IGNORED

Newest Tempest Xtreem Video showing higher level colors and all the music

Kjmann

Recreating original Pokey arcade sounds isn't always so easy.

Many machines ran their Pokey/s at different clock speeds. Not so much a problem for something like pure tone or digitised effects, but it would make some poly effects hard to reproduce.

Is there a set of FX to compare to?

Well, I really hope the music will be recreated. It sums up all that people made yelling "pokey is a horrible flat sounding chip"...

It doesn't compete to this great product at all.

Well, I really hope the music will be recreated. It sums up all that people made yelling "pokey is a horrible flat sounding chip"...

Considering the limits of Pokey, I feel we have done a pretty good job at recreating music, sound effects, and have even done some digital sample play back. This is beyond what most others have ever done on an Atari 8-bit.

Emkay, has any one used your music and sound effects for a game project? Many of us programmers are not really music people or don't have tons of time to mess with every aspect of the game creation process. Having different people working on a different part does help. We do not appreciate negative comments regarding our software.

Considering the limits of Pokey, I feel we have done a pretty good job at recreating music, sound effects, and have even done some digital sample play back.

The only limits are in the used Tracker and the buggy emulations, caused by half truth that is told about POKEY.

This is beyond what most others have ever done on an Atari 8-bit.

Well, my games already used 2 point synth sounds back in the 90's and one of them has a full digitized title soundtrack (Galactic Raid) and it is a short action game in 16 colours.

Just for example...

Emkay, has any one used your music and sound effects for a game project?

Not in games. I'm also not really satisfied with them, because of the differences when creating sounds in the emulation...

Many of us programmers are not really music people or don't have tons of time to mess with every aspect of the game creation process. Having different people working on a different part does help.

I thought you already have someone special for making the music for the game?

We do not appreciate negative comments regarding our software.

Look. You can tell a child not to touch a hot oven. It doesn't listen to you until it touches and gets hurt. Then you say "I told you not to touch the oven"....

I think you will get speechless hearing the child saying then: I do not appreciate negative comments when getting hurt" ....

The usage of generators "C" and "E" at 64kHz is horrible to everyones ears. Because they are "Base" sounds that consist higher frequencys than a soprano singer reaches...

So It's better to NOT use them and to make some beep or percussion noise.... Or to use 15kHz instead.

Edited by emkay

We do not appreciate negative comments regarding our software.

Look. You can tell a child not to touch a hot oven. It doesn't listen to you until it touches and gets hurt. Then you say "I told you not to touch the oven"....

I think you will get speechless hearing the child saying then: I do not appreciate negative comments when getting hurt" ....

Unless he's even more touchy than I thought, he probably meant something like this: "We do not appreciate other than constructive comments regarding our software."

BTW emkay, do you discourage people intentionally or out of sheer ignorance and foolishness? :D

BTW emkay, do you discourage people intentionally or out of sheer ignorance and foolishness? :D

LOL

The sheer ignorance is on your side, seeing me doing stuff for decades on the A8 without any credit (it's ok for me, because I'm doing it for my own fun). And, I really hope the world will be saved from further shit like the stuff KJMAN is doing. Now I have something personal with him. It started back last year when he throwed my privat message into the open forums and now I see his manner.

I'm really pissed now.

I don't know in which bed of velvet he has grownup. But, for sure he has the need of beeing in the "center" of everyones eye. Even if it is only a small group like the atarians. There is no real behavior at him to do something for the A8. He wants to be the Hero of the A8 Scene. But, sadly, he makes too much mistakes. Not even able to handle POKEY in the easy way. That's why he cannot do any changes on the tunes.

peteym5 is doing a great job with the game and the digi speech. But KJMAN will stop development only by the cause someone has critism about stuff that you also can read on youtube where games using his "music". But KJMAN is doing as he is doing the whole project himself. And, why the heck is he posting videos if he don't like critism?

Wake up peteym5!

Good Lord. KJMAN cannot get any critism and whines on a small community that is happy for everything new. But do we really need new stuff that makes things worse?

KJMAN's neurosis is clearly there.

Have a look at ERU. He made the best "retro" game of every 8 bit in 2007, in graphics sound and gameplay. But do you read something like "President of the World" in his signature?

