IGNORED

N64 battery free rumble packs

the.golden.ax

I'd love some info, or a link to a site showing how to do the N64 rumble pack mod for battery free use. This was very common back in the day. Now it seems google is filled with how to turn it into a tatoo gun for prison inmates, and dextrose doesn't even host the data any more.

Any help greatly appreciated.

AX

I'm looking for this too actually. Only found one reference to it aside from Wikipedia. Unfortunately, the site that showed how to do it is long gone and the internet archive shows no love.

http://www.dextrose.com/_forum/archive/index.php/t-723.html

Now it seems google is filled with how to turn it into a tatoo gun for prison inmates

LOL I never heard of that, but I suppose it might make a pretty good one. In prison at least. :P

It can't be that hard to modify. The rumble pack is just a vibrating motor.

Darn. I really wish someone did have some instructions on this. I have a spare rumble pack I wouldn't mind experimenting with, but while I'm handy and not afraid of the soldering iron, I wouldn't know where to begin.

Darn the internet's lack of permanancy!

Now it seems google is filled with how to turn it into a tatoo gun for prison inmates

LOL I never heard of that, but I suppose it might make a pretty good one. In prison at least. :P

AC adaptors work alot better as tat machines, but it's still ghetto...lol... :lol:

I would think you just tap into the Vcc line going into the rumble pak. One of the lines going into it has to power it, if you tapped into that you might be able to draw power to run the motor as needed. It's probably not that simple, but that's a basic idea.

Yes your correct. That will work perfect.

It is possible. I know that there were 3rd party combo rumble paks/memory paks that required no batteries at all. All you would need to do is figure out which are the voltage and common pins in the connector and wire them to the battery terminal lines and it should work fine.

It is possible. I know that there were 3rd party combo rumble paks/memory paks that required no batteries at all. All you would need to do is figure out which are the voltage and common pins in the connector and wire them to the battery terminal lines and it should work fine.

I suppose the way to do it would be to check for voltage on the connectors of an active controller? I'd have to get a Voltage tester.

I might try it, but all I have are the Nintendo brand ones and they're screwed together with those star screws. Going to need to go to the hardware store.

• 2 weeks later...

It is quite an easy mod to perform. I can't remember where i found the mod.

I did it years ago, so I can testify that it has worked fine for years, although i have ever only used two rumble paks at the same time.

I only have modded paks, so these are only 'after' photos!

Points A+B are unsoldered, and resoldered to points C+D.

I can't remember which way round the capacitor was originally, but you can see from the photos that the Blue band is closest to point C.

I hope this helps :)

rumblecx7.jpg

rumble2vc4.jpg