IGNORED

Community Project:2600 Hero

Primordial Ooze

Frets  

32 members have voted

1. 1. How many frets should be included in 2600Hero?

2. 2. How much interest do you have in seeing a guitar hero game for the Aratri 2600?

• No interest at all
    • Just want to see what it would look like on an Atari 2600
    • I would like to see a guitar hero game for the Atari 2600
    • I definitely would like to see it and would buy the cartridge at the atari age store
    • I am a guitar hero maniac and this is a dumb question!

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I'd be interested in seeing how it would look, although I don't know what you would do for the controller.

When it comes right down to it, it's the kind of game that would still beg for a unique controller made for it. Wire up the up/down/left/right for the buttons to press and the fire button for the pick or whatever. That would make it difficult to sell the cartridge tho, if you had to make customized guitars for it. ;)

I'm sure someone here would go out and rewire a guitar hero guitar just to prove it's possible before too long. :ponder:

If I may:

Someone had made a C64 port of Guitar Hero, and with it he made a Playstation-C64 interface:

http://www.synthdreams.com/psx64.php

This should also -- logically -- allow the Atari 2600 to take advantage of Playstation controllers, right? Thus, a guitar- run Guitar Hero port on the Atari 2600 (or a Dance Dance Revolution port like one that was demoed a few years ago here) is possible!

An adapter that will allow you to plug in your ps2 guitar controller is due to arrive very soon. So no hacks will be nesessary.

2600 Hero

So what tracks should this game have?

If we plan on doing anything we most likely shouldn't start out with copyrighted material, as to cover our asses on being sued. (Sorry for the language, Thats just the only way I could think of saying it.)

As for the songs, here are my recommended tracks:

Trogdor (I'm the sure the brothers chaps would be happy to let us use the song.)

Maybe a Remix of the Atari Jingle?

That really all I can think of at the moment...

Watching Lethal Weapon... So um...

Yeah.

If we plan on doing anything we most likely shouldn't start out with copyrighted material, as to cover our asses on being sued. (Sorry for the language, Thats just the only way I could think of saying it.)

Why should this be sold at all? It would be much better as an open, evolving binary, so that composers can continually update their own versions with new songs. Besides which, the concept isn't even ours. It wouldn't be right to sell it.

Why should this be sold at all? It would be much better as an open, evolving binary, so that composers can continually update their own versions with new songs. Besides which, the concept isn't even ours. It wouldn't be right to sell it.

There are no plans to sell it. As the title suggests it a community project and therefore open source. I started a wiki where artists can post their own songs so players can copy and paste it into the source code and play it as well as a way to showcase their work.

Edited by Open Source Pong

That's ok, i know you didn't mean to discourage me. The only problem with missiles and the ball is they share the same color as the player so there's no way to set the missiles/balls color based on which chord it is "running" on. That leaves me with using the multisprite kernel which has it's own problems that come with using it and flickering the chord as you stated above. Any idea on how to flicker the chord and any repercussions it may bring?

2600Hero

That's not entirely true. You can use multicolored sprites since your game is layed out horizontally and create color tables that are longer than the player0 and player1 sprites. Then line up the extended color tables with the missiles to fill in the other two lines with seperate colors You have to watch out though because one players missile will overlap the other player and missile, and I don't remember which one.

So it would go, vertically

missile

sprite

missile

sprite

With the color tables for each sprite also separately coloring the missiles.

If you flicker between the sprites and the missiles, you can use NUSIZ to create clusters of 2 or 3 notes, spaced closely or a little farther apart. The trade off being that you can only have three notes at a time per line or you end up with 20hz or worse flicker. I guess it's not really a trade off, because I can't think of any way you could reasonably get more than 3 notes on a line without using the playfield.

Edited by MausGames

That's ok, i know you didn't mean to discourage me. The only problem with missiles and the ball is they share the same color as the player so there's no way to set the missiles/balls color based on which chord it is "running" on. That leaves me with using the multisprite kernel which has it's own problems that come with using it and flickering the chord as you stated above. Any idea on how to flicker the chord and any repercussions it may bring?

2600Hero

That's not entirely true. You can use multicolored sprites since your game is layed out horizontally and create color tables that are longer than the player0 and player1 sprites. Then line up the extended color tables with the missiles to fill in the other two lines with seperate colors You have to watch out though because one players missile will overlap the other player and missile, and I don't remember which one.

So it would go, vertically

missile

sprite

missile

sprite

With the color tables for each sprite also separately coloring the missiles.

If you flicker between the sprites and the missiles, you can use NUSIZ to create clusters of 2 or 3 notes, spaced closely or a little farther apart. The trade off being that you can only have three notes at a time per line or you end up with 20hz or worse flicker. I guess it's not really a trade off, because I can't think of any way you could reasonably get more than 3 notes on a line without using the playfield.

And i ended up using the playfield as the chords and changed the layout so the notes go from top to bottom like the real guitar hero. You can try it out by downloading the latest source i posted.

As for the songs, here are my recommended tracks:

Trogdor (I'm the sure the brothers chaps would be happy to let us use the song.)

Maybe a Remix of the Atari Jingle?

That really all I can think of at the moment...

Watching Lethal Weapon... So um...

Yeah.

Is there some way to contact the author of Trogdor to ask for permission?

2600 Hero

Sent

Hi,

I have started a community project called 2600 Hero. 2600 Hero is an Atari 2600 port of Guitar Hero. Some members of the Atari Age board have suggested i contact you to use some of your songs for my game. Please let me know as your earliest convenience if this is would be possible. For reference the songs in the game are encoded as follows:

* Music Data Block

* Format:

* v,c,f (voice 0)

* v,c,f (voice 1)

* d

* Explanation:

* v - volume (0 to 15)

* c - control [a.k.a. tone, voice, and distortion] (0 to 15)

* f - frequency (0 to 31)

* d - duration

MusicSetup

sdata musicData=x

end

Thank You for your time,

2600 Hero

Any particular songs i should request from them?

2600 Hero

Cause until we have a "playable" song, it will be difficult to add the gameplay. Since i am not good at making music on the atari, i need contrbutions for the music as even "Marry Had a Little Lamb" is way above me.

2600 Hero

Well, since this is being programmed for bB, why not aproach a bB porgrammer for music. For example, Chris Reade (atari2600land) composed a simple but very good version of "Greensleeves" for his game "Jack and the Bean Stalk." As long as he doesn't mind it being used, he has posted his bB source in that thread.

Jarod

I have added the song "greensleves" which sounds awsome by the way, to the current game engine and as soon as the song is confirmed as being imported correctly, i will start trying to gather infomation on adding and syncing the notes to the song.

2600Hero.bas

2600Hero.bas.bin

It seems everyone has lost interest in my game despite making alot of progress in such a short amount of time. Is anyone still interested in me porting guitar hero to the atari 2600 or can i lay this project to rest?

2600 Hero

Please continue! Even though I can't help technically, I want to encourage you--keep working on it. This has the potential to be pretty cool! :)