IGNORED

Working on a small videogame publication

Like the title states, I'm really interested in producing a small publication that covers videogaming.

I've been working on this idea for quite some time, and after discovering the Jaguar, my interest in reviewing games has rekindled itself. Obviously this is for the fun of it!

I haven't settled on the format for the magazine, but I was thinking of offering the first couple issues as free digital downloads and then moving to print if interest in it is there.

It would be nice to offer a printed version in full-color, but pricing may be too expensive. A color cover w/ b&w pages (i.e. newsletter-style format) may be the best way to go if demand for a printed version is high enough. Each page would be printed from digital files (instead of printing a page from an inkjet and running to a standard copier to make copies) so the overall quality should be really good. A full-color version could also be offered via download at little cost, and who knows, it may end up being more popular (but we’ll see).

The content will span all retro systems so no stone will go unturned. I have already asked a member of the community to contribute reviews and he accepted. I could use at least 1 more person to contribute material for the first issue. You can pick the game / system of your choice and run with it; I leave this up to you! Just send a PM so we can talk!

I don’t have a release date for the first issue (and I don’t want to promise big and fall short) so I will keep interested parties informed as the issue comes closer to completion.

-Mike

Edit: would you believe it took me 5 minutes to come up with a topic name for this thread? lol :cool:

Edited by STGuy1040

Good luck with your new publication. I would be interested in helping you print it and/or make it available online. Please feel free to PM me or email me at vgtnj@SPAMaol.com (remove SPAM)

Tom

Like the title states, I'm really interested in producing a small publication that covers videogaming.

I've been working on this idea for quite some time, and after discovering the Jaguar, my interest in reviewing games has rekindled itself. Obviously this is for the fun of it!

I haven't settled on the format for the magazine, but I was thinking of offering the first couple issues as free digital downloads and then moving to print if interest in it is there.

It would be nice to offer a printed version in full-color, but pricing may be too expensive. A color cover w/ b&w pages (i.e. newsletter-style format) may be the best way to go if demand for a printed version is high enough. Each page would be printed from digital files (instead of printing a page from an inkjet and running to a standard copier to make copies) so the overall quality should be really good. A full-color version could also be offered via download at little cost, and who knows, it may end up being more popular (but we’ll see).

The content will span all retro systems so no stone will go unturned. I have already asked a member of the community to contribute reviews and he accepted. I could use at least 1 more person to contribute material for the first issue. You can pick the game / system of your choice and run with it; I leave this up to you! Just send a PM so we can talk!

I don’t have a release date for the first issue (and I don’t want to promise big and fall short) so I will keep interested parties informed as the issue comes closer to completion.

-Mike

Edit: would you believe it took me 5 minutes to come up with a topic name for this thread? lol :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, time for the travails of The Atari Times!

I originally created it using my STe with PageStream. It was about 9 pages photocopied and I offered it for free on some of the popular BBSs back in '96. After about a year, there were nearly 200 subscribers and I was killing myself each month sending them all out! I did get some donations here and there, but it was still a lot of work to get it out.

Later I realized it was better to have it online, but some still liked something you could hold in your hands. That's when I discovered CafePress.com! All I would do there was create the layout and email them a PDF and they'd do the rest, including the sales and mailing.

So what I'm saying is, be prepared if you offer it for free, because you'll likely have lot of takers!

Good luck!

Ah, time for the travails of The Atari Times!

I originally created it using my STe with PageStream. It was about 9 pages photocopied and I offered it for free on some of the popular BBSs back in '96. After about a year, there were nearly 200 subscribers and I was killing myself each month sending them all out! I did get some donations here and there, but it was still a lot of work to get it out.

Later I realized it was better to have it online, but some still liked something you could hold in your hands. That's when I discovered CafePress.com! All I would do there was create the layout and email them a PDF and they'd do the rest, including the sales and mailing.

So what I'm saying is, be prepared if you offer it for free, because you'll likely have lot of takers!

Good luck!

It sounds like I have my work cut out for me! :D

The medium used to publish the magazine is still being decided so we'll see what happens the closer the issue comes to completion. :)

Thank you for the link!

-Mike

• 3 weeks later...