IGNORED

pros and cons of the NES top loading

ashbourn

pros include the solid cart connection which stops the blinking screen problem and the dogbone controller which is kinder on the hands for long play sessions. cons include certian controller problems like the zapper and the four player if i remember correctly. other points are the lack of RCA A/V outs and a problem i have heard others mention but never seen with the 7 toploaders i've had, some sort of lines that appear on the screen. its also cooler looking and takes up less space. if you're a serious NES player its worth the money...

oh and they are not as rare as you might think, its more that people want them so bad they will pay more for them.

• 2 weeks later...
Of course if there were any documentation on repairind oldstyle NES systems, I'd be just about as pleased.

I've randomly come across several myself just Google searching for Nintendo info. Most recommend either cleaning or replacing the 72 pin connector, some say it's as simple as "bending up" the pins to make it have better contact with the cartridge. One of these days I may get around to trying it on my old blinker, but since I have a top loader I use for most of my games it's not a huge priority. :D

The vertical lines that cause that problem are not strong, they're actually rather faint. You can see them best in SMB1 with the blue background.

I opened up my front-loader NES and bent the cartridge connector prongs so they make a firm contact ( a little too firm actually). I like it better than my top-loader because I can set my intv2 on top of it.

The top loaders definately look very tacky and non nintendoish.

They apparently play both ntsc's and pal (modding the front loader is easy) which is a big +

No av is a big turn off.

The top loaders here are as common as combat as they didnt sell very well, Standard price is like $5-$10 Aus dollars which translates to $2.70 - $11 US.

I have found that getting a scouring pad on all of my NES carts has stopped any problems with the image and blinking, thus creating no reason for me to own a top loader. (i'll get one anyways to mach the famicom disc system)

Anyone in aus who wants one? there are several in my local vinnies going for $5