IGNORED

Atari v Commodore

stevelanc

Fact is I like my A8 - and nothing anyone says or demonstrates will change that, however loud they shout or however many statistics they shove under my nose. My affection for my first computer is not something I am able to surrender to logic, or facts - it just is!

nobody wants to change your or anyone's atari affection. I havent seen such a post here. did you? its about the performance of the 2 machines.

Still here I see... :roll:

i've recently started looking at the BBC Micro as well to see if i can do something fun with that...

Masochist!

Atari and Commodore owners really are in an elite club of 8-bits with completely proprietary VLSI's.

S'probably what starts all the fights. =-)

If I had to hit an intruder over the head in the middle of the night, I'd rather be holding an 800!

-Bry

the Atari 8-bit computer is still the most stylish.

which one? each one of them ? :rolling:

Yes, you got a problem with that?

apparently you got a problem :)

I don't have a problem with the Atari 8-bit computer being the most stylish.

See, she can see style! I think most people can when comparing. in contrast how about the Vic20.. Ughhh you would think tramaiel would have learn and not used the same on the C64 ;)

See, she can see style! I think most people can when comparing. in contrast how about the Vic20.. Ughhh you would think tramaiel would have learn and not used the same on the C64 ;)

That was the cheapest way to production. Jack isn't known for throwing money around.

Oh, and you're wrong about the most watched UK soap by the way...

Yeah, I thought YOU might like it.

And that's another thing you've got wrong. Is this something you do deliberately or is it a natural "talent"?

That was the cheapest way to production. Jack isn't known for throwing money around.

Don't forget that the VIC shifted significant numbers (i believe it was the first machine to move a million units) so if you're deciding what a machine should look like that's one hell of a reason to recycle a design.

i've recently started looking at the BBC Micro as well to see if i can do something fun with that...

Masochist!

Oh, that's a given otherwise i'd never have hung around here as long as i have...

The Beeb is a bit like a prototype for the Amstrad CPC, but some of the display modes are more conservative for memory use; the 8 colour mode has totally arbitary placement of colours but needs about 20K for a screen but there is a four colour mode which is a lot lighter on the RAM.

If I had to hit an intruder over the head in the middle of the night, I'd rather be holding an 800!

i'd want a 1541. =-)

i'd want a 1541. =-)

A 1450XLD has them all beat but that is too rare a bird to be clouting people over the head with! My preferred tool for such mayhem is an IBM Model M keyboard. Once the clouting is done, just put the keycaps back on and you're good to go. Come to think of it, I never saw a keyboard that nice on any eight bit.

Don't forget that the VIC shifted significant numbers (i believe it was the first machine to move a million units) so if you're deciding what a machine should look like that's one hell of a reason to recycle a design.

And there you are, back to my point, you prefer quantity over quality (Don't thank me, it's just my 'talent', which comes naturally, of course).

Edited by Alison DeMeyer

Masochist!

Oh, that's a given otherwise i'd never have hung around here as long as i have...

The Beeb is a bit like a prototype for the Amstrad CPC, but some of the display modes are more conservative for memory use; the 8 colour mode has totally arbitary placement of colours but needs about 20K for a screen but there is a four colour mode which is a lot lighter on the RAM.

Actually if you're a masochist you'd be programming on the Acorn Electron rather than the BBC model B...

I did enjoy programming the CPC - the colours were almost as nice as the Atari - but it sucked having rubbish scrolling and no sprites

Catching up with what has been added here today after working, there are some interesting parts of the discussion and other parts that lose me the will to live. I'm hoping (praying) that this recurring topic has had the life bashed out of it now.

Jet Boot, that was very well put. It's my sentiments exactly. I owned a number of computers prior to the Atari but I gelled instantly with it and the facination and connection with it hasn't gone away. I must say that I appriciate all the 8 bit machines for what they are and the era was a special time. Nothing replaces my A8.

Coronation Street is the most popular and most watched soap in the UK, that does NOT make it any good.
lol well that cheers it all up. I never thought I'd see that mentioned here :) Something i've been on several times. I can def say NOT to any goodness :P Edited by Tezz

Sad but true, look at the XE's though the style wasn't bad, just the keyboard.

Not in this country, it was a flop

Can't we all just agree to pick on the Apple II? (or maybe the Spectrum for you cross-the-ponders).

Atari and Commodore owners really are in an elite club of 8-bits with completely proprietary VLSI's.

Sure, Apples do suck, but the IIe has expansion bus. Sadly that is the same arguement from the period for the IBM etc. Apple does have 2k screen ram which really sucks.

And there you are, back to my point, you prefer quantity over quality (Don't thank me, it's just my 'talent', which comes naturally, of course).

Good one! :D

And there you are, back to my point, you prefer quantity over quality

If you ran a company that had shifted a lot of units based on a certain design (and more units than your competition despite having less time in the market) you'd have to be a complete idiot if you didn't at least consider continuing that design to new products; Commodore recycled the same shell over several machines (some of the 264 series use the same design) so they had some confidence in it, but the same doesn't seem to be true of Atari since they felt the need to redesign their range not once but twice.

(Don't thank me, it's just my 'talent', which comes naturally, of course).

Well, the "talent" i was referring to was that you seem to make a lot of rather ridiculous and baseless assumptions about other people and yes, you've just done it again (read back, i've never said that i personally like or dislike either machine's physical appearance - my only argument is that it was irrelevant to this thread and subjective opinion either way) so obviously it does come naturally... bit of a shame really, if it needed concentration you could at least stop once in a while.

Not in this country, it was a flop

Ah, there you go confusing one country with the world again... and considering Jack Tramiel, the idea of him releasing a machine and having it flop, then setting his designers on working on another one just doesn't hold water, it must have shifted enough units for a businessman like Tramiel to even consider that.

Actually if you're a masochist you'd be programming on the Acorn Electron rather than the BBC model B...

Well, i haven't decided regarding the Electron yet... i mean, i like to suffer as much as the next person (i'm still reading what atarian and Alison there have to say and i can't think of a better reason for doing that right now) but still... the Beeb is quite a fight to start with!

I did enjoy programming the CPC - the colours were almost as nice as the Atari - but it sucked having rubbish scrolling and no sprites

The way the Z80 works does lend itself quite well to compiled software sprites though... i just wish more developers had used the hardware-based scrolling techniques rather than doing it in software because that screen RAM is scarily large. Ever had a look at the CPC Plus hardware, that's pretty brutal stuff...

"was a flop in my country"... heard it a million times already. There must be some obscure unknown country where all those VIC20's and C64's shipped to, otherwise I fail to explain why it was by far the most sold computers of the time since for all countries there is some guy who claims that it "flopped".

you could at least stop once in a while.

superstars never stop.....

Vic 20 wasn't a big seller in UK either, even ZX81 sold better and more (increased Sinclairs income eightfold, Retro Gamer issue 45), TMR is a fan of the ZX81, quantity over quality again.

Edited by Alison DeMeyer

"was a flop in my country"... heard it a million times already. There must be some obscure unknown country where all those VIC20's and C64's shipped to, otherwise I fail to explain why it was by far the most sold computers of the time since for all countries there is some guy who claims that it "flopped".

That's explained easy, just look at the NES, 'flopped in Europe' according to Nintendo (Explained in the Game Over book), but a massive seller in Japan and USA (approx 62 million sold).

Edited by Alison DeMeyer