IGNORED

Atari v Commodore

stevelanc

I think the C64 Avengers is a better implementation of the arcade space invaders than the A8 one.

If it wasnt for artifacting the A8 might have had a better implementation :(

Well, for older machines using those 320*200 modes also slows down the game play although sprites/GPRIOR could help. Most games can get away with 160*200 mode.

What graphics mode/color depth is arcade version using?

I think it's 256 x 224 - but vertical , so the pixel width is 224 - in monochrome only.

I think the C64 Avengers is a better implementation of the arcade space invaders than the A8 one.

If it wasnt for artifacting the A8 might have had a better implementation :(

Well, for older machines using those 320*200 modes also slows down the game play although sprites/GPRIOR could help. Most games can get away with 160*200 mode.

What graphics mode/color depth is arcade version using?

I think it's 256 x 224 - but vertical , so the pixel width is 224 - in monochrome only.

How many columns of invaders are in the arcade version?

Looks like someone here did some study on various Space Invaders but did not give picture of arcade version:

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Space_Invaders/Versions

45 - STAR RAIDERS 2

post-6191-1231738346_thumb.png post-6191-1231738352_thumb.png post-6191-1231738358_thumb.png

Atari screenshots

Awesome action motion and colors on Atari version, great sound; so far the best version. The C64 version was based on char technique, it has bad playability. This only game beat all the 2D scrolling shooters for his quality.

post-6191-1231738394_thumb.png post-6191-1231738388_thumb.png

C64 screenshots

45 - STAR RAIDERS 2

post-6191-1231738346_thumb.png post-6191-1231738352_thumb.png post-6191-1231738358_thumb.png

Atari screenshots

Awesome action motion and colors on Atari version, great sound; so far the best version. The C64 version was based on char technique, it has bad playability. This only game beat all the 2D scrolling shooters for his quality.

post-6191-1231738394_thumb.png post-6191-1231738388_thumb.png

C64 screenshots

A lot of nice graphic elements. Star Raiders (I) has better playability.

"This game beat all the 2D scrolling shooters for his quality"? I guess you're speaking of C64 2D shooters. I don't think you can take down all the C64's 2D shooters with one polished but overall average action pseudo 3D game... The Atari version is better, but I certainly wouldn't call this the pinnacle of all 8-bit shooters.

For me the best version of space invaders was on the commodore, but it's probably going to get ruled out of this thread because it was the commodore 16/+4 and not the C64 :)

I also had an eaca colourgenie for a while which had a damn good version

Explain yourself why it's the best and we can see the rationality behind it if it's not just your emotional ties to the Commodore.

Atari uses only about 4K and runs on original Atari 400 from 1978. I suppose originality plays a role although playability would play a bigger role. Simple controls unlike modern games with 10+ buttons on a joystick.

What's a EACA ColourGenie? I know EACA is 60106 in decimal, but I doubt that has anything do with that.

I'm not sure to be honest about the EACA - I know it's got 16k, Z80 processor and probably one of the off-the-shelf VDP chips in it, but I don't have any more information about the machine.

As for why that version of space invaders I dunno... It's one of those games like breakout - everyone thinks they can write it (I've had a go) but that's not the case. Sometimes it feels wrong, sometimes it's a bit clunky but then someone gets it right and it just plays really well. And for me the EACA and C16 versions I had fell into that latter category.

It's nothing to do with tech specs - both the Atari and Commodore could both do the game so long as someone nailed the play mechanics.

The EACA was based on the 6845 if I remember right. It was a color clone of the TRS-80 Model 1.

I have one but I need to repair it before I can fire it up.

I've seen a lot of good Space Invaders games but I've never found one that duplicated the arcade game.

One feature that always seemed to be missing was the fire bonus. This was achieved by shooting an alien from one of the bottom two rows last.

The screen filled with asterisks in a triangle shape going upwards from the last alien shot with the word "Fire!" in the center. Or something like that.

