IGNORED

Help Test IP.Board 3.0

Albert

The forum software we're currently using is going to be upgraded to IP.Board 3.0 in the next few months. The first beta was released a few days ago and I've setup a test installation here:

http://atariage.com/ipb3/

You will need to register for a new account and then you will be able to login and post. The Gallery and Blog modules are not yet included in the Beta, but those will be available soon. Please play around with it as I'm curious what people think. :)

Thanks,

..Al

The Gallery and Blog modules are not yet included in the Beta, but those will be available soon.

Will we have a chance to play with the Blog module in the test installation before the upgrade goes live?

Yes, very much so. I assume after the holidays that Invision will finish updating the Blog and Gallery modules for IP.Board 3 and make them available for testing. Their plan is to release IP.Board, Blog, Gallery and Downloads at the same time. I will probably be purchasing the Downloads module since it will be very useful for homebrew/hack development. :)

..Al

The Gallery and Blog modules are not yet included in the Beta, but those will be available soon.

Will we have a chance to play with the Blog module in the test installation before the upgrade goes live?

Yes, very much so. I assume after the holidays that Invision will finish updating the Blog and Gallery modules for IP.Board 3 and make them available for testing. Their plan is to release IP.Board, Blog, Gallery and Downloads at the same time. I will probably be purchasing the Downloads module since it will be very useful for homebrew/hack development. :)

..Al

Excellent.

• 3 weeks later...
I am using Windows XP with Firefox. I went to the page. Clicked register and up top it said "Loading..." and froze on me. Will try again.

I assume it worked the second time?

A new beta should be out soon--I haven't been paying attention to the ongoing development the past few weeks as I've been very busy. Will install the new beta as soon as that's available.

..Al

Will the general look of this place change or is it a seamless transition?

I can't imagine this place getting any better than it already is!!! :)

Unclear at this time. The current skin is a royal pain in the neck to maintain, so I may not skin the new forum software quite as extensively. However, the new forum is much easier to skin than the current one, so it may all balance out in the end. :) I only briefly played around with the skinning tools--I'm waiting for the next beta (which should be out soon) before I spend much time on it.

..Al

Oh yes, I got so into posting over there I forgot to come back here.

One thing, I hope you can add my test posts to my total postcount. :D

I am using Windows XP with Firefox. I went to the page. Clicked register and up top it said "Loading..." and froze on me. Will try again.

I assume it worked the second time?

A new beta should be out soon--I haven't been paying attention to the ongoing development the past few weeks as I've been very busy. Will install the new beta as soon as that's available.

..Al

• 2 weeks later...
I just registered on the new forum but it won't let me create any new topics.

Mitch

Did you get the registration email? Did you then click the link in the email to complete the registration?

..Al

Yep and yep. I can login fine, it just says you don't have rights to start a new topic, I suppose I can try replying to the welcome message.

Mitch

That looks much better. I'm using IE6 on the PC I'm on at the moment.

Mitch

I don't think IE6 is going to be very well supported, if at all.

..Al

Yes, I've found other stuff not working properly. (quote buttons, etc) I'm a bit surprised that the are abandoning it. It is getting a bit older and I realize it doesn't support all the new bells and whistles but I think more people still use it than most of the non-Microsoft browsers.

Mitch

Yes, I've found other stuff not working properly. (quote buttons, etc) I'm a bit surprised that the are abandoning it. It is getting a bit older and I realize it doesn't support all the new bells and whistles but I think more people still use it than most of the non-Microsoft browsers.

There's been quite a bit of discussion about this on their support forums. IE6 is quite ancient relative to most browsers and I frankly don't blame them for abandoning it. I think they'll try to fix things like what you pointed out (which is obviously horribly broken), but I honestly would not be surprised if they don't. Time to move on to IE7, IE8, Firefox, Safari, Opera, or something else that's considerably more evolved than IE6.

..Al

Somehow I seem stuck in the validating process now. The valditaing links don't seem to work for me now. I always come to the forum page directly, but I cannot start new or reply to topics

Yeah, something is wrong with the validating process. I need to look in the Invision bug tracker today to see if this is an existing issue, and if not, file some bugs (I've already filed a few for other issues). In the meantime, I am manually validating accounts.

..Al