IGNORED

Two Player Only Games

cvga

Other than Combat, are there any other games that require two players? I remember having a dedicated Pong unit that required two players and I recall that several of the Intellivision sports games had to have two players but I'm not sure about other Atari games although I'm sure there are some. What other carts need two people to play?

The unreleased M Network games Sea Battle and Swordfight also require two players. Apparently they were not released due to this fact. Intellivision Productions would later release a limited run of both of these games, and they are also now sold in the AtariAge Store. The homebrew game Mental Kombat by Simon Quernhorst is also a two-player only game.

..Al

The unreleased M Network games Sea Battle and Swordfight also require two players. Apparently they were not released due to this fact. Intellivision Productions would later release a limited run of both of these games, and they are also now sold in the AtariAge Store. The homebrew game Mental Kombat by Simon Quernhorst is also a two-player only game.

..Al

That's funny that Intellivision Productions would not release them because of that when several intellivision games and the M-Network games required two players.

Outlaw

Air-Sea Battle

Swordfight

Freeway

Cold War (on Stella's Stocking)

Outlaw, Air-Sea Battle, and Freeway are all described as one-player or two-player games on their respective boxes so they wouldn't count. I do agree however, that they are much better two-player than one-player games.

Here's the updated list...

Combat

Combat II

Football

International Soccer

Mental Kombat

Sea Battle

Super Challenge Baseball

Super Challenge Football

Swordfight

I didn't know where to put Cold War since it's one option on a multi-cart.

Good calls on Armor Ambush and Slot Racers. Evidently there is a one-player option for Space War (at least according to the box). For some reason I couldn't wait to get Space War as a kid. Once I got it, I hated it and rarely played it. It must have been the description in the catalog that made me want it so badly. I used to read and reread all of the game descriptions over and over trying to determine which games to ask for next. Considering how limited my funds were, I chose some real stinkers like Space War and Street Racer :(

Maze Craze?

Peace

The box says that this is a one or two player game. I'd imagine that there are many games that are much more practical as two player games even though they have one player options.

Technically it's a two player game, but this page in the manual states some variations can be played by one person:

http://www.atariage.com/manual_page.html?S...p;currentPage=1

Each player* controls a blue or red cop. Your cop's beat is a maze of city

blocks, and you must move the cop from the left side of the maze to the exit

on the right, as shown in the diagram.

*MAZE CRAZE™ may be played by one player, depending on the game number you're

playing. See GAME VARIATIONS and the GAME SELECT MATRIX to determine whether

anything has to happen to a second player in order for you to exit the maze

and end the game.

..Al

Technically it's a two player game, but this page in the manual states some variations can be played by one person:

Well then I would have to disagree....If the manual states some variations can be played by one person then technically it is a one or two player game. Not a two player only as the topic requests. ;)

@cvga

Thanks for the list. I am working on a "Atari 2600 GameBase" and I hadn't even thought about marking the two player only games. This helps, thanks again. :)

Party Mix is for two to four players. One person could play it, but it's not much fun.

Good call! Here's the updated list...

Combat

Combat II

Football

International Soccer

Mental Kombat

Party Mix

Sea Battle

Super Challenge Baseball

Super Challenge Football

Swordfight

Party Mix is for two to four players. One person could play it, but it's not much fun.

I'll clarify that Party Mix is for two or four players.

It isn't fun with three players either, because the games are set up with two teams of two players.

Tug of War is the only game you could play with three players. Since the only control is the paddle button, one player could play with two paddles.