IGNORED

please help me order the handful of parts I need.

Reaperman

Okay. Here's the deal, I'm pretty stupid.

I've got a fair hand with a soldering iron, and the most basic of electronics parts knowledge--the likes of the average 4th grader with a circuit-builder playset. I've even bodged my way (at least halfway) through a variety of small projects. My new project seems pretty damn doable, except for one snag--I have to order parts.

and all these parts have so very many little ratings and tolerances that I just need help buying the most basic 'school science project level' bits in reasonably small quantities, and digikey has me so confused.

what I'm doing is a genesis 3 svideo/composite/rgb mod (link). Don't need many parts.

5 75 ohm resistors

5 220uf capacitors

1 female svid connection

6 female rca connections (various colors would be nice since I plan on doing stereo (or dual mono), composite video and rgb)

a compact little board thingy with holes in it to hold the parts

that should be it

Please give me a hand. This is probably the single stupidest thread ever posted here, but I need a very low quantity of some very common bits, and digikey is showing me a billion varieties of the same (to me) thing. I'd like a simple part list or a link to a more idiot-proof source of material if possible. I really don't care what it costs (within reason), and no my radioshacks don't have bits bins anymore...

Edited by Reaperman

Not being in the US I can not suggest s different supplier apart from Newark, however as far as components goes...

Resistors - go for carbon film, these will usually have a tollerance of %5, if you want a tighter tollerance then go for Metal Film (1%), as for power 0.25 Watt or higher should be fine.

Capacitors - at 220uF you will be looking at electrolytic, genreally they will have a tollerance of at least 20%, any one should do, go a general purpous one. At 220uF the minimum available voltage will probaly be 16V which should be fine, your only other concideration is to use Axial (lead out of each end) or Radial (both leads out of the same end) which can take up less space.

Svid Connector - these are 4 pin mini DIN, I can't see how you can go wrong with that. It may be listed under multipole connectors but try AV connectors, your only real decisions here are Panel or PCB mounting and standard (Tin) or Gold contacts depending on how much you want to spend, gold contacts have less resistance but Tin should be fine.

female rca (phono) connectors - these generally come in only three colours, Red (Right Audio), White (Left Audio) and Yellow (Composite Video), if you can't find them in R, G and B I guess you could always paint them. They can be purchased seperately, with the audio channels paired together and are often available mounted on a small panel comprising of one or two rows of all three which can then be mounted in a case or as a PCB mounting block. Sometimes blocks will have all three phono connectors plus the S-video connector. As with S0Video connector you will have standard and gold plated options.

little board thingy with holes in it to hold the parts - A bit of stripboard/veroboard should do the job for the resistors and capacitors, however mounting the connectors on it could be a bit of a problem.

Use screened cable such as mini coax or microphone wire to make you connections to the connectors, alteratively if that is too expencive just twist two wires together (one for signal and one for 0V/Ground)

Is that what you wanted?

bg micro was nice but didn't seem to have my svid. but with google, and the additional info about what I needed (voltage on caps, resistor material, other name for s-vid jack) from stephen moss up there, I found action electronics. they have a picture menu just for idiots like me and even had gold rca connectors in blue and green--yay. At the very end, they offered me extremely low cost ($4.25) shipping since my order was so light. I thought I'd have to pay full priority.

switches (for region mod I didn't mention) struck me as a bit pricey, but I'm still alive. Thanks for all the help.

Edited by Reaperman

I just called Action Electronics, and the guy was really nice. I was looking for an odd power supply that has these voltages: 5v, 12v, 14v, and 26v along with ground and negatives of 12v. He told me that it was bizarre, and I agree. Frekkin lite-on dvd recorder is what it is for. Have to jump through hoops to make that thing work again.

Keeping them as a resource for future reference for sure, though.

Nathan