IGNORED

yet another 5200 problem (Problem SOLVED)

Corby

i have two 5200's both 4 ports

1 has screen play, but the player 1 port doesn't work i have another 5200 that does work so the controller is not the problem. and there is no sound.

the other one has the green screen, someone said it could be bad rom????

and for the one with no controll or sound what could be the problem?? port one had a couple of those little prongs pushed in a bit so i took a pair of needle nose pliers, and pulled them out. didn't work. i pulled out all the ic's out of their sockets. didn't work still. the solder on port 1 are not cracked or loose.

So i need to know which ones are the rom chips.

post-19641-1226466448_thumb.jpg

if thats the problem????

Edited by corbysatarigame

1 has screen play, but the player 1 port doesn't work i have another 5200 that does work so the controller is not the problem. and there is no sound.

and for the one with no controll or sound what could be the problem?? port one had a couple of those little prongs pushed in a bit so i took a pair of needle nose pliers, and pulled them out. didn't work. i pulled out all the ic's out of their sockets. didn't work still. the solder on port 1 are not cracked or loose.

if thats the problem????

For the board with the green screen try taking the ram (row of small chips on the left) from the board where the controller doesn't work and see if that's the problem. If that doesn't work, you could also try replacing the larger IC's one by one between those two boards. On my 5200's the ram was the most common problem causing a green screen.

-Jeff

Edited by jwierer

if thats the problem????

For the board with the green screen try taking the ram (row of small chips on the left) from the board where the controller doesn't work and see if that's the problem. If that doesn't work, you could also try replacing the larger IC's one by one between those two boards. On my 5200's the ram was the most common problem causing a green screen.

-Jeff

ram was fine, the 4 main chips in the middle the 4 bigs ones!!! the top left one near the cartridge slot, that one did not work on the one with the bad controller port and no sound. but the good one did on the 5200 with the green screen.......well yes and no. it didn't give any pic at all but a black one.

so i started looking around the board somemore "the green screen board" and i saw a burn mark right underneth the cart slot. not the side where all the chips are but the other side. i took pic of it but my digycam is a pile of crap.

So is there any thoughts on what could be wrong with the 5200 board that has no sound and player 1 port isn't working???

if thats the problem????

-Jeff

ram was fine, the 4 main chips in the middle the 4 bigs ones!!! the top left one near the cartridge slot, that one did not work on the one with the bad controller port and no sound. but the good one did on the 5200 with the green screen.......well yes and no. it didn't give any pic at all but a black one.

so i started looking around the board somemore "the green screen board" and i saw a burn mark right underneth the cart slot. not the side where all the chips are but the other side. i took pic of it but my digycam is a pile of crap.

So is there any thoughts on what could be wrong with the 5200 board that has no sound and player 1 port isn't working???

I've used the field services manual with some success available from here. For sounds try swapping out the Pokey between the two units that are semi-working.

-Jeff

Search around the forums and I'll bet you find all of the information you need.

Searching on +5200 +chip +controller +port I came up with these, among many other relevant threads:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...ontroller++port

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...c=98403&hl=

The 2600 adapter as I understand it just passes through video and audio. I guess that narrows down your choices to a small degree, but not much. I'd first suspect RAM chips based on what I've experienced and read in the forums here.

Search the forum for 5200 black screen (green screen is another RAM related failure mode that might give you some clues). I was able to change the screen behavior by swapping around RAM chips in mine. I think a failed chip in various locations allows the BIOS or game program to execute up to a certain point then fail. If just swapping around the chips within your unit eventually changes the screen, I'd say that it's a safe bet you have bad RAM.

If you're analytical enough about it, you can very likely figure out which of your chips is bad by identifying one physical position that seems to cause a change when swapped with another chip.

For example, swap 1 & 2. If there's no change, it's possible that neither of them is the culprit. So, swap 1 & 3, 1 & 4, 1 & 5, etc. Then 2 & 3, 2 & 4, 2 & 5 and so on until you see something happen. Once you find a swap pair that causes a change, focus on swapping one of those 2 with others to see which one of those 2 seems to be causing the problem.

(Of course, you'll remove power, swap the chips then power the unit back up. Don't swap the chips with the unit powered.)

