IGNORED

Redefinition of "New"

mumbai

Compare auction title, photo, and then the one response to a bidder's question ... if it weren't for that question, I would have thought something completely other about this listing (and scads of others). I'm not familiar with the seller, given platform preferences, but is this typical for him/her? Am I wrong to view this as an opportunity to call shenanigans?

Yes, I would say that if it's opened, then "NEW" is not an appropriate description. New implies new, as in, unopened, the way you would get it from a store brand new. Shrinkwrapped if it came that way originally, and if not, then still sealed. Though, I can see where a very loose definition could encompass what he has, but it's not accurate. A better description of what he has is complete-in-box. Not "new".

You guys new to eBay? When things are sealed, sellers almost always say so. If they don't specifically say sealed, unopened etc., I always assume new means "as new condition."

Even "sealed" can be a gotcha if they don't say "original factory shrink wrap"...

(Like those loose Atari carts that some clown has used his own shrink wrap machine on! :roll: )

You guys new to eBay? When things are sealed, sellers almost always say so. If they don't specifically say sealed, unopened etc., I always assume new means "as new condition."

I'm far from new to eBay. My point is that this seems like a rather carefully crafted means to mislead, moreso than usual. Based on the number of Atari 2600 listings, my guess is that this seller is probably a known quantity on AtariAge, so (as made clear above) I am also curious as to whether this is typical misdirection on his/her part.

And no, "new" does not mean "as new", skepticism or not.

Even "sealed" can be a gotcha if they don't say "original factory shrink wrap"...

(Like those loose Atari carts that some clown has used his own shrink wrap machine on! :roll: )

Yes, he should say sealed. If not, then it's not "new". It's 20-30 years old for crying out loud. "New" is not really a word to describe something like this at all unless it's a new homebrew or new repro. That's the point here. It sounds like either intentional misdirection or unintentional ignorance on his part. _He_ is the "new" one, not us.

And how does he know they have never been played?

This one always cracks me up anyway -- you see it a lot in CD and DVD listings.

Who cares how often something's been played?

I've got CDs I've played a gazillion times that don't have a single mark on them and others that came out of the shrinkwrap with scratches on'em. It's not like playing a game or watching a DVD wears'em down -- these aren't LPs, folks -- so just tell me what the condition is and leave it at that.

Just one more example of unnecessary language in auction ads.

My other fave is "out of print." Really? That obscure record from 1973 is "out of print"? Whoda thunk it? (Probably the same non-existent customers who use words like "rare" and "vintage" in search engines...)

Edited by Captain Beard

I'm far from new to eBay. My point is that this seems like a rather carefully crafted means to mislead, moreso than usual. Based on the number of Atari 2600 listings, my guess is that this seller is probably a known quantity on AtariAge, so (as made clear above) I am also curious as to whether this is typical misdirection on his/her part.

Rhetorical questions don't require answers.

To me, new does mean as new, when we're talking about stuff that is old. "New" by itself, I maintain, is almost as meaningless as "rare." "Brand new" "new in shrink" "new old stock" and such have a better chance of actually being new.

That's just my interpretation when reading ads, I am by no means condoning anyone being misleading.

Rhetorical questions don't require answers.

To me, new does mean as new, when we're talking about stuff that is old. "New" by itself, I maintain, is almost as meaningless as "rare." "Brand new" "new in shrink" "new old stock" and such have a better chance of actually being new.

That's just my interpretation when reading ads, I am by no means condoning anyone being misleading.

Fortunately, Ebay has a definition of "new". It has to be in the same condition it would be in at a retail store. Their definition specifically requires that the item have intact shrinkwrap if that's how it was originally sold in a store. So, if someone puts "new" in their listing, it has to be in that condition, otherwise they are making a misrepresentation and typically Ebay will side with the buyer in a dispute.

Do those ColecoVision boxes have any type of glue on the top flap, or were they originally shrinkwrapped?

Coleco Inc. titles packaged in that box format were sealed with glue along the top flap. They weren't factory shrinkwrapped, as the packaging includes a tear-away hanger tab for shop display, the presence of which itself isn't clear, either.

Fortunately, Ebay has a definition of "new". It has to be in the same condition it would be in at a retail store. Their definition specifically requires that the item have intact shrinkwrap if that's how it was originally sold in a store. So, if someone puts "new" in their listing, it has to be in that condition, otherwise they are making a misrepresentation and typically Ebay will side with the buyer in a dispute.

Link?

I can see this being true for dvds, mp3 players, etc. but rule or no rule, I'm not assuming someone who just says "new" on a 20-30 year old game is going by that. Things that old and still sealed, wrapped, and/or minty generally have lavish, overdone descriptions, not just "new."

Link?

I can see this being true for dvds, mp3 players, etc. but rule or no rule, I'm not assuming someone who just says "new" on a 20-30 year old game is going by that. Things that old and still sealed, wrapped, and/or minty generally have lavish, overdone descriptions, not just "new."

You can assume what you like, but if the word new is used to describe the item, it must be in the same condition as if it was being sold new in a retail shop, including shrink wrap. It doesn't matter at all how old the item is. Spend some time on the seller rules in the Help section of Ebay and everything will become clear.

You can assume what you like, but if the word new is used to describe the item, it must be in the same condition as if it was being sold new in a retail shop, including shrink wrap. It doesn't matter at all how old the item is. Spend some time on the seller rules in the Help section of Ebay and everything will become clear.

Oh, it "must" so I guess they all do. What a relief. :roll: :ponder:

Sure, maybe they'll side with you in a dispute, but isn't it smarter to assume the seller may be less than forthright when simply calling a 30 year old video game "new", and save yourself the hassle by asking questions first? That's all I'm sayin'...

And I don't need to spend any time on the seller rules help section, thanks, I'm doing just fine with my 100% feedback and 4.9's across the board.

Oh, it "must" so I guess they all do. What a relief. :roll: :ponder:

Sure, maybe they'll side with you in a dispute, but isn't it smarter to assume the seller may be less than forthright when simply calling a 30 year old video game "new", and save yourself the hassle by asking questions first? That's all I'm sayin'...

And I don't need to spend any time on the seller rules help section, thanks, I'm doing just fine with my 100% feedback and 4.9's across the board.

Of course. I always assume sellers are misrepresenting items to maximize bids. I will typically send questions to a seller regarding condition prior to bidding. Having said that, if an item is advertised as "new" and I get it and it's not, it goes back to the seller at their cost, whether I asked questions about it or not.