IGNORED

Atari 8-bit IRC client: FujiChat (0.3 released)

Urchlay

• 9 months later...

hello, it's possile connect to internet/chat via APE? i try today (irc.tobug.net), but doesnt work

No, APE doesn't support SLIP. FujiChat uses a standard SLIP link, not special Atari-specific software... if you're on Windows, see if you can find a program called "slirp" for the PC side.

hello, it's possile connect to internet/chat via APE? i try today (irc.tobug.net), but doesnt work

No, APE doesn't support SLIP. FujiChat uses a standard SLIP link, not special Atari-specific software... if you're on Windows, see if you can find a program called "slirp" for the PC side.

thank you.. but.. slirp? is it DLL or what? o have no slirp in my comp

It's a regular program, you download & install it... I can't really give you any useful advice for using Slirp on Windows, as I don't use Windows, but it implements the standard SLIP protocol, so it should work fine with FujiChat.

About the site... I've been going through what you might call financial difficulties lately, haven't had time to work on FujiChat much, nor set up a new site for it. The project isn't dead, but it's definitely on hold for now.

It's a regular program, you download & install it... I can't really give you any useful advice for using Slirp on Windows, as I don't use Windows, but it implements the standard SLIP protocol, so it should work fine with FujiChat.

About the site... I've been going through what you might call financial difficulties lately, haven't had time to work on FujiChat much, nor set up a new site for it. The project isn't dead, but it's definitely on hold for now.

i found only this:

http://ag.arizona.edu/calsnet/slirp/Winxpslirp.htm

http://ag.arizona.edu/agnet/slirp/winx.htm

no executable

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Rather than have the 8-bit do the heavy lifting with TCP/IP, why not just use the "Internet Modem" functionality built into APE/SIO2OSX and just connect on Port 6667 and deal with only the Application Layer IRC protocol from the Atari? This way the same code could be useful with Lantronix Serial<->Ethernet adapters.

I understand the "cool factor" of a full IP stack running on the 8-bit but really very little hardware exists to make it usable for most folks as 850's and R-Verters aren't always easy to find cheap. Setting up a SLIP server on the PC side is a lot of work for most folks as well. Internet Modem functionality works out of the box with SIO2OSX and APE as far as know. ISP's generally don't use SLIP anymore so it's not like you could hook up an XM301 and connect these days.

Not trying to knock anybody's hard work, this is very cool!

Well I don't have the source, but I found the documentation at web.archive.org. But seriously, your probably not gonna be hacking 8-bit TCP/IP C code.

In the zip file you will find:

atariserver_slip.sh

Changelog

fujichat-0.3.atr

fujichat-0.5pre3.atr

HOWTO

README

Version 4 is still available at links posted above.

I'm not sure of the differences in 0.5-pre3, and I do not have a 'virgin' image, so this will be configured for my setup, with an Atari 850 at 9600 baud, sorry. It's easy to configure, there is a menu item to configure it.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, may i dig this one up once more?

I just managed to run my old script in slightly modified form on my Linux MiNT laptop, with standard "slattach" binary:

#!/bin/sh

modprobe slip &> /dev/null
ifconfig sl0 down &> /dev/null

slattach -L -p slip -s 9600 /dev/ttyUSB0 &
sleep 1

ifconfig sl0 192.168.0.1 pointopoint 192.168.0.2

ifconfig sl0 mtu 576

echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
iptables -t nat -F
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

Since i got a USB Serial Adapter cable with FTDI chip, i changed from ttyS0 to ttyUSB0.

On the Atari i run Fujichat 0.4 from my own link, and i am able to connect and chat.

I have a Fujichat05pre2.atr on my CF card, but it fails to read its own config file nor saves a valid new one.

However, in addidtion to FC 0.4 it offers 19200 as connection speed (FC has 9600 max) and

i recall the editor was fixed, too.

Does someone still have the latest Fujichat 05pre3.atr and can offer a link? I'll happily put it on my

webspace (you see my old Link still works).

Can someone recall what a8_slattach had patched/fixed over the standard binary?

Greets,

Beetle

Edited by Beetle