Edited by emkay

LOL

The sheer ignorance is on your side, seeing me doing stuff for decades on the A8 without any credit (it's ok for me, because I'm doing it for my own fun). And, I really hope the world will be saved from further shit like the stuff KJMAN is doing. Now I have something personal with him. It started back last year when he throwed my privat message into the open forums and now I see his manner.

I'm really pissed now.

Look, I really like your graphics, and even a few of your songs, too. (But I do hate hearing the rest and I'm not alone. Will the world be saved if you stop composing? I don't think so..... :roll: ) BTW: demonstrating your certainly vast understanding of the Pokey chip by songs that so many people can't even stand listening to the end is IMHO a silly idea. ;)

Dunno what you mean by "without any credit". Fandal clearly states your authorship, for example. :) If you still think I'm ignorant you need help (not from me, I'm not a doctor :)). And how does the stuff you have done over the decades imply you don't discourage people? Can you possibly explain it?

I don't know in which bed of velvet he has grownup. But, for sure he has the need of beeing in the "center" of everyones eye. Even if it is only a small group like the atarians. There is no real behavior at him to do something for the A8. He wants to be the Hero of the A8 Scene. But, sadly, he makes too much mistakes. Not even able to handle POKEY in the easy way. That's why he cannot do any changes on the tunes.

I can't judge the technical side but I still like his/their work. It's good enough for me. Will you start hating me and others for that?

peteym5 is doing a great job with the game and the digi speech. But KJMAN will stop development only by the cause someone has critism about stuff that you also can read on youtube where games using his "music". But KJMAN is doing as he is doing the whole project himself. And, why the heck is he posting videos if he don't like critism?

Maybe he doesn't like YOUR criticism? Not surprising.....

In case you haven't noticed there's a big difference between saying something like:

#1 "it's good but it could be even better if you did this and that"

and

#2 "it's total shit but if you do as I say......".

Hint for the dumb ones: #1=encouraging #=totally, completely and wholly discouraging.

Wake up peteym5!

Good Lord. KJMAN cannot get any critism and whines on a small community that is happy for everything new. But do we really need new stuff that makes things worse?

How about you, are you happy for everything new? Obviously not.

How exactly do kjmann's products make things worse? I want to know, enlighten me, humble and ignorant user!

Sorry but I believe he will make things worse only if he DOESN'T finish what he's working on.

Just out of curiosity, what games are YOU working on right now? I'm eager to play them, despite the author, hehe. (I guess I'm not biased enough.....silly me.:))

KJMAN's neurosis is clearly there.

Have a look at ERU. He made the best "retro" game of every 8 bit in 2007, in graphics sound and gameplay. But do you read something like "President of the World" in his signature?

I'd rather be neurotic than psychotic, to be honest.

Despite the fact I find his signature kinda funny it doesn't offend me. I guess it's only you who it makes mad..... And if it's envy that drives you, may I ask who prevents you from having your own signature/company?

Hey kjmann, if you're actually reading this, why not set up a poll "Do you want to see our games finished?". We'll all clearly see how many fans and haters you have. I'm serious. :)

Edited by pepax

Look, I really like your graphics, and even a few of your songs, too. (But I do hate hearing the rest and I'm not alone. Will the world be saved if you stop composing? I don't think so..... :roll: ) BTW: demonstrating your certainly vast understanding of the Pokey chip by songs that so many people can't even stand listening to the end is IMHO a silly idea. ;)

That's where the ignorance jumps in.

I wrote everytime that I'm not a "professional musician" and I'm using RMT because it has this MOD import function. So it was the chosen way for me to give SOUND demonstrations.

By all the ignorance, have you ever realized that I'm almost alone on that development since years?

Tebe, f. e. , acted on several issues and added features to handle Atari graphics better and better in G2F.

But on the Sound-side really nothing happens. And I ask myself WHY?

Seeing Gamevideos of the A8 playing some SID or remixed chiptune, seeing people customizing a SID into the A8 or some Audio-DAC...

Or , vice versa, people only find sounds interesting, if they suck the last bit of CPU sources out of the Atari.

But, a simple change on a POKEY tracker, which makes it possible to handle all sounds active, is like saying "Jehova"...

