IGNORED

Atari 5200 HSC Round 33 *Jungle Hunt*

darthkur

jungle_hunt_marquee.jpg

s_JungleHunt_5.png

A pair of hideous cannibals have made away with your better half. You now must face aggressive vine swinging gorillas, ravenous crocodiles, treacherous landslides and the masked flesh eaters themselves in order to save your companion.

Since this is the only common game the got a vote I figured we'd start out with this one.

Emulators fine as is whatever controller you feel the most comfortable with. Screenshots are great but not mandatory.

Settings: Regular (default)

Contest ends on: 11-24-08 at 1:00am EST.

Current High Scores:

1st: darthkur - 43,270

2nd: bohoki - 42,860

3rd: Phantom - 26,840

4th: Cafeman - 21,280

5th: MIKE5200 - 6,000

Current Standings: (using the 2600 HSC scoring formula) *

1st - Doctorclu (93)

2nd - darthkur (71)

3rd - Mike5200 (44)

4th - Shannon (39)

5th - Atari5200 (38)

6th - Bydoempire (33)

7th - phuzaxeman (22)

8th - midnight8 (13)

9th - Hex6500 (10)

9th - Laserhawk (10)

9th - Lord Thag (10)

9th - shadow460 (10)

10th - JetSet ( 8 )

11th - RXD (7)

12th - Goochman (4)

* = I tallied this list utilizing the final scores, starting with Round 22 *The Dreadnaught Factor*. Since the previous installment included three different games at once, which I felt would unnecessarily complicate things, I thought I'd start with the one afterward. I also omitted Round 25 * Super Breakout* since it seemed quite disorganized.

My thought's are to renew the overall standings once per year. Since I began this cycle with Round 22, which ended on 2-09-2008, the new cycle will commence around the first week or two of February 2009.

I hope this is acceptable with everyone or at least the majority of us. :D

Edited by darthkur

Should be Round 32

Actually no. Our previous host entitled both Frogger II and Koffi as Round 31 so Koffi should have been Round 32. Thanks for your input though. Please join in for Jungle Hunt if you wish.

Yep, I see now..two 31. hehe Anyways i'll see if i can get pass the Rocks without killing myself. :roll:

gat dang vine monkeys

junglev4.png

i lost a couple lives to them dang vine monkeys

one to the gator leave them gators alone they are only worth about as much a pebble hop anyway

i died after the snap

funny the rock level on the second go around is the hardest sicne they throw 2 at the same time occasionally they didnt do that on the third go around

the vines are much harder on the 5200 as opposed to the 2600

dont know if this should count as its a bit easier using my digital controller on the emulator than on my 52oo with the altoid controller

and its hard to take a pic of my tv screen

especially since pause doesn't seem to work

.....Anyways i'll see if i can get pass the Rocks without killing myself. :roll:

I swear the rocks are about the most difficult part of the game. Especially, as bohoki mentioned, when they come hurling at you two at a time. In fact in the original Arcade version they throw as much as three at a time in the higher levels. :-o

The only other part that I find really hard are those infernal monkeys that throw you off the vines.

gat dang vine monkeys

junglev4.png

i lost a couple lives to them dang vine monkeys

one to the gator leave them gators alone they are only worth about as much a pebble hop anyway

i died after the snap

funny the rock level on the second go around is the hardest since they throw 2 at the same time occasionally they didnt do that on the third go around

the vines are much harder on the 5200 as opposed to the 2600

dont know if this should count as its a bit easier using my digital controller on the emulator than on my 52oo with the altoid controller

and its hard to take a pic of my tv screen

especially since pause doesn't seem to work

Sure it counts. It doesn't matter what controller configuration you use. Actually, I find it more difficult using the digital controller for my PC when using an emulator. Then again all I have is a lame flightstick. I sure can't wait to get my hands on a Stella adapter. ;)

Remember to press up to jump high on the rocks. I hate when I jump low and have to wait to land and get mauled be the coming boulder.

Yeah, I hate that. Also when you end up jumping straight up instead of up and forward like was intended. I've lost more than a few lives on that maneuver mishap. :D

i'm curious the monkeys go up the vine every swing then start comming down every swing when they reach the top of the vine

but when i am on the vine they stop going down per swing i was on the 4th time around do the monkeys ever start comming down on you while you are on the vine?

i sir tip my hat to your point tally if only i killed a couple more gators

Thanks. I got to the 4th level as well. I love the color changes for each level on this game. As far as the monkeys go I too noticed that they stopped moving downwards when I was on the same vine. That's odd. They are supposed to keep moving down each swing of the vine. Maybe that was too much going on in the same area for it to be coded that way. I'm just guessing though. I really know little to nil about actual programming.

i'm curious the monkeys go up the vine every swing then start comming down every swing when they reach the top of the vine

but when i am on the vine they stop going down per swing i was on the 4th time around do the monkeys ever start comming down on you while you are on the vine?

i sir tip my hat to your point tally if only i killed a couple more gators

I played a couple games last night, boy this game is harder than I remember. I was losing lives left and right!

All the games are harder than I remember! Thats what drives me nuts!

Ok I didnt get a screen shot but put me down for 26,840. I plan on beating that and getting over 50,00 by the end and if I dont do it and get a Screenshot up, then just delete my score here.

Back to the games, All of them are harder than I remember and take a few weeks to get back into the groove of things, by then, the HSC is over for the game. I play too many games in short bursts is my problem. But If I picked up Splinter Cell, I'd beat the entire game in one night and I cant get back to playing these Atari games well too often unless I stay with a game for a bit. I play all my Atari games more than anything but Im like a virgin at the bunny ranch with them. I have too many to choose from and with these multicarts, its way too easy to say hey, let me go play this for a bit and switch and switch and switch. When I was a kid, I used to play Atari like I would a new PS2 game that I like and that aint many, til its done. Now its ok let me play star wars, ok half hour later, let me go play keystone kapers. I am the epitome of ADD :P when it comes to playing games anymore! :D

UGH! Ok, back to get some more Jungle Hunt in, I used to LOVE this game in the arcade.

I suck at killing the Gators these days BTW! Cheers :)

Ok I didnt get a screen shot but put me down for 26,840. I plan on beating that and getting over 50,00 by the end and if I dont do it and get a Screenshot up, then just delete my score here.

Screenshots aren't mandatory so your scores count no matter what. I'm just glad to have people join in and enjoy some nice friendly competition.

..... I play too many games in short bursts is my problem.....I have too many to choose from and with these multicarts, its way too easy to say hey, let me go play this for a bit and switch and switch and switch. When I was a kid, I used to play Atari like I would a new PS2 game that I like and that aint many, til its done. Now its ok let me play star wars, ok half hour later, let me go play keystone kapers. I am the epitome of ADD :P when it comes to playing games anymore! :D

Hahaha, nice analogy. :D Don't feel bad though, I'm the same way. I have a real rough time focusing on any one game for very long when I have a myriad of them to pop in at will. Too bad there's no way to play them all at once. :P

Please correct the "Contest Ends " Date, it can't be correct unless a free Tardis is thrown in.

There you went and ruined the surprise. That was to be the grand prize for this round. I've had that thing sitting in my living room taking up space for nothing now. Oh well, I'll just have to send it back. :P

post-10357-1226960492.jpg

Seriously though, thanks for pointing that out. :D