IGNORED

Any good CV controllers out there?

cimerians

Im either not good or too lazy to make a custom CV controller but does anyone know of anyone makes\sells them?

I'm losing patience with my originals and I'm tired of cleaning them etc.

Search my screen name for the "microswitch" replacement versions I make. I replace the directional switches with very small tactile switches and set up microswitches to be keyed off the fire buttons. No "leaf" connections left when I'm done. They work VERY well.

I'll do a set (2) for $60, or $44 if you supply the controllers (need not be working). It takes an hour or so to desolder the old stuff, set up and epoxy the new switches and then point solder these in place. Plus I test em.

PM me for details.

ETA: I am not adverse to doing a "custom" set up with full arcade hardware (e.g., an 8 button keypad plus 8 way (or 4 / 8 switchable) joystick, plus 4 buttons. But that will cost easily $125 given the time and labor to put it all together.

Edited by GonzoCV-1

Im either not good or too lazy to make a custom CV controller but does anyone know of anyone makes\sells them?

Search my screen name for the "microswitch" replacement versions I make. I replace the directional switches with very small tactile switches and set up microswitches to be keyed off the fire buttons. No "leaf" connections left when I'm done. They work VERY well.

I'll do a set (2) for $60, or $44 if you supply the controllers (need not be working). It takes an hour or so to desolder the old stuff, set up and epoxy the new switches and then point solder these in place. Plus I test em.

PM me for details.

ETA: I am not adverse to doing a "custom" set up with full arcade hardware (e.g., an 8 button keypad plus 8 way (or 4 / 8 switchable) joystick, plus 4 buttons. But that will cost easily $125 given the time and labor to put it all together.

Thanks much! PM Sent

Ever try one of these? I just picked up a pair yesterday. Beats the heck out of the regular controllers.

Thanks and yup I have a pair but I just cant get over the trigger fire button. :P

Ever try one of these? I just picked up a pair yesterday. Beats the heck out of the regular controllers.

Thanks and yup I have a pair but I just cant get over the trigger fire button. :P

LOL. I hear ya. Their all very unique controllers and really add character to the system but DON'T add to functionality much. :D

Agreed, these are my controllers of choice, of course I have huge hands and I liked the original Dreamcast and Xbox controllers too!

Agreed, these are my controllers of choice, of course I have huge hands and I liked the original Dreamcast and Xbox controllers too!

I love the Dreamcast and Xbox controllers.

I occassionally offer them for sale. Any particular style you're interested in?

Pictures 1, 2, 5, 6,. The colored ones, the coleco pad, the bigger coleco pad and the 7800 pad.

I can't wait to see the system that goes with #1 (the Pac-Man controllers) hehe :D DoubleDown does great work. I have both the Pac-Man controllers and a 7800 controller.

AX

Picture 1, the Pac-Man & Ms. Pac-Man controllers, were limited editions to celebrate the upcoming release of Pac-Man Collection from OpCode Games (I am in no way affiliated with OpCode, just a fan like the rest of you). Not counting my personal stash, there were 12 complete sets made (with manuals), and 1 Pac-Man solo controller. These will never be made again by me, but I do offer a standard black CV joystick controller upgrade like this:

joystickmodsilveraa8.jpg

These are $45.00 each plus shipping.

Picture 2, the Famicom NTT Modem controller conversion, probably won't be made again either. The donor controllers are very hard to come by as they were never available in the US. A buddy of mine in HK was able to find me one for the project and I currently still own the only one I've made. Not to mention the controller was a major pain in the ass to make, and most people wouldn't pay the kind of money I would want to cover the time involved.

Picture 3, the Jag Pro Pad conversion, is currently an only child, and still in my posession. I do have 2 more donor controllers to make more, but with the rarity and current going rate of these donors, the end product would be in the selling ballpark of $175.00.

Picture 4, the Jag Pad conversion is a popular model with retro-gamers. I've sold about 10 of these or so and the asking price is $105.00. I currently have 1 donor to make one up from, but I also have a good source for plenty more.

Picture 5, the Custom ColecoVision Control Pad, was completely custom (with the exception of the D-pad) and sold to a member here. Like the Famicom NTT Modem controller, a lot of time involved, a high selling price, and probably not to be made again.

Picture 6, was supposed to be this pic, but I grabbed the wrong file for my original post:

colecocontrolpadnewly3.jpg

This my first customized CV controller, and while it offers superior playability versus that of a stock CV controller, without a keypad, I'm not too excited about making any more. This one was sold on ebay for about $100 a whiles back.

So all said, I currently offer the black CV joystick controller upgrade model (other themes like the Pac-Man & Ms. Pac-Man to follow eventually), and the Jag Pad and Jag Pro Pad versions. I've got a few projects to finish up before I'm ready to make/sell any more, but send me a PM if you're interested in a future purchase.

Picture 1, the Pac-Man & Ms. Pac-Man controllers, were limited editions to celebrate the upcoming release of Pac-Man Collection from OpCode Games (I am in no way affiliated with OpCode, just a fan like the rest of you). Not counting my personal stash, there were 12 complete sