IGNORED

800xl recommended joystick?

murphy245

Wow i didnt think a genesis pad would work.

I just looked at that poll the traditional CX-40 won,doesnt that only have 1 button? will it be sufficient for my xl? their must be games that need 2 buttons or something?

In some games the keys on the keyboard would be used for extra functions. Defender is an example I believe. I'm new to the Atari 8-bit computer line myself so I'm just learning too :D

will it be sufficient for my xl? their must be games that need 2 buttons or something?

The 800/XL/XE lines (insofar as stock/normal capabilities) can't read more than one joystick button per port, so you aren't going to find any games that would require anything different.

As far as the 'best' I highly recommend the Suncom Slik Stiks. :)

Edited by remowilliams

will it be sufficient for my xl? their must be games that need 2 buttons or something?

The 800/XL/XE lines (insofar as stock/normal capabilities) can't read more than one joystick button per port, so you aren't going to find any games that would require anything different.

As far as the 'best' I highly recommend the Suncom Slik Stiks. :)

aha theirs my answer,thanks for that.

I will buy the traditional atari joystick as well as the one you mentioned,i already had my eye on one of those.

CX-40 fan here, especially the "GOLD" version from Best Electrics.

Second choice would be a CX-42 as sold with the flashback 2 consol

Tac-2 is awesome, as is my Radica Space Invaders stick that has been converted to an atari 2600/7800 compatible.

That is another point to make actually, any 2600 stick will work with the 8bit computers

The XL/XE as well as the 2600 is - without any tricks - capable of reading a twin-axis analog input device with up to five buttons - closest to that in existence is the Touch Tablet with its 3 buttons. Many more digital inputs for the same two ports are possible - cf. 2600 keyboard controllers, Multijoy8 and Multijoy16 - with specially programmed software (Fandal patched M.U.L.E. for the Multijoy8 recently, AFAIK, so that a four-player game on XL/XE is now possible).

But as every joystick controlled game uses 2600 compatible digital joysticks (for these dominated the market for more than a decade) and these use up all the five "buttons", additional game functions in existing games are always accessed through the keyboard.

Peronally, I like the all-microswitch Dynamics "Competition Pro" and similar Suzo "Prof Competition" joysticks as well as the Konix Speedking (sold under the Epyx brand in the USA).

Thorsten

Edited by Thorsten Günther

yes, specifically the Epyx 500xj model. It's what I recommend. has sturdy microswitches

I do like microswitches, but I still can't understand why anyone would like that cramp inducing monster of a stick. :P

As long as you get the auto-fire version, its great.. Otherwise, it will wear out your index finger on games that require repetitive "shooting".. As far as directional control, its hard to beat because of the solid "palm of your hand" grip that you have on the base with one hand, and the stick with the other..

Personally, I use a Sega Genesis arcade power stick... This thing has a big heavy base, and doesnt use microswitches, but has a really good "arcade feel" to it.. It also has adjustable-rate rapid-fire, with an LED light to let you know if it's turned on or not..

http://www.8bitjoystick.com/archives/jake_...power_stick.php

http://cgi.ebay.com/sega-genesis-arcade-po...p3286.m20.l1116

Edited by MEtalGuy66

I still have my two original Spectravision SVI-102 Plus sticks from the late 80s. Microswitches, and auto-fire plus 2 triggers (wired as one, one for thumb, one for index finger).

*** Edited for size - sorry about that ***

qsii.jpg

Stephen Anderson

Edited by Stephen

yes, specifically the Epyx 500xj model. It's what I recommend. has sturdy microswitches

I do like microswitches, but I still can't understand why anyone would like that cramp inducing monster of a stick. :P

you get used to it. there's a reason so few joysticks have buttons on the bottom like that. I regularly have to switch hands (mostly to correct myself whenever I catch myself going left-handed on it). When I was a kid this was the ONLY stick that stood up to my abuse. And I think using it hours a day during my formative years (age 3-12 or so) 'adjusted' my bone structure to accomodate it.

I've never understood how people hold the competition pro or standard cx-40 style of sticks. Some of those competition pro shaped controllers are *really* nice, but ergonomically I just never figured out how to hold it.

Well the CX-40 is really nice when all your blisters have healed over :D .

I agree with you on the bone structure thing, though I think it is more of a muscle memory thing. I really hate to use my left hand for control, after years of Atari Abuse with a cx-40 I can only use my left hand for fire buttons, everything else just feels too weird

I still have my two original Spectravision SVI-102 Plus sticks from the late 80s. Microswitches, and auto-fire plus 2 triggers (wired as one, one for thumb, one for index finger).

*** Edited for size - sorry about that ***

qsii.jpg

Stephen Anderson

I have a couple of these but sadly they were almost totally worn out when I got them and haven't had a real chance to go though and fix everything (seeing as I have my CX-40 that's okay). Strangely, I have a pair of these for the NES that are gray/gray, but otherwise are identical.

Nathan

you get used to it. there's a reason so few joysticks have buttons on the bottom like that. I regularly have to switch hands (mostly to correct myself whenever I catch myself going left-handed on it). When I was a kid this was the ONLY stick that stood up to my abuse. And I think using it hours a day during my formative years (age 3-12 or so) 'adjusted' my bone structure to accomodate it.

I've never understood how people hold the competition pro or standard cx-40 style of sticks. Some of those competition pro shaped controllers are *really* nice, but ergonomically I just never figured out how to hold it.

The CX-40 and Competition Pro are held in the left hand (thumb on trigger) and the stick is moved with the thumb and index finger of the right hand. Or, if one is left-handed and has a Competition Pro - vice versa. I don't know how a left-handed player copes with a CX-40 though - changing the wires internally perhaps?

Thorsten

The CX-40 and Competition Pro are held in the left hand (thumb on trigger) and the stick is moved with the thumb and index finger of the right hand. Or, if one is left-handed and has a Competition Pro - vice versa. I don't know how a left-handed player copes with a CX-40 though - changing the wires internally perhaps?

no what I mean by 'don't know how to hold them' is that they've got hard edges and don't fit very well into a human hand where the epyx 500xj fits into the hand very well, and then wears out your trigger finger.

the only reason I catch myself going left-handed on the epyx is the years of playing on asian 'lefty' controls and my thumb can be used on the fire button then.