IGNORED

Region question for ST software/emu's

Shannon

I got a question concerning this. On the Atari 8-bits I already have a pretty good idea of when a game, program, or demo was meant for NTSC or PAL. But I have no clue on the ST so I was wondering if people could give me a general idea.

What is the best way to tell? I need a way of determining this for...

Games (just a plain 'ol game by itself).

Menu disks. For example the D-bug disks. I'm guessing the group is european but maybe some of the games on the disk were NTSC?

Just wondering. When I think about it, on the 8-bit there is no definitive way. I just happen to know which games were released in the states and which ones are european. :lol: So it is easier for me. Typically on the 8-bit a company would have a US name (like synapse) and elsewhere a different one (synsoft). But alot of times they would not bother adjusting for the framerate difference.

I'd just like to know so I have the thing running at the proper speed. :lol: Whether it be the game or the music.

Edited by Shannon

What will happen when you try to run a game made for 50Hz at 60Hz (I'd use PAL and NTSC but that is not exactly right in the context of the ST (video signal is RGB and also doesn't really adhere to the standards)), is that you'll get faster gameplay and faster audio replay. The ST was bigger in europe, so game programmers fit their programs for europe. Now if you happen to have an atari monitor, you can run the games in either 50 or 60 Hz with out an issue. For tv many game menus include a switch to 60Hz or get the value from the ROM. The ST by itself can operate very well in both ntsc and pal settings.

Ahh. I forgot about the built in selectors.

Yeah I guess what I'm a stickler for is I wanna hear the music at it's intended speed and play the game at it's intended speed. On the 8-bit I have a pretty good idea. So alot of ST stuff is fit for europe due to it's popularity...?

Thanks