Dunno what you mean by "without any credit". Fandal clearly states your authorship, for example. :) If you still think I'm ignorant you need help (not from me, I'm not a doctor :)). And how does the stuff you have done over the decades imply you don't discourage people? Can you possibly explain it?

I'm also no Braindoctor. Don't ask me why people act different on the same spot.

Example:

Beeing a man, just go to another man and tell him that you love him.

Later you will realize whether he is a hetero- or a homosexual.

In the 1st case you will lose your teeth (probably)

In the 2nd case he may want to kiss you....(but only if you look good to him, which is also a matter you cannot see before start talking)

And, from my position I cannot see if you read the text in a positive or negative way...

I can't judge the technical side but I still like his/their work. It's good enough for me. Will you start hating me and others for that?

Why should I ? The only point here would be that, if showing the possibilites of the A8, I'd turn the volume down before starting the game.

Despite the fact I find his signature kinda funny it doesn't offend me. I guess it's only you who it makes mad..... And if it's envy that drives you, may I ask who prevents you from having your own signature/company?

Actually, I have my own company since 5 years. ;)

But, it has nothing to do with graphics, sound, or software development. Everything Atari related is just "Hobby"

That's where the ignorance jumps in.

I wrote everytime that I'm not a "professional musician" and I'm using RMT because it has this MOD import function. So it was the chosen way for me to give SOUND demonstrations.

By all the ignorance, have you ever realized that I'm almost alone on that development since years?

Oh, you think somebody's saying you can't compose a decent tune. That's not the case. We know you can but you even seem to post those horrible screeches on purpose, unless it was some bloody hacker who renamed your topic to "I want your ears bleeding ;)". ;) I would also recommend to rename the Hardsynth thread to "hard to listen" if it were possible.

And since you keep avoiding some fairly important questions, I'll ask one more: what's the point of demonstrating some previously unknown, not emulated (or whatever) feature of Pokey on a pile of songs hardly anyone can stand listening to? And do you really think it helps your case?

Oh I got it now, maybe..... If you are saying that the RMT songs you post are mere SOUND "demonstrations" my questions still applies - can't you possibly produce any nice sounds which still demonstrate what you want? I see no point in presenting some otherwise cool features on a bunch of scary sounds.... Do you think that, say, BMW would gain any customers by showing a brand new state-of-the-art breakthrough blahblah whatever hydrogen-fuelled car if it were ugly as hell?

Tebe, f. e. , acted on several issues and added features to handle Atari graphics better and better in G2F.

But on the Sound-side really nothing happens. And I ask myself WHY?

Seeing Gamevideos of the A8 playing some SID or remixed chiptune, seeing people customizing a SID into the A8 or some Audio-DAC...

Please show them how to do it better. No need to just point it out over and over again.

Or , vice versa, people only find sounds interesting, if they suck the last bit of CPU sources out of the Atari.

Personally, I don't have any CPU meter installed in my 600XL to help me judge the "quality" of songs. Does anyone?

But, a simple change on a POKEY tracker, which makes it possible to handle all sounds active, is like saying "Jehova"...

The question is if you tried hard enough (not pressing hard!) to explain yourself. Rumor has it that the target of your highly demotivating complaints still isn't 100% sure what changes you are proposing. No reasonable person would bother trying to implement a requested new feature he doesn't even completely understand, even if he can manage to completely disregard your rather impolite behavior.

I wish you had the RMT sources to show us all.... on the other hand I understand Raster's reasons not to release them. And they are certainly NOT personal, by the way. There's no need for 20 different flavors of RMT, is it?

I'm also no Braindoctor. Don't ask me why people act different on the same spot.

Example:

Beeing a man, just go to another man and tell him that you love him.

Later you will realize whether he is a hetero- or a homosexual.

In the 1st case you will lose your teeth (probably)

In the 2nd case he may want to kiss you....(but only if you look good to him, which is also a matter you cannot see before start talking)

And, from my position I cannot see if you read the text in a positive or negative way...

What a weird example. I didn't get it anyway.

Why should I ? The only point here would be that, if showing the possibilites of the A8, I'd turn the volume down before starting the game.

Why should you? That's what we all want to know. And why should you keep discouraging people?

Also, you seem to say something different every time. Just to remind you: last time you said

And, I really hope the world will be saved from further shit like the stuff KJMAN is doing.

