IGNORED

Install to HD... what's the freakin' point?

MegaManFan

Locking-up is an issue a lot of 360 games have.

I would call that overstated. I have had a 360 since day one and I have a large collection of games.

I believe you misquoted me there. I did not say such a thing. :)

..Al

That was quite strange. I think I might have accidentally hit the quote button on your post and then hit the reply on the one I intended to reply to... or something. Fixed.

Oh I definitely don't think it's huge at all.. far from it. The Dreamcast and Xbox 1 scene were much more accessible.

I was just saying in response to Hyper_Eye that those who do it, aren't really looking for anything more than pure piracy.. of course.

Well that is kind of a generalization. The XBox is quite popular as a modded system because of the functionality the system provides. XBMC and emulators are just a small portion of what people mod the XBox for (though probably the most popular.) It can do so many things including run Linux (and there was even an Asterisk running XBox at Digium when I worked there), homebrew games, and much more. While most people that mod the 360 are not concerned about doing those things I wouldn't consider them much a part of the "modding community". The modding community has a much bigger goal than pirating software. Ultimately the goal is that of full access and it has nothing to do with pirating.

Edited by Hyper_Eye

PS2 with hdd was able to play copied games, but the ps2 slim didn't have a hdd port anymore so that eliminated that problem.

There are a dozen or so sites with 360 mod chips here in the netherlands. And a lot of people that i know with a xbox360 have modded them. There even empty hdd cases so you can install a bigger hdd for less money.

hdd case

For every games system there will be people who are wanting to hack it. It doesn't matter how much they companies try piracy will stay. (look at the seas piracy even is getting back there.)

The companies can only try to slow down the piracy. Maybe in the future they may find something to prevent it but that will take a while.

The best they can do is bringing down the prices of games so more people will be able to buy them.

I have not had a chance to try this but after you load the game from the hard drive by inserting the disc can you take the disc out and load the game on another machine?

This way you could have multiple instances of the game running on local machines for LAN matches with only one disc....

Possible?

-Tim

I have not had a chance to try this but after you load the game from the hard drive by inserting the disc can you take the disc out and load the game on another machine?

This way you could have multiple instances of the game running on local machines for LAN matches with only one disc....

Possible?

-Tim

Doesn't seem like it would be possible. You would need the original disk in the system to initially start the game I'd think.

It's no different from computers (unless you make a ghost drive with the disc on it, you still have to have the disc there too) It's supposed to only varify you have the game thiough, and not actually load from the disc, which is understandable, otherwise, piracy would go way out of controll instantly.

• 2 months later...
Yesterday i used this option to install BIA: Hell's Highway. What a difference this makes. A lot of noise has gone, i never new that the 360 dvd drive made this much noise, always thought it was the system fan making noise. I'm happy with this option.

Yep.. it's all dvd drive.

Thats why some modders like to take it down from 12x to 8x and it really makes all the difference in the world noise-wise.

HDD install makes a huge difference on Tiger Woods. The load times aren't much faster but the DVD spins so much during this game, didn't even realize it till I installed and played a game, so quite now. I have all my games installed on my drive to save on DVD spinning.

I read on other forums that the extra use on the DVD could speed up the RROD especially if you play for long periods. Don't know if it is true but I have a new 'better' system where the RROD is less(?) of a problem so they say but I figure it can't hurt.

• 2 weeks later...
I read on other forums that the extra use on the DVD could speed up the RROD especially if you play for long periods. Don't know if it is true

There is some truth to this.

The DVD drive generates heat, and the DVD drive sits right above the graphics chips and it's heatsink.

I can see it compounding the existing thermal issues.