Having a known good chip could make the process quicker. But, there's always the possibility that there's more than one bad chip.

If your chips aren't socketed this will be a very difficult troubleshooting method.

It's easier to pick out suspect chips if you understand each one's function in the 5200, but you can analyze each chip irrespective of it's role in the 5200 and identify a problem.

For the logic chips in my system, I found the problem using a simple logic probe (and all of the patience I could muster). Have the logic diagram/pinout handy for each chip. Check the input signals and find the output(s) that don't match the predicted output. I found a chip that had an output condition that wasn't supposed to be possible given the input conditions. Of course, not every possible input condition will exist at the time you're probing, but it's a method that's likely to work while the unit is exhibiting a failure.

If you don't understand the functionality of each chip (independent of it's role in the 5200), you'd have to get yourself up to speed on that to do this actual troubleshooting and identification of the problem yourself.

I haven't seen a comprehensive step-by-step troubleshooting tool to identify a specific bad chip, but that would be handy for the less geeky types who'd like to try their hand at fixing their own consoles.

Edited by BigO

The 2600 adapter as I understand it just passes through video and audio. I guess that narrows down your choices to a small degree, but not much. I'd first suspect RAM chips based on what I've experienced and read in the forums here.

Search the forum for 5200 black screen (green screen is another RAM related failure mode that might give you some clues). I was able to change the screen behavior by swapping around RAM chips in mine. I think a failed chip in various locations allows the BIOS or game program to execute up to a certain point then fail. If just swapping around the chips within your unit eventually changes the screen, I'd say that it's a safe bet you have bad RAM.

If you're analytical enough about it, you can very likely figure out which of your chips is bad by identifying one physical position that seems to cause a change when swapped with another chip.

For example, swap 1 & 2. If there's no change, it's possible that neither of them is the culprit. So, swap 1 & 3, 1 & 4, 1 & 5, etc. Then 2 & 3, 2 & 4, 2 & 5 and so on until you see something happen. Once you find a swap pair that causes a change, focus on swapping one of those 2 with others to see which one of those 2 seems to be causing the problem.

(Of course, you'll remove power, swap the chips then power the unit back up. Don't swap the chips with the unit powered.)

Having a known good chip could make the process quicker. But, there's always the possibility that there's more than one bad chip.

If your chips aren't socketed this will be a very difficult troubleshooting method.

It's easier to pick out suspect chips if you understand each one's function in the 5200, but you can analyze each chip irrespective of it's role in the 5200 and identify a problem.

For the logic chips in my system, I found the problem using a simple logic probe (and all of the patience I could muster). Have the logic diagram/pinout handy for each chip. Check the input signals and find the output(s) that don't match the predicted output. I found a chip that had an output condition that wasn't supposed to be possible given the input conditions. Of course, not every possible input condition will exist at the time you're probing, but it's a method that's likely to work while the unit is exhibiting a failure.

If you don't understand the functionality of each chip (independent of it's role in the 5200), you'd have to get yourself up to speed on that to do this actual troubleshooting and identification of the problem yourself.

I haven't seen a comprehensive step-by-step troubleshooting tool to identify a specific bad chip, but that would be handy for the less geeky types who'd like to try their hand at fixing their own consoles.

my theory is that someone who shall remain nameless jerked a cart while the red light was still on

would that cause a ram overload?

Search around the forums and I'll bet you find all of the information you need.

Searching on +5200 +chip +controller +port I came up with these, among many other relevant threads:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...c=98403&hl=

the first link helped greatly

you mentioned to take out the 4052's u9 u11, well i did that one at a time and sure enough U9 4052 was the rotton apple, controller works. so does sound but i don't think thta had anything to do with it.

so thanks BigO

thanks everyone for your help :)

if anyone has this problem, player 1 port does not responed, or any other ports look on your board.

just above the player ports, there are 4 small chips they'll read CD4052BEXV RCA 223 (this is on 4 port, don't know if they're same for the 2 port) if you don't have any spares, then use port 3 and 4 chips if not using, and try switching them and see if this works for you!!!!!!

AGAIN THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!

ps the 5200 with the green screen is now just a parts machine... oh well :x