IGNORED

Battery life isn't bad

Atarifever

Okay, so from what I read online, I thought battery life in the Lynx I would be a couple hours on six batteries. I bought six alkalines for $3 total at a dollar store, and so far (I've been timing) I'm at over six hours. On dollar store alkalines. Even if it doesn't start up next time I turn it on, that's only 50 cents an hour. If I'm going camping, that's not a bad deal.

Wow I'm surprised you got 6+ hours on cheap batteries! I didn't think the Lynx would run that long off Energizer or Duracells let alone no name batteries. Sometimes those cheapo batteries are pretty good I guess. What Lynx do you have the original or the LynxII?

The original.

The batteries are called "Sunbeam." Also, when I just went to check for the name that time, I noticed they are covered in guck, but I'm not sure if it's from them. The inside of the Lynx was pretty bad from a previous battery leak when I got it, and it's still working, so I have no idea if these batteries have leaked or not.

I use NiMH rechargable batteries that are rated at 2650 mAh. I can get about 5 hours of life out of a full-charge.

I prefer Sanyo Eneloop, since they don't uncharge all by themselves - only 2000 mAh though. The low battery life that was critisized so much in the beginning of the Lynx' lifespan is based on batteries existing at that time, and they have gotten a lot better and cheaper the last 20 years - e.g. the first NiCD rechargeables I bought for the Lynx had 650 mAh only.

Thorsten

So you all can get your Lynx to run on NMHI and NICAD?

Wow, mine wont come on, I figured it was the 1.2v vs. 1.5 issue. I Found and bought some "juice" brand 1.5v that came with their own charger. Put them in, and they popped (LOUD) after 5 minutes of play, ruined that Lynx II.

AX

Try Energizer or Duracell brand. Radio Shack's brand is also good, but expensive. Most 1.2V rechargeables typically charge to a no load voltage of 1.4 or 1.5 volts, which drops to 1.2 under load. If new cells won't power your Lynx after a full charge, then the Lynx itself has a problem. Chances are there's some gunk on the battery terminals from a previous leak.

• 2 weeks later...