IGNORED

Another Reason I don't shop at GameStop

Mendon

Strange policies you have over there. If i buy a secondhand game i always ask if i can see the disk and never am i refused to do so. If you buy a secondhand car you also testdrive it before you buy it. So why do you have to pay extra for disc protection? What kind of business are you guy have over there?

• 2 weeks later...

The only reason to ever pre-order from any of these places is if the pre-order bonus is so cool there's no way you WOULDN'T pick the game up. Otherwise it's just not worth the lines, the hassles, the pushy salespeople who want you to trade in your shit (I don't buy games to resell douchebags, I buy them to KEEP... unless I'm so broke I'd sell them MYSELF on eBay and get more than the $1.20 you offer) or tell you that you should get a used game for $45 because "You save $5 on the new" (frankly I'll pay $5 more to ensure no other mortal has ever touched it). At least at a big chain electronics store like Best Buy you can walk right in and right out within 3 minutes and swiping your credit card will be the longest part of your transaction. No hassles, no trade-ins, no BS.

EDIT: Well, I will go to Gamers, because they at least let me look at used GameCube games before I buy them, and nobody else sells GameCube shit any more new OR used, so they still get my business now and then.

Edited by MegaManFan

• 2 weeks later...

Here is another reason to hate them....

http://www.destructoid.com/gamestop-to-sto...e--116675.phtml

As of Feburary 9th, they are going to stop accepting trade-ins of original xbox games/hardware.

Ya know, I can understand and accept that gaming stores don't want to support every system going back to the beginning of time. But the Xbox is only last generation, same as GC and PS2, which they will still accept.

Whats really funny is if you want to compare so called dead systems, GC is deader then Xbox is. Last game made for the GC was over a year ago back in 2007, last game for the Xbox was just 4 and a half months ago!. :ponder: :roll:

It just further makes me wonder what the purpose of stores like GameStop is. If I want to buy current gen stuff I can go to any store. GameStop is a specialty game store, and yet they really don't have anything special. For instance I went there a couple of weeks ago to buy the Korg DS-10 Synthesizer for DS, but they don't carry it. They were not out of it, they just never carried it in the first place. Well then what are they for? Thats the kind of specialty title that you may not find in a big box store, so you would think that you would need to go to a game shop to find it. But nope. All they have is 5,000 copies of Madden 07 for the 360 and a bunch of shitty 3rd party Mad Catz controllers.

It's just amazing how in the span of a few years they went from carrying stuff all the way back to the NES era to not even carrying last gen games. The only way this place makes money is by preying on people who are desperate to sell their games to buy new ones. They are nothing but a glorified pawn shop at this point. I understand that the profit margin for new games is very low, but I don't believe that it gives them the right to rip people off the way that they do, but it is the people's fault for allowing themselves to be ripped off. Why would you trade a game in to GS when you can sell it locally on Craigslist for free? If you are just going to buy a game, beat it, and return it, then just get GameFly or something. Buying a game for $59 and then trading it in to GS for next to nothing just makes no sense, but then a lot of people just don't seem to have a lot going on upstairs.

In that article you linked to, I saw that they are currently giving about $12 in trade in value (~$9 cash) for an XBox system. Meanwhile they sell them for $50. I cringe thinking what the trade in value of a Gamecube must be since it sells for $29.99.

Chris

Perhaps this is an opportunity to make a new video game store chain, and then we can hate them as well. Nobody liked FuncoLand, nobody liked GS, and I hate that one place that tried to sell a used Flashback II for $50. face it, working in the video game bazarr is an uphill battle.

If I ran a video game shop, I would have an official policy on EA sports titles. I will

1) carefully examine it

2) hold it up to the customer to cue them to look at the DVD case

3) push really hard & fast into their face :)

I would actually have a big neon sign "NO EA SPORTS TITLES!". What happened to that website of that used video game store owner who was sassy & not afraid to tell the customers straight up? He should run a franchise.

I bought a "new" copy of Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of Illuminus for the PS2 the other day since it was much cheaper than I could find on ebay. Since it was the last copy in the store (and the only one within 80 miles of me) they had to go get the disc from the back (I always hate getting copies like that, but I didn't have much of a choice). All is well and good until they go and slap a huge (and I mean covers 1/4th of the case huge) white sticker over the case. I asked them what they were doing and they told me it was so I couldn't return it as new (or something along those lines). I was a bit annoyed but I let it pass until I got home and discovered that that sticker would NOT come off without some serious sticker remover even though it was just put on (it was almost like a security sticker). After trying to get the damn residue off for an hour I just gave up and used another case I had. It's bad enough they slap 20 different price stickers on these games, do they have to put a huge sticker on it now too? God I hate that place...

