IGNORED

Tempest clone - typhoon 2001 - any new developments?

Keatah

It sure is! I was really happy with it... it plays especially well with a spinner, if you happen to have one lying around. If you play the game, then play the old Jaguar or Saturn version of Tempest 2000, you'll notice a VAST difference in the quality of the visuals. It's like comparing a cave painting to the work of da Vinci.

• 2 years later...

I went back to this after not playing it for a couple of years... Wow. Now I have a Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0 and it makes the game just feel awesome. Better than a spinner. Better than a keyboard. Better than a mouse. The precision is just incredible. Just dial up the sensitivity and you have pinpoint accuracy.

full 1920x1080 at full speed with all the bells and whistles. this has better than T2K/T3K graphics, the same music as T2K, and better control than T2K/T3K.

I forgot how much harder Typhoon is than T2K. In T2K, you can go a long time with never touching the superzapper but you need it pretty early on in Typhoon. also, even the basic baddies are tougher in this game. I never died on the first level in T2K but in this one, I actually died occasionally.

don't forget to enable antialiasing... it's not on by default... play with the graphical settings. you can make it more or less trippy, based on your preference... it's weird how gems like this game can slip through the cracks...

I've posted about it on a variety of forums, but no one has ever shown interest. It's a fully-fledged package, 100% free.. I don't get it. :?

wow! I just tried the web rotation (pressing F5 or F6) and it makes it like a totally different game! I can't quite tell the difference between what F5 does versus F6. so I'll stick to F5. admittedly, the web rotation does make the game a little easier because no longer do you have to figure out left and right when you in complex webs or are upside down. since the web rotates, you always know what direction to go. but the 3D effect is really cool.

now I think Dave Theurer should've stuck to his guns and made the web rotate rather than the claw. motion sickness??? pshawwwwww....

Just Tried it and must so I am impressed, too bad they do not have more games like this on Xbox live, at least the Wii gets some different downloadable games once in a while. Were can I get a Microsoft Trackball, never knew they sold them.

Unfortunately, MS got out of the business of selling trackballs. Here's what my trackball looks like:

ms-trackball-optical-thumb1.jpg

These Microsoft trackballs are really popular with the diehard owners so the used trackballs sell for hundreds. I tried to bid on eBay for used trackballs but when the price would constantly go over $100, it was too rich for my blood. I got the trackball by accident actually. An office was clearing out old hardware and I saw this and claimed it. I intended on keeping it as a backup mouse in case my regular mouse died. While I was waiting for a new mouse to come in the mail, I was stuck with the trackball and now I prefer the trackball over a regular mouse. I love it because the secondary buttons are very easy to use and the Intellipoint mapping software has no equal.

The closest thing to the Microsoft trackball is the Logitech one which sells for much cheaper than the MS one:

logitech-wireless-trackball-m570.png

I have nothing major against the Logitech design. The key mapping software could be better. And the secondary buttons all favor the index finger and are small so in a major firefight, it's easy to hit the wrong button whereas with the Microsoft one, you just have to hit in a vicinity to get the right button since the button is so large.

I like the thumb design versus the trackball where you use your palm or middle fingers:

18323.png

14710.png

I hated having to move my whole hand with the ball in the middle. It'd get tired after a long day of work or gaming. It's also much harder to do drag and drop operations in a desktop environment with the palm design. and good luck with using both primary and secondary buttons on the palm design while moving in a firefight. Plus, I had nightmare flashbacks to my hand getting caught in the crevice like in Centipede... :P

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Seems like the website to get this game is down, and I am unable to find it download anywhere else. I am interested in the linux version. Does anyone know of a site where I can pull this game or put it somewhere I can get it?

Thanks,

Patrick

Finally the website got shut down. I had been trying to contact the author through various channels with updated code and whatnot to no avail. And now the site died.. A shame.. And I thought it was a very colorful site to begin with.

I did manage to capture the website though, for documentation and reference. Why does all the good stuff gotta die off or disappear?

Btw: has anyone made any add-on levels with the built-in editor?

Edited by Keatah

My lady, who's a major IT expert, rigged up a wii controller for this. All the arm swinging gets really out of hand quickly. It's pretty cool since you can choose the type of motions whether the grid rotates or your c-shooter does the spinning.

I wish development had continued on this, because, after you go through two bonus/jupiter waves you get CTD.

Edited by Keatah

Just Tried it and must so I am impressed, too bad they do not have more games like this on Xbox live, at least the Wii gets some different downloadable games once in a while. Were can I get a Microsoft Trackball, never knew they sold them.

Unfortunately, MS got out of the business of selling trackballs. Here's what my trackball looks like:

These Microsoft trackballs are really popular with the diehard owners so the used trackballs sell for hundreds.

I use a Kensengton Orbit trackball and it works like a champ. You should try one out if your a trackball user:

41QCS6V6VEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

At $30 bucks you can't go wrong IMO.

Since the author's home page is dead in the water, you can google search. But if you do that you're likely to get older versions. The last version I know of is R_3991.

You can get it here -- http://digiex.net/downloads/download-center-2-0/games/8785-typhoon-2001-tempest-2000-remake.html

Scroll down to middle of the page. Avoid those frakking google-ads, download "typhoon_2001_r3992.zip" It's really 3991 though.

Here is Wayback Machine's capture of the original website. It's got the docs and some history and pretty pictures. http://web.archive.org/web/20090602234613/http://typhoon.kuto.de/index.html

• 1 month later...

These Microsoft trackballs are really popular with the diehard owners so the used trackballs sell for hundreds.

I use a Kensengton Orbit trackball and it works like a champ. You should try one out if your a trackball user:

41QCS6V6VEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

At $30 bucks you can't go wrong IMO.

I have a big preference for thumb trackballs over palm trackballs.

I just saw that the main site is gone for good. *sad*

Well, I'm sure someone can upload the latest version of Typhoon 2001 to Rapidshare or some other file sharing site and no one would notice.

Edited by onlysublime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti2_CCvu0Yw

some gameplay to keep the memories of this game alive. :)

sorry for the poor compression artifacts. I used a screen grabbing program to record the video off my PC so that's why the framerate is so poor on the recorded video. If someone knows a better way to record off a PC (my video card only has DVI/HDMI so I can't use my Hauppauge HD-PVR), please let me know.

plus, the video was so huge because it was a 1920x1080 video. after compressing it down so that it wouldn't be a nightmare for me to upload, I totally neglected to remember that Youtube added compression on top of what I uploaded. So really sorry about the poor quality of the video. But it's about as good as some of the other Typhoon videos out there.

the game runs on my PC at 1920x1080 with all the bells and whistles at 100+ fps.

When I play with this, I use a special mix of the best 80's tunes. And I generally play with the glowing web effects turned off. web detail = simple. It's just way too much background noise and is distracting in the upper levels. I like the cleaner look of the original tempest, so therefore I turned down the web details. INTENSE!

I saved all the major pages from the site in firefox maff zip format. I was going to prepare some good documentation. But the site pages already do that.

Edited by Keatah