Are you backing out or something? And do you realize that you can't turn the volume down before starting a game that eventually doesn't see the light of the day thanks to you?

I sincerely hope kjmann and co. soon recover from the shock and resume work on their promising games....

Meanwhile, you can also work on something that will make you famous, because your unhelpful comments made you rather infamous so far.

Actually, I have my own company since 5 years. ;)

But, it has nothing to do with graphics, sound, or software development. Everything Atari related is just "Hobby"

So what's wrong with kjmann's signature? Is he not the president of his own company? Are you angry that his company is based on his hobby and yours isn't? Or what's your problem? If you can't even explain your opinions (or rather insults?) you'll keep looking stupid which you certainly don't want, do you?

a lot of things here are at least 50% of misinterpretation and not 100% perfect english... ;)

I hope so.

But why does emkay offend people OR get offended himself instead of trying to explain the matter once more? IMHO if someone has the right to tell kjmann he's neurotic it's definitely not emkay.....

And a quick sanity check: do you Heaven think I told emkay something harsh without a reason? If so, I have absolutely no problem with apologizing.. :) I can't ask emkay himself for obvious reasons. :D

Maybe you could act as an interpreter for emkay, since you think it's 50% misinterpretation AND you also speak German. ;)

Here's my modest proposal: you can start with translating emkay's suggestions towards improving RMT, not only I'm really curious what he's trying to say (but only the technical stuff, please, all insults can safely get lost in translation ;)).

Edited by pepax

So what's wrong with kjmann's signature? Is he not the president of his own company? Are you angry that his company is based on his hobby and yours isn't? Or what's your problem? If you can't even explain your opinions (or rather insults?) you'll keep looking stupid which you certainly don't want, do you?

Seems, I know more about him as you might think.

1st time I wrote a private message to him, asking about doing some hardsynth stuff. His reaction was.... hm..... how to name this in english..... how about "over-over" ?

It was like trying to kill him , or else.

Without my permission he made the PRIVATe Mail official and dropped a Line on the Top that could be like "should I made my music or this Hardsynth crap".

Maybe he thought:

Really, there was a guy named emkay that didn't write "hey, god, give me more of your drugs"... no, that silly guy asked me, King Jesus, about doing my 100% holy stuff different. Holy me...

And there is more that I am not talking about here. Because I know about privacy....

End of discussion here (for me)!

No, I don't want to know the details and hardly anyone does.

Hereby I would like to politely ask both emkay and kjmann not to "talk" to each other on this forum again, at least for the sake of other members. :)

If all members refrain from overreacting AtariAge will be an even nicer place to hang out.....

And a final note to emkay: kjmann is not the only person who wishes you left him alone. I'm not one of them yet but anyway, if someone gave me a dollar for every reasonable question you left unanswered I'd be quite rich now....... :rolling:

I hereby vote that emkays posts be moved to the hate thread. I understand he was trying to make a point. He may have been too strong in his opinion over a work in progress. If emkay feels like he was snubbed because his 'offer' was rejected, I can understand. Such a great project, who would not want to be a part of it! I think we have hurt feeling on both sides. Atlantis Games Group would ask for coders, artists, and musicians if they felt they needed the help or were looking to hire a person.

All I can say is awesome beta!! I for one can not wait for the Release!

No, I don't want to know the details and hardly anyone does.

Hereby I would like to politely ask both emkay and kjmann not to "talk" to each other on this forum again, at least for the sake of other members. :)

If all members refrain from overreacting AtariAge will be an even nicer place to hang out.....

And a final note to emkay: kjmann is not the only person who wishes you left him alone. I'm not one of them yet but anyway, if someone gave me a dollar for every reasonable question you left unanswered I'd be quite rich now....... :rolling:

Thankyou guys. I am hard at work on the Cartridge Image right now and normally try not to get caught up in these little battles. Maybe I have stated things differently, but seeing the same negative comments about software and the Atari itself does get tiresome. I cannot disagree that using Hardsynth has potential, but we like to mix in sound effects, and instruments playing at a higher octaves, so many of us have to compromise. Going to 15 Khz, ties up all 4 sound channels. Something I thought about is using the volume only mode for bass sounds, play it somewhat similar to a digital sound, but need some simple processing for frequency and decay.