IGNORED

Enjoying Populous DS

eric_ruck

I was worried, as this was one of my favorite PC games in what, the early 90's? I thought the Genesis version was pretty unplayable on account of the low res graphics and lack of a mouse. So I was a little worried...

...For nothing. I'm really enjoying the DS version. The trailer doesn't look great and the instructions make the game sound more complicated than it really is. But I'm liking playing on a touch screen, as well as the many gameplay additions over the original that I thought I would hate.

Anyone else playing this?

Eric

I've been playing it to death lately. It's very good, although, I hardly ever look at the top screen. I think they could have put the fancy graphics on the bottom and used the top screen for a more detailed world map. Ah well...

Have you gotten to the disaster eggs yet? I'm stuck on level 20 where you can't do anything but create a hero and the eggs keep coming. :(

On Level 24...

As the game starts, you have several people to the south, but the enemy has one hero coming down from the north. It's one of the heroes that can convert people and I'm guessing he's extremely difficult to kill because he has no other people.

Anyway, I'm flattening the land as usual trying to build up my people and the hero is right about to reach my northern border. So I lower the land where he's standing and out pops a disaster egg! It hatches immediately and the dino that appears drops a bunch of conversion pools all over the place. Well, I guess the hero stepped in it because I instantly won! That took about 2 minutes!! :grin:

I'm somewhere around 27-ish right now. I don't remember exactly. It's where you start competing against two other tribes instead of just one. The difficulty is ramping up very quickly and I'm getting quite a bit frustrated.

Yeah the disaster eggs are something of a game changer. I like them but it sort of takes the harder levels back to luck. Especially since they start putting you in the worst places after awhile. Like starting you in the mountains while the two other tribes start at sea level. I'm thinking you need a well placed egg to succeed.

Eric

I saw this mentioned somewhere and was like "COOL!!!" Then was like "wait, I loved populous on the PC and SNES, but hated the newer one on the PSX. I was wondering what this was more like, I love the old 2D original godgame. The snes had levels with all the old game systems as buildings in some levels, and candy land levels.

• 4 weeks later...