The Apple II had a pretty decent version but the sound was horrid. The CoCo had Space Raiders which was pretty close to the arcade as far as graphics and game play.

"This game beat all the 2D scrolling shooters for his quality"? I guess you're speaking of C64 2D shooters. I don't think you can take down all the C64's 2D shooters with one polished but overall average action pseudo 3D game... The Atari version is better, but I certainly wouldn't call this the pinnacle of all 8-bit shooters.

What we should call "the pinnacle of 8-bit shooters" then?

Huh, I had no idea Atari published Star Raiders II on the C64.

You know what would make these comparisons more interesting--actual video capture (with audio, of course) of the respective games. :)

..Al

It was Activision's sister label Electric Dreams that Published/converted the non Atari versions of Star Raiders II

46 - STEALTH

post-6191-1231799867_thumb.png post-6191-1231799875_thumb.png

post-6191-1231799882_thumb.png post-6191-1231799889_thumb.png

Atari screenshots

Another 3D shooter game. First version on Atari called LANDSCAPE and was published by BR0DERBOUND under the name STEALTH. Atari version have better display because the amount of colors.

post-6191-1231799919_thumb.png post-6191-1231799924_thumb.png

C64 screenshot

Edited by Allas

What we should call "the pinnacle of 8-bit shooters" then?

Good question. Maybe the beginnings of a new VS thread. I seriously doubt there is any one game that you could say that about. That's why I'm criticizing your statement about "beating all 2D scrolling shooters...". Besides, 2D scrolling shooters are different games altogether.

Good question. Maybe the beginnings of a new VS thread. I seriously doubt there is any one game that you could say that about. That's why I'm criticizing your statement about "beating all 2D scrolling shooters...". Besides, 2D scrolling shooters are different games altogether.

And the Atari had enough powers to combine both parts in a fair amount!

Thinking about a game like Crownland and the solution for Space Harrier together...

Something between

http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/unreal-/screenshots

and this

http://www.mobygames.com/game/atari-8-bit/...mps/screenshots

I envied the American A8 owners, as a lot of the early conversions ( Drol, AE , etc ) looked really terrible in PAL. At least some of the other Apple conversions were moved to multicolour mode though..

Aren't you in America? I think to get more consistent colors in 320*200 mode, Atari has to use the sprite underlays/overlays with priority settings as needed. A good mix of priority changes through-out the frame with sprite replication in 4X mode. Using narrow mode could speed things up in hi-res mode as well since that PCS game is really slow-- the cursor flickers when you move it. I don't think they exploited the GPRIOR/Sprites.

Regarding GReat American Road Race, i personnaly prefer the c64 version therefore the A800 is very good too.

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=D9glkbOm5mw&...feature=related

I'd prefer the Atari version everytime. The C64 may look more brighter, but the ambient of the Atari version is unique...

Green fields, fog, snowy streets.... and the sounds fit perfectly. Not to forget the usage of the palette... look at the night driving level, where you seem to look really into the dark...

I envied the American A8 owners, as a lot of the early conversions ( Drol, AE , etc ) looked really terrible in PAL. At least some of the other Apple conversions were moved to multicolour mode though..

Aren't you in America? I think to get more consistent colors in 320*200 mode, Atari has to use the sprite underlays/overlays with priority settings as needed. A good mix of priority changes through-out the frame with sprite replication in 4X mode. Using narrow mode could speed things up in hi-res mode as well since that PCS game is really slow-- the cursor flickers when you move it. I don't think they exploited the GPRIOR/Sprites.

No, not in america at the moment :(

Even at the start - having 5 colours in the 160 mode compared well with the 6 colours on the AppleII ( 4 colour high res plus normal players were pretty comparable )

A lot of the early games are straight ports - so everything is either and/or masked, or eor drawn.

Seems, the video is deleted, but one C64 freak made a review of the Atari Rescue on Fractalus. He just mentioned the A8 Version almost as good as the C64 version.... seems he deleted it for not being ashamed anymore ;)

Edited by emkay