IGNORED

Cancelled:Spongebob Pattypants

Primordial Ooze

I am having problems with my game Spongebob Pattypants. For some reason the colors all all messed up and the playfield layout isn't how it defined on the playfield definition. Could someone look into this? I have attached the code and screenshot as a rreference.

Sincerely,

Spongebob Pattypants

Spongebob.bas

post-14036-1231268698_thumb.png

Edited by Open Source Pong

Who cares about lawyers.. you're not trying to make a million bucks off this.

I hate to break it to you, but Spongebob is what you would call quite an extraordinarily active property. The company holding it is bound to protect the property against all infringement. It doesn't matter what your intentions are - if they find out I can guarantee that you will at a minimum immediately get a cease and desist.

Edited by remowilliams

Easy.

Do your game. On your machine, have the cool, infringing sprites. When it's done, post it up with some other sprites that are suggestive, but not infringing. Make sure these are compatable where game play is concerned.

You change the name, right now, making it clear the "old" version is to be depreciated. Then post your updates and whatever else you want to do, with the non-infringing sprites.

I would comment your code, "If you want to modify your player sprite..." This is simple education, and clarity in the spirit of sharing your work and helping others.

It's bB, people can take it from there, if they want to. Heck, hold a contest for the "best sprites" and "funniest name" just to mix it up totally in your favor.

Edited by potatohead

Easy.

Do your game. On your machine, have the cool, infringing sprites. When it's done, post it up with some other sprites that are suggestive, but not infringing. Make sure these are compatable where game play is concerned.

You change the name, right now, making it clear the "old" version is to be depreciated. Then post your updates and whatever else you want to do, with the non-infringing sprites.

I would comment your code, "If you want to modify your player sprite..." This is simple education, and clarity in the spirit of sharing your work and helping others.

It's bB, people can take it from there, if they want to. Heck, hold a contest for the "best sprites" and "funniest name" just to mix it up totally in your favor.

Like? What else can i do to make it different, a clown that has to juggle balls in the air without dropping them? link

I wasn't going to *sell* my SpongeBob game, seeing as how what remowilliams said. But is making something and selling something two different things?

I wasn't either , i did it because i'm a big spongebob fan and i wanted to have a second spongebob game seeing there aren't too many on the 2600.

Edited by Open Source Pong

The thing about that is if he says it's Spongebob, then it is!

So, don't say that. Make the game. Maybe Soakerjoe Jellowpants, right? You get the idea.

Basically, let's say a game exists. And I, the consumer of that game, think maybe it would be fun to put Spongebob in there, I get to do that. Any of us can do that.

What we can't do is post it up here, show our friends and say, "Hey, look at the Spongebob game" and somehow leverage the popularity or noteriety of Spongebob.

It's bB. The sprites are out there.

So then, make the game, and it's known as that game that was supposed to be the Spongebob game, and let people do what they will.

If it's a fun game, it can be a fun Soakerjoe Jellowpants game.

And everybody knows it was supposed to be a Spongebob game, but for some cold blooded legal people.

That's as good as it gets.

The word for it is "likeness". Doesn't have to be exact. It just has to be recognizable, by your average person, as "Spongebob" like, and that's infringing. Double negative points, if you actually say, "Hey, look! This little Atari square, with the holes in it, is Spongebob". In that case, it's essentially, Spongebob.

Of course, some little kid making a sketch in school is infringing too. And we enter fair use territory, which is another discussion. (long one, and murky one --the more dollars you have, the more fair your use is!)

There are plenty of activist people, who push this edge for expression. One example I can think of was some clown drew Mickey Mouse, with three ears, a caption that said, "Not Mickey Mouse", holding a cigarette. Chapped Disney's ass proper! Published in a 'zine called "STAY FREE". Excellent banned or infringing critical works 'zine. Don't know if it's still running, but I enjoyed most of the mailings I got.

I'm into that stuff, as I've been watching the Internet, and "Rip, Mix, Burn" collide with control freak greedy property owners more and more as time passes. We live in interesting times as some precident will be set during our lives that isn't usually set. (Pay your EFF dues, or sign up!)

So, if you are into advancing the law, and taking some risk, it's there for you. Otherwise, a more subtle approach works, expression is still possible, given you avoid the notoriety problem.

That was essentially my suggestion here. Everything necessary for somebody to actually experience the intent is there. Just some assembly required.

Or make a friend, and publish the game somewhere this stuff doesn't matter. Can't take direct credit though, or it's still trouble.

I'm starting to get really freaked out by the sheer number of licensing discussions that I've encountered on the developer boards.

[rant]

Ironically, isn't this sort of mentality that caused the video game crash? Lack of imagination? Reliance on brand-recognition to artificially spark interest?

Isn't it supposed to be about the gameplay?

Isn't it supposed to be about the fun??

Why try to win support by saying your game is based on some copywritten TV show? That's not programming... it's marketing. Let's try for a new twist, or an unique game mechanic. If you make an enjoyable game, no one will care if you call the character "Hominus Erectus III." Let's not let this hobby become some absurd microcosm of what's wrong with the REST of commercial gaming.

[/rant]

Edited by jrok

That's a good rant, and I completely agree!

(which is why I posted what I did.)

It's either a fun little game or not.

And it's not a bad idea to talk about the use rights of things from time to time. Lots of confusion on those things. It's generally bad for us, the more of that there is.

Listen to the *IAA and you might think breathing on the CD or DVD wrong is a major deal. It isn't. Better to know where the boundaries are, or they will push them up until you do become aware. Something to that.

IMHO, some here take it way too far. There is a huge difference between some coding for fun and expression and making a commercial go of something.

I agree that this game should be finished as a spongebob game...the odds of any one holding the license to spongebob hearing about your little homebrew game is nill and would be of no concern if it's intent is not commercial.

Besides we've probably all heard the stories about George Lucas VS. the star wars fanfilms. Yet fan films are still made today...