Tempest

Perhaps this is an opportunity to make a new video game store chain, and then we can hate them as well. Nobody liked FuncoLand, nobody liked GS, and I hate that one place that tried to sell a used Flashback II for $50. face it, working in the video game bazarr is an uphill battle.

One chain I didn't hate was Rhino. Had two of them near me and both provided a very enjoyable shopping experience: employees with knowledge and who knew the meaning of "Customer Service", no hard sell on pre-orders, no system bias, much better trade in value than GS (though still not as good as selling on eBay, etc), excellent inventory of old games - systems - accessories, employees always took time to chit-chat and make small talk about gaming with customers, and much more.

That was my experience.. others may differ. I hated it when GS bought up Rhino.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

As of Feburary 9th, they are going to stop accepting trade-ins of original xbox games/hardware.

Ya know, I can understand and accept that gaming stores don't want to support every system going back to the beginning of time. But the Xbox is only last generation, same as GC and PS2, which they will still accept.

Whats really funny is if you want to compare so called dead systems, GC is deader then Xbox is. Last game made for the GC was over a year ago back in 2007, last game for the Xbox was just 4 and a half months ago!. :ponder: :roll:

I heard the reason for keeping Gamecube games is because they are 100% compatible with the Wii. And if you look at the Gamecube selection GS has, you'll notice, they have higher average prices than Xbox games. I suspect that GS has received tons of Xbox games as trade ins for Xbox 360 titles and can't get rid of them. GS had a few B2G1 free sales only for Xbox games last year.

I bought a "new" copy of Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of Illuminus for the PS2 the other day since it was much cheaper than I could find on ebay. Since it was the last copy in the store (and the only one within 80 miles of me) they had to go get the disc from the back (I always hate getting copies like that, but I didn't have much of a choice). All is well and good until they go and slap a huge (and I mean covers 1/4th of the case huge) white sticker over the case. I asked them what they were doing and they told me it was so I couldn't return it as new (or something along those lines). I was a bit annoyed but I let it pass until I got home and discovered that that sticker would NOT come off without some serious sticker remover even though it was just put on (it was almost like a security sticker). After trying to get the damn residue off for an hour I just gave up and used another case I had. It's bad enough they slap 20 different price stickers on these games, do they have to put a huge sticker on it now too? God I hate that place...

Tempest

I'd have told them I didn't want the sticker and they could mark up my receipt if they needed to keep me from bringing the game back. If they still put that sticker on there, I'd have grabbed up my cash or card and walked away. They've no right to deface something you are paying for like that.

I have been told at my local store they are not taking them dues to having a big supply and not nearly enough sales. GC continues to sell well enough as well as PS2 so that is probably why. Makes sense. Not sure why the market is that way, maybe the Xbox people bought 360s and just abandon the old xbox. I know I don't use mine, but I have a Wii.

Buying a game for $59 and then trading it in to GS for next to nothing just makes no sense, but then a lot of people just don't seem to have a lot going on upstairs.

A lot of my relatives would insist that any business that thrives in spite of such clearly idiotic business practices is probably a front for the mafia. :P There is a certain logic to that, but never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

What happened to that website of that used video game store owner who was sassy & not afraid to tell the customers straight up? He should run a franchise.

Acts of Gord

I have been told at my local store they are not taking them dues to having a big supply and not nearly enough sales. GC continues to sell well enough as well as PS2 so that is probably why. Makes sense. Not sure why the market is that way, maybe the Xbox people bought 360s and just abandon the old xbox.

The only thing I could suggest is that the GC's userbase was probably mostly long-time Nintendo fans, who already have generations of hardware invested with Nintendo. They're not opposed to continuing to buy into the system after it's dead. Also, the interest in the Wii, combined with its difficulty to find, probably makes many low income parents buy a GameCube as a substitute.

With the Xbox, it's a different story. The Xbox was the new kid on the block when it was released. MS had no track record in the industry and focused on bringing in new gamers. The people that got into gaming because of the Xbox took a more consumerist approach to the system, dumping it when the 360 was released.

I have been told at my local store they are not taking them dues to having a big supply and not nearly enough sales.

With the Xbox, it's a different story. The Xbox was the new kid on the block when it was released. MS had no track record in the industry and focused on bringing in new gamers. The people that got into gaming because of the Xbox took a more consumerist approach to the system, dumping it when the 360 was released.

I dunno if this is really true or not.

First, while I don't doubt that GS has a lot of stock and not enough sales, I think we need to investigate that a little more closely. Last time I was in a GS, I wasn't impressed with the selection. Mostly sports games, mostly Madden. :ponder:

Second, Xbox is still popular. A lot of people never dumped it when the 360 was released, there are still people wanting to buy them now, and others who only got them recently. Just look at this: http://www.nielsen.com/media/toptens_games.html - As of October 2008, the original Xbox was still more popular then the GC and PS3. Heck, it was only barely behind the Wii. :!:

That makes me really question GameStop's claim. Xbox is twice as popular as the GameCube, yet it doesn't have enough sales but the Gamecube does? Sorry, that don't add up, and I think reflects what I said in my first point. Their sales issues probably has more to do their selection then lack of interest.

