IGNORED

Are label copyright variations relevant?

MegaManFan

Today I picked up a copy of Phoenix for the hell of it (I sometimes get duplicates with the idea to eventually put them on a trade list page) but when I got home I noticed that the one I just picked up said ©1982 while the one I already had said ©1987 on the label. Of course I checked here to see if it was listed as a label variation and it wasn't, so I was wondering if these are even relevant or if they're so common that copyright variations aren't listed at all. Incidentally if it matters both games say ©1982 when they're actually plugged in and running.

when I got home I noticed that the one I just picked up said ©1982 while the one I already had said ©1987 on the label.  Of course I checked here to see if it was listed as a label variation and it wasn't, so I was wondering if these are even relevant

They are if you think so. It’s your hobby, after all!

Ultimately, I'm not going to worry about copyright variations too much. If I stumble on a few by accident like today I'll be happy about it, otherwise I'm much more interested in clearly visible label variations (such as Activision games which went from color artwork to blue label, and I have two of these so far).

Just to add to your misery--not only are the copyright dates different, but the box art and styles are slightly different too!I did not realize this until I set up another bookcase outside of my closet(yes, I'm running out of room!),and could actually look at the silver label boxes....As for your question--as a collector the variants do matter,for the rest of us that just want a copy of the game to play, it don't matter much.