IGNORED

Lynx II -- flickering screen help

mitsurugi-w

Hey! New to the Lynx scene. I bought a Lynx II. It worked fine for about an hour but then the screen began to flicker and you can hear a fairly loud whining sound from within. If I turn off the backlight the sound goes away. This leads me to believe there is a problem with whatever is driving the power to the backlight. All games play fine and I get the same problem with batteries and power supply. If anyone can lead me to what components need to be replaced it would be nice to know what to look for before I open her up. Thanks in advance!

Hey! New to the Lynx scene. I bought a Lynx II. It worked fine for about an hour but then the screen began to flicker and you can hear a fairly loud whining sound from within. If I turn off the backlight the sound goes away. This leads me to believe there is a problem with whatever is driving the power to the backlight. All games play fine and I get the same problem with batteries and power supply. If anyone can lead me to what components need to be replaced it would be nice to know what to look for before I open her up. Thanks in advance!

The backlight is history. You probably have a bad bulb in there, which is why it's flickering. The only place I can think of for a replacement is Best Electronics. Your other option is to install an LED backlight, but that's more of a mod than a repair and I don't know of anyone who has tried it yet.

I am not sure what components are included in an electronic ballast. If it's not the bulb itself causing this, you will need to replace some things in the ballast circuit and you'll need to replace the bulb at the same time.