I have been told at my local store they are not taking them dues to having a big supply and not nearly enough sales.

I dunno if this is really true or not.

First, while I don't doubt that GS has a lot of stock and not enough sales, I think we need to investigate that a little more closely. Last time I was in a GS, I wasn't impressed with the selection. Mostly sports games, mostly Madden. :ponder:

...snip...

Their sales issues probably has more to do their selection then lack of interest.

I should mention, as I meant to in my last post but forgot, that the point I was making was wild speculation. It was a guess based on a lack of any better facts. Yes, GS' selection should take a good chunk of the blame, as should their pricing and trade-in offers.

That is horrid. I had problems with the "free gear" they promise you when you preorder as well. I think almost everyone will agree that the free gun in CoD WaW was a joke.

Game trade is horrid there. I got 450 bucks in trade at a mom and pop place for my ps2 slim and games, while gamestop was offering only 25 for the system, 5 cents.. you heard me.. 5 cents for the stand that cost 20 new, and 5 bucks or less for games like Disguea.

I used to love the store for one main reason though.. and that was to buy used games. Like them or not, their selection is usually nicer than that of a small mom and pop place, and the condition of their games is usually higher...until now. I went in there yesterday, and much to my surprise, every game now had the bind price sticker ON THE DANG COVER ITSELF and not on the clear plastic part of the case.

That's right. That means that if you are a collector like I am, any game you get there is practically junk to you since getting those annoying yellow stickers is impossible to get off of a piece of paper. It's horrible. I complained to the manager in the store and he basically said "it's our policy. Too bad".. he honeslty coudln't have been any less concerned about the matter.

So what did I do? I bought a new copy of Motosport PR to avoid this. Instead when I got the game, instead of being brand new, it had a sticker on there which wouldnt have been an issue if it wasnt for the fact the clerk ripped off the sticker quickly, leaving the white paper residue on there. He tried to get then pick it off with his finger nail, leaving a big dip in the case where the clip hole is.

So what did I do? I bought a new copy of Motosport PR to avoid this. Instead when I got the game, instead of being brand new, it had a sticker on there which wouldnt have been an issue if it wasnt for the fact the clerk ripped off the sticker quickly, leaving the white paper residue on there. He tried to get then pick it off with his finger nail, leaving a big dip in the case where the clip hole is.

I'm not quite following you. What exactly happened here?

Chris

I'm not quite following you. What exactly happened here?

Chris

If you press on the front over, there's two holes in the case on the top right and bottom right where the clips are that clip the manual against the inside of the case. Since there's no plastic there in those spots, if you press hard here you can warp and often rip the paper cover and the plastic that holds in the cover of the case. By him scratching off the sticker residue with his nail, he left a HUGE dip where that spot is. The game looks like trash and looks used because of it. When I confronted them about it, he scoffed saying that it was new, I already paid for it, and that since I didn't ask them (he never asked) to have the clear sticker on it saying it was still new (even though i was in the store and hadn't opened it.. i was right in front of him), he wouldn't let me return it for a different copy. Next time let them prep the game before you swipe your card. I will NEVER go back there period. Was a horrible experience.

Yea, I hate that store, too. They give you shit when you sell something, there used prices on majority of titles cost almost the same as new and the sticker issue of placing them on the container which is a pain in the ass to get off clean. Plus the many other things the previous posts said.

Game stores are interesting. We now have a total of three game stores. Game crazy via the hollywood video. That was first. Then game the Gamestop in a new plaza they built. Finally the new Play N Trade. I don't goto them much myself. The last time I was in one was with my GF and we was looking at WII. I don't know how they are doing but the last time I talked to them at Gamestop the Play N Trade across the street was getting there customers. Don't know if that was since they was new or what. But the Play N Trade has NES clones. They also had some atari games but admited they was just mostly for show but also for sale. I did pickup a dreamcast keyboard for about what they go for on ebay or less. I think it was 10.00.

As for local prvt games shops. Years ago there was one in the mall that closed up. It was mostly his collection and it was a great place to stop. Picked up atari, genesis, and misc items. Plus he would bargin too. The last time I felt that great about a game place was one in boise idaho. They also are now gone. Sigh. The one in boise left when the rent went up on the building. They had a choice of staying or getting out. So after like 15 years or something they got out.

But hey this is the life of businesses. Most of you guys covered good points. So I figured I would add my 2 cents into this topic.

