IGNORED

is there a way to make ball bigger?

rpgfaker

Thanks Random Terrain but I was trying for a light source like Haunted House or Adventure (in the dark castle maze).

That's what I get for scrolling too fast. :dunce:

Curse you scroll wheel! :D

Using the ball wouldn't help since it would be the same color as the playfield pixels. I bet Nukey Shay could tell you how it's done in the game. Seems like you'd have to use a quad-sized player sprite that is behind the playfield.

Thanks Random Terrain but I was trying for a light source like Haunted House or Adventure (in the dark castle maze).

That's what I get for scrolling too fast. :dunce:

Curse you scroll wheel! :D

Using the ball wouldn't help since it would be the same color as the playfield pixels. I bet Nukey Shay could tell you how it's done in the game. Seems like you'd have to use a quad-sized player sprite that is behind the playfield.

sounds like I could display a larger character and use like x-9 y-9 to offset the bigger sprite, thanks for the idea Random Terrain :)

Both Adventure and Haunted House use a quad-sized 8-pixel player sprite for the light, not a quad-sized 1-pixel ball sprite. You cannot stretch the ball sprite that wide.

BTW whether you choose to use the ball (Adventure) or a player object (Haunted House) as player-controlled, be sure to set sprite priority accordingly so that it will appear in front of the surrounding "light". This is bit 2 of CTRLPF. If the ball sprite has priority over the player sprites, so will the playfield pixels. That's what makes Adventure's light reveal walls in dark rooms.

Cave-In does that. Go ask and maybe he'll tell you how he did it:

HERE

Sure, I can share how I did it. :)

I've attached sample code and a sample binary of exactly how to do it. In this sample, your character is surrounded by the 'light' sprite, and can move around to reveal an invisible playfield. There is no collision detection, but it does show how to do what you're trying to do.

Thanks,

Steve

advlight.bin

AdvLight.txt

Edited by Atarius Maximus