IGNORED

520ST Questions.........

I will be receiving what is appareantly a untested ATARI 520ST (NTSC CANADA/US VERSION) Untested but undamaged and without power supply or any

other accessories, just the unit itself, no mouse or connectors.

Now, I will also soon be receiving my FIST ever ATARI computer an 800XL but that includes everything to get started.

As far as the 520ST though, I would like to know:

1. Is the 520ST POWER SUPPLY specific or can I use ANY PSU for the ST line?

2. Are ALL Atari mouse compatible? Or do I require an ST specific one? Do the 8 bit computer like the 800XL even use

a mouse?

3. Do I require an add-on floppy drive for the ST? Does it play carts like the XL? Are the ST/XL at all compatible with

each other?

Lastly, having grown up an Commodore fan these are my absolute first Atari computers so PLEASE any info, suggestions and comments

regarding these machines I will be receiving would be greatly appreciated! THANK IN ADVANCE! :D

I will be receiving what is appareantly a untested ATARI 520ST (NTSC CANADA/US VERSION) Untested but undamaged and without power supply or any

other accessories, just the unit itself, no mouse or connectors.

Now, I will also soon be receiving my FIST ever ATARI computer an 800XL but that includes everything to get started.

2. Are ALL Atari mouse compatible? Or do I require an ST specific one? Do the 8 bit computer like the 800XL even use

a mouse?

3. Do I require an add-on floppy drive for the ST? Does it play carts like the XL? Are the ST/XL at all compatible with

each other?

Lastly, having grown up an Commodore fan these are my absolute first Atari computers so PLEASE any info, suggestions and comments

regarding these machines I will be receiving would be greatly appreciated! THANK IN ADVANCE! :D

Only the original STs had external power supply, so you may be lucky and just need a power cable

You will need an ST mouse unless you can get hold of a peST device, then you can use any PC ps/2 mouse.

The Atari 8bit's can use an ST mouse, but there are very few programs that support it

All but the very basic ST's came with an internal 3.5" drive

The ST and XL/XE are not compatible, but you can use 2600 compatible joysticks just like the XL/XE

Edited by mimo

I am assuming you are getting a bare original 520ST without the floppy drive or PSU. The way it is and depending on its cosmetic condition it's only good to be put in a jar and on display with a little tag stating this a 520ST by Atari. Alternatively it can also be used as a doorstop. :D

Now let's answer your questions.

1. You will need a 520ST powersupply since all other ST computers came with an internal PSU.

2. ALL atari mice are compatible. If you find a mouse with an atari logo on it, it will work. Alternatively you can use all sorts of third party mice available for the ST or Amiga (with a slight modification if it's amiga only and without a switch), or a PeST interface to connect a PS2 mouse of your choice.

3. Yes you do. The st is totally incompatible to the a8.

4. In order to see anything coming out of the machine, you will need an RGB monitor or an external TV modulator. If you plan to use a non atari monitor you will need to make a proper cable for it. That means you will need to seek a 13-pin DIN adapter.

5. All in all the cost for you to make that machine run anything will be way more expensive than buying a 1040STFM of ebay including lots of other cool stuff.

I'd say welcome to the ST but you are still too far away ;). OTOH, you'll love the A8 so welcome there.

a mouse?

each other?

The 520ST PS is very hard to come by. It will most likely cost MORE than a whole 1040STf computer. I would see about getting a used PS from eBay if you can, or better yet get a 1040ST and be done with it.

a mouse?

each other?

1.) They're difficult to find.

2.) Yes. You can also use PC mice with a special adapter but good luck finding one. :(

3.) It depends; older versions of the 520ST did not come with built-in floppy drives.

Here's some information that may or may not be of any importance to you (since you may already know ) but programs that run in Monochrome (in most cases) require a monochrome monitor. Some desktop publishing software, for example, requires a monochrome monitor (if memory serves me correctly). I play mostly games on my STs so I use color monitors and TVs and have no need for monochrome monitors.

Early Atari ST disk drives were single-sided, but double-sided drives were available much later in the system's life, and you may want to invest in a couple since you can store more information on them. Plus, you can use certain PC floppy drives as replacements if the ones for your ST fail, but I can't recall which ones are compatible at the moment.

Edit: Maybe someone can chime in with the PC disk drive information?

Edited by STGuy1040