IGNORED

SIO2USB and SpartaDOS X (4.20)

spookt

Hi Guys

Is anyone using an SIO2USB with SpartaDOS X ? I finally got my 800XL permanently hooked up next to the Mac and have spent the last couple of nights playing with Sparta and the SIO2USB.

I decided to use s2ushell to create a new atr and then tried to format it with the SDX format command. However format will not recognise the atr as a floppy and then fails to complete the build directory operation. Funny thing is I grabbed a copy of xinit from SD32G and I can successfully format the same image with that (so long as I say no to high speed skew).

Am I doing something stupid or does SDX just not like the SIO2USB ?

PS - I just tried doing a similar thing using Ape and my SIO2Serial instead and it worked fine.

Edited by spookt

Hi Guys

Is anyone using an SIO2USB with SpartaDOS X ? I finally got my 800XL permanently hooked up next to the Mac and have spent the last couple of nights playing with Sparta and the SIO2USB.

I decided to use s2ushell to create a new atr and then tried to format it with the SDX format command. However, no mater if I create a DD or SD atr, format will not recognise it as a floppy and then fails to complete the build directory operation. Funny thing is I grabbed a copy of xinit from SD32G and I can successfully format the same image with that (so long as I say no to high speed skew).

Am I doing something stupid or does SDX just not like the SIO2USB ?

PS - I just tried doing a similar thing using Ape and my SIO2Serial instead and it worked fine.

I'm just onlline with the SIo2USB Team, will discuss it and test it.

Do you have any non standard OS in the Atarai XL (like ones with speeders)?

Which drivers are loaded in the SpartaDOS X (config.sys)?

Also, please send a short E-Mail to the support address mentioned in the handbook.

Carsten

Edited by cas

Hi,

is it a SIO2USB from ABBUC (standalone device) or the SIO2Seriell for MacOS X from AtariMax?

Carsten

Hi Carsten

It one of your SIO2USBs (serial 4101 :) )

As I said above I can format (well actually only "build directory") on DD images or XX images with 256 bytes per sector. The formatter still doesn't seem to see DD images as a floppy though since it's only allowing the "build directory" option.

Cheers

Paul

Also, please send a short E-Mail to the support address mentioned in the handbook.

Carsten

I have a 32in1 from AtariMax but currently running regular PAL XL Rev C.

Current config.sys:

USE OSRAM
DEVICE SPARTA OSRAM
DEVICE SIO
DEVICE ATARIDOS
DEVICE RAMDISK
DEVICE JIFFY
DEVICE D1:>UTILS>QE2.SYS
SET PATH=CAR:;D1:>UTILS

I'll send an email to the support address also. Thanks for looking at it, I was really checking firstly if I was doing something stupid :ponder:

• 5 weeks later...

Carsten

I have a 32in1 from AtariMax but currently running regular PAL XL Rev C.

Current config.sys:

USE OSRAM
DEVICE SPARTA OSRAM
DEVICE SIO
DEVICE ATARIDOS
DEVICE RAMDISK
DEVICE JIFFY
DEVICE D1:>UTILS>QE2.SYS
SET PATH=CAR:;D1:>UTILS

I'll send an email to the support address also. Thanks for looking at it, I was really checking firstly if I was doing something stupid :ponder:

Hey,

The issue is not forgotten. I have been asked to investigate by RAF, but currently I do not have a SIO2USB available, since I do not own one. I will try to look for one on the next regional group meeting in March, if possible.

Did you try to update to SDX 4.21 ? You can find the EPROM file on my webpage. Maybe it helps.

My guess is that SDX, which tries to detect the kind of drive hardware, does not accept those images as a substitute, because the response is not there or faulty.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I have been getting regular updates from Harry.

I haven't tried to upgrade do 4.21. I'm hoping to order an 8Mb flash cart from AtariMax shortly and then I'll go to 4.42.

You also could try to use the format.com that comes with BEWEDOS.

this has a very nice option, it's called "Build directory" ... it does not send a format command, but only writes the right boot sectors. Very handy, and fast.

If you don't have it, i can put it in this topic.

I guess SpartaDOS diskformat is the same in SDX?

You also could try to use the format.com that comes with BEWEDOS.

this has a very nice option, it's called "Build directory" ... it does not send a format command, but only writes the right boot sectors. Very handy, and fast.

If you don't have it, i can put it in this topic.

Marius1976, just FYI, the SpartaDOS X formatter looks like this:

sdx-formatter.png

This is 4.42, but in 4.20 it is very similar, and it contains the "Build directory" function as well.

• 2 months later...

Hey,

Long time gone and finally just tested.

I just can confirm that single density images on the SIO2USB simply lock SpartaDOS X V 4.2x and 4.42. All other sizes including custom ones work perfect.

A test using SysInfo 2.18 indicates SIO2USB to be a "fixed disk", therefore you cannot "format" but only "build directories".

This is the intended function.

I just reported to the developer's team about the problem with singel density images, since we gathered for the regional meeting NOMAM in Northern Germany and will stay 'til Sunday. So we have a chance to perform additional tests on request.

If there is something to comment please do not hesitate to do so.