IGNORED

Commodore 64 A/V box hack

RARusk

Recently I tried to remove the RF Modulator from my Commodore 64 and replace it with a PlayStation A/V plug (similar to the A/V hack that I did to my Atari Jaguar). I didn't like the original C-64 A/V cable and I wanted to put in an alternative. Long story short, it was a bad idea and I FUBARed the motherboard.

Luckily I had a spare motherboard but it was non-functional due to Black Screen. Fortunately, all it was was a bad memory chip and I was able to replace it and get it working. However, I was NOT going to try an internal A/V hack again.

But I wanted an alternative to the old C-64 A/V cable.

So I decided to use an Xbox Advanced A/V Pack and hack it into something I could use with my C-64. Unfortunately, the wires were too thin and too much of a pain to work with when trying to solder it into the plug that would connect it to the C-64. I ultimately dismantled that unit and removed the two frerrite pieces from the cord.

In my junk box I had an ATI A/V input cable. It had a molded box (in purple) with all of the necessary A/V plugs on one end and another plug, that connected into the computer or video card, on the other end of the cable. Although it is an input cable it could be made into an output device.

I shortened the cable to about two feet and put on the ferrite pieces. I cut off pin 7 and 8 on the 8-pin plug to ensure that it would fit the C-64 A/V plug (the 8-pin plug on the C-64 is arranged in a U-shape and most 8-pin plugs found at most electronics stores are arranged in a circle shape - and won't fit the C-64 plug unless pin 7 and 8 are removed).

The wires were of better quality than with the Xbox A/V box and were a bit easier to work on and solder. After assembling the unit I gave it a test run and it works perfectly.

Both C-Video and S-Video are much cleaner than with the old cabling. S-Video is close, but not quite, RGB quality. And I can use standard RCA and S-Video cables. Of course, your milage may vary depending on the monitor and cables used.

I also have a couple of pictures:

post-5181-1226630476_thumb.jpg

This is the C-64 A/V box. The 8-pin plug I used has a very nice and solid metal hood.

post-5181-1226630695_thumb.jpg

And here is a photo of it in action using the game "Red Storm Rising". BTW, the other monitor is my Mac desktop.

And, while I am on the topic of "Red Storm Rising", if you're a fan of the C-64 version of the game then I have a VERY special treat for you coming soon. Really!

No, this was what I was trying to do originally:

post-5181-1226635091_thumb.jpg

I was trying to put in a PS2 A/V plug into the C-64 similar to what I did with the Jaguar in the above picture so I could use more commonly found and better quality PlayStation A/V cables. But removing the C-64 RF Modulator to make room for the PS2 plug was not a good idea because I found out, too late of course, is that it handled all of the video processing for the computer. And I messed up at least one chip trying to put things right.

But I did have the spare motherboard so all is good again (once I got it working). And I also bought a C-128 at the Goodwill Computerworks but it has no power supply. But, at least I have another backup machine.

Edited by R.A.Rusk