Later,

Josh

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'm horribly opposed to a place like Gamestop. I know better than to buy a new game there, (heck, I'm not even there "target market" since I don't own anything current-gen). The only thing I really go in there for are the titles I'm looking for for the previous-gen. I can't complain too much about the prices since I picked up Timesplitters and Timesplitters 2 for the PS2 and Gamecube respectively for about $10.

Perhaps its cause I don't have the options as some of you others do living out in the middle of MN where there is no Play N Trade or Vintage Stock or other gaming places to my easy disposal. I go to Pawn Shops and there policies on things are not better. Garage sales over half the year isn't an option since its freezing (-27 wind chill currently) or the weather is crap. I've just come to realize its a business, and there's plenty of businesses that I don't exactly think are great but I'm not gonna straight up not shop there.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree it is a stupid rule, but I know that some game stores have problems with tons people ordering games and then changing their minds, then the store is stuck with more games than they know what to do with. That combined with how fast the price drops on games these days makes for loss of profit.

I quit shopping at Gamestop years ago when I realized how crappy their TIV's are, but Have recently started going back to pick up cheap used games. One local store actual has some awesome workers that really stand out compared to all other GS workers.

For the person that was upset that GS is getting out of Xbox compared to GC, I have to say that I loved my Xbox to death, but not many games had replay value, I have not touched many of My old Xbox games lately, but my old GC games still get alot of play in my Wii.

and for the guy that said that the guy from Acts of Gord should run a chain....I was talking to a guy that went to his store. He said that Gord was a huge douche, and that 90% of his stories are pure BS.

An interesting note about gamestop. I used to work for ebgames and worked for gamesuck for about six months after they acquired ebgames. They are a terrible company to work for and shop at they mark up their used games 300% and they only order enough of new releases for pre-orders which is why they probably want to charge you $5 for shipping. The thing about a game store at least when I worked at ebgames is that you could go in there and find really old and/or rare games new in the wrapper. Once gamestop took over that stopped now all they have new is new releases. I just buy my games from amazon you can get them on street date if you pre-order them and they don't limit their inventory to new releases.

ANYWAYS (takes deep breath) the whole reason I was writing this is to say that gamestop is in serious SERIOUS debt. I heard from someone I know who still works there (the only person who worked there when I did and is still there) that gamestop owes it stock holders like 22 million dollars and they have to have it paid back by 2011. I am not sure what will happen if they don't HOPEFULLY they will go out of business and pave the way for some mom and pop video game stores that carry rarities.

An interesting note about gamestop. I used to work for ebgames and worked for gamesuck for about six months after they acquired ebgames. They are a terrible company to work for and shop at they mark up their used games 300% and they only order enough of new releases for pre-orders which is why they probably want to charge you $5 for shipping. The thing about a game store at least when I worked at ebgames is that you could go in there and find really old and/or rare games new in the wrapper. Once gamestop took over that stopped now all they have new is new releases. I just buy my games from amazon you can get them on street date if you pre-order them and they don't limit their inventory to new releases.

ANYWAYS (takes deep breath) the whole reason I was writing this is to say that gamestop is in serious SERIOUS debt. I heard from someone I know who still works there (the only person who worked there when I did and is still there) that gamestop owes it stock holders like 22 million dollars and they have to have it paid back by 2011. I am not sure what will happen if they don't HOPEFULLY they will go out of business and pave the way for some mom and pop video game stores that carry rarities.

What I think is historical is that they don't sell these older games because they don't think there's a market for them (like the xbox games they aren't taking in trade anymore), yet the local mom and pop place that's literally between two gamestops (i know.. makes no sense) is always busy to the point where the line is almost past the door. Oh and, most of the games sold are from last generation or older... not the current stuff.

Just goes to show you, if they gave decent trade and priced their goods a bit better, they'd have just as much business. The only time I ever see gamestop as busy as I see that place on a daily basis is when a AAA title comes out and all the preorder people come.

However, I've learned that with no corporate watchdog, some mom and pop place can be even more cold hearted and corrupt. Luckily, most of those places around here usually go out of business within a year.

What I think is historical is that they don't sell these older games because they don't think there's a market for them (like the xbox games they aren't taking in trade anymore), yet the local mom and pop place that's literally between two gamestops (i know.. makes no sense) is always busy to the point where the line is almost past the door. Oh and, most of the games sold are from last generation or older... not the current stuff.

Just goes to show you, if they gave decent trade and priced their goods a bit better, they'd have just as much business. The only time I ever see gamestop as busy as I see that place on a daily basis is when a AAA title comes out and all the preorder people come.

However, I've learned that with no corporate watchdog, some mom and pop place can be even more cold hearted and corrupt. Luckily, most of those places around here usually go out of business within a year.

Man I wish there were some mom and pop places around here all we have is gamestop and the flea market. If there is a mom and pop place gamestop puts them out of business real quick. If my company ever becomes extremely profitable I might invest in a game store.