IGNORED

S-video on the st?

Walter_J-64

I dont know what s-video actually is, but I once saw instructions on how to connect up a composite video output, which I think is the same thing, I believe the mod was (and it was a looong time ago so dont quote me on this), that the RF modulator takes a composite input, so the ST provides both RGB for the monitor, and Composite for the modulator, but dosnt give a composite port, but, since the signal exists you just need to hook up a socket. Then again I could be totally wrong, but it might help your research.

I dont know what s-video actually is, but I once saw instructions on how to connect up a composite video output, which I think is the same thing, I believe the mod was (and it was a looong time ago so dont quote me on this), that the RF modulator takes a composite input, so the ST provides both RGB for the monitor, and Composite for the modulator, but dosnt give a composite port, but, since the signal exists you just need to hook up a socket. Then again I could be totally wrong, but it might help your research.

S-video(Y/C) is a video signal with the luma(Y) and chroma© components separated, whereas composite video is an integrated signal, all in one.

Regarding composite output on the ST. Doesn't the ST's monitor connector deliver a composite video signal on one of its pins?? Or am I remembering incorrectly?

Yeah, pin 2 is the composite video pin. It only works if you have an ST with an RF modulator. It's fine for you Europeans where I believe all 520 and 1040STs come with one, but due to the strict FCC regulations that we have in the US, :x Atari had to take it out in the later models of the 520/1040ST in the US machines. :(

Luckily the STE fixed this. :)

Yeah, pin 2 is the composite video pin.  It only works if you have an ST with an RF modulator.  It's fine for you Europeans where I believe all 520 and 1040STs come with one, but due to the strict FCC regulations that we have in the US,  :x  Atari had to take it out in the later models of the 520/1040ST in the US machines.   :(    

Luckily the STE fixed this.   :)

Ahaa, thanks for the info. Man, all these regulations :roll:

I seem to remember that STf's had internal floppies but no modulator, STm's had a modulator but presumably an external floppy, and STfm's had both, STe's being a tottally revamped beast with far higher specs. Oh and I did say I know nothing about s-video, but now I do, kinda, thanks :).

• 6 years later...
you can't use s-video, but you can use RGB on a normal tv, even better !

Thelen

Hi, I know this message is OLD. But, can you explain to me how to do this? How can I make a cable to use RGB on any tv? I made a composite cable, works great! But, I have a st that has no RF..and if you can explain how to do this..that would so cool! Thank you, please e-mail me davemorris4a@hotmail.com , David

Hi, I know this message is OLD. But, can you explain to me how to do this? How can I make a cable to use RGB on any tv? I made a composite cable, works great! But, I have a st that has no RF..and if you can explain how to do this..that would so cool! Thank you, please e-mail me davemorris4a@hotmail.com , David

http://www.algonet.se/~guld1/hardware/atari-scart.html

• 1 month later...

http://www.algonet.se/~guld1/hardware/atari-scart.html

thank you.