IGNORED

Vectrex Overlay questions

panamajoe

I'd say the overlays only enhance the games very slightly. While I've tried to collect most of the original overlays, I find that it's fairly rare that I actually use them. The originals really aren't that expensive... you may just want to order a couple from Ebay or elsewhere just to try them out.

i just recievied the pretty awesome 74in1 menu Cartridge for the Vectrex and now i keep asking myself if the games were even better WITH Overlays...

What do you think? Do the Overlays make a difference?

and: where can i get some good Overlay repros?

If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the 74in1 cart? I've been looking for something like that.

I find not having the overlays to range from not important to being a good part of the experience. Depends on the game really. I've even made some of my own overlays. :)

Sean Kelly is currently selling some of his Multicarts on ebay now. Also highly recommended is the USB programmable Vecflash.

Edited by remowilliams

I find not having the overlays to range from not important to being a good part of the experience. Depends on the game really. I've even made some of my own overlays. :)

Sean Kelly is currently selling some of his Multicarts on ebay now. Also highly recommended is the USB programmable Vecflash.

I think the overlays add a lot actually. Give the games an even more arcade feel to them. I always use mine. Also, I'll vouch for the Vecflash being a great product.

i just recievied the pretty awesome 74in1 menu Cartridge for the Vectrex and now i keep asking myself if the games were even better WITH Overlays...

What do you think? Do the Overlays make a difference?

and: where can i get some good Overlay repros?

If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the 74in1 cart? I've been looking for something like that.

got mine here:

http://vectrex.playntradeonline.com/

fantastic product, highly recommended

Yes the VecFlash is great - you can then play whatever you want. However, the version I have is limited to a maximum of 32 programs including the menu selection program.

I don't know about a 74 in 1 multicart, unless its a typo. The Sean Kelly cart only has 60 programs.

I suspect you have the 72 Game Multi cart from Andy Coleman - just recently there was another topic on Atari Age all about this titled "Vectrex 72 Game Multicart back in stock". Or you can just look at the following site http://www.playntradeonline.com/vectrex/shop.html

There's a review of the 72 Game multicart in the online magazine Video Game Trader at :

http://publishing.yudu.com/Aembd/VGTrader6...der%2Findex.htm.

Regarding overlays with the exception of Armour attack and a couple others I feel that many don't add too much to the game. However, they do help to mask/minimise the flickering present on the screen, and I pretty much have the Minestorm overlay in all the time. Usingan an overlay also has the effect of making the Vectrex look more modern - when you see the Vectrex without an overlay to me it looks quite naked -the old b/w crt with its curved corners looks really old fashioned.

One overlay that is superb and adds very much to the game is the one made for the Vectrexians homebrew - it really does give the impression that the game is in colour (you can also see what I mean by looking at the picture in the same magazine at the above link - around page 13).

regards

VectrexMad!

www.vectrex.co.uk

When I received my Vectrex Multicart long long ago I started trying to get my hands on overlays and manuals. They seemed to be everywhere. These days I can't find a loose overlay or manual anymore.

In response - I love having the overlay for the game. It usually is cosmetic but it makes the game! :)

armor.gif

vs

armorattack.gif

Edited by ClassicGMR

Hey ClassicGMR, you are definitely right for Amour Attack.

But overlays that don't have different colour in the game play area of the screen but just give a pretty border like Berzerk, Blitz, Soccer for example, don't add that much to the game (in my opinion) - but everyone is different....

regards

VectrexMad!

www.vectrex.co.uk

Overlays are a must for me.

When I first got my vectrex with just some loose games, I was convinced that overlays were just for the looks, that they didn't add anything...how mistaken I was!!!!

Now, there's no way I can play any game with no overlay, it just doesn't seem right...

The greated advantage of overlay is that they really do decrease the flickering effect, and make playing less tiring for the eyes...

and of course they add color to games..which is another huge adv!

However, there's no need to have all overlays..you could just buy a couple of games with not much drawings on the overlay and use them for start. I tend to use solar quest overlay for most homebrews that don't have their own and it works great!!

Scanned at 300dpi, saved as jpg (quality 8 or better).

I'll make the PDF's :cool:

Thanks alot. :D

Although my scanner and pc do not seem willing to cooperate the last week, I'll fix this problem and will be able to scan again.

I have all the original vectrex games (except the 3d and art carts :( ) ...

sent me a pm with the manuals you miss and I'll do my best to scan them for you (will do during Christmas time ;) )

Awesome. :cool:

I just found a few scans of the MiltonBradly versions (Europe) over at old-computer.com, but I would rather have scans of the GCE versions (USA) versions anyways. This is what I have (all from MB)..

Armor Attack.pdf

Bedlam.pdf

Blitz.pdf

Cosmic Chasm.pdf

Rip Off.pdf

Scramble.pdf

Solar Quest.pdf

Space Wars.pdf

Star Ship.pdf

Feel free to rescan any of those that you have GCE versions of.

@remowilliams and lucifershalo

What do each of you have for scanning? Are they MB or GCE?

• 2 weeks later...