IGNORED

Ideas on creating/adapting games for vertical display

Scott Stilphen

As is stands, Merlins Walls is the only game designed for this. Yeah, turning your TV set sideways for one game is inconvenient/impossible, but if you have a smaller set (19" or smaller) then it's worth it. Besides, the newer versions of Z26 have an option to turn the screen 90 degress (to the left). Although arcades have long abandoned the format, I wish more people would take advantage of it. I'm surprised Ebivision never adapted a version of their Pac-Man - besides the problem of implementing the scoring counter, a simple change to the maze layout would give you the arcade dimensions. The Vectrex would be the PERFECT system to use this technique, but yet nobody has...

There are existing games that are as good or better in this format, mainly "horizontal" driving games (Grand Prix, Traffic) and shooters (Vanguard, Laser Blast). Some games, like Yars or Dodge 'Em, can be played in either format, and even sort of become a "new" game since you have to relearn how to implement some of your strategies.

Technically, I don't know if it'd be possible to make a new Space-Invaders-type game that took advantage of this, but it would be awesome. Even making a modified version of Grand Prix would be great, either to use paddle controls (for accurate steering control), or going further so that it more closely resembled it's arcade inspiration- Monaco GP (a favorite of mine, to which a home version has never been made. Even MAME doesn't support it...and may never).

What are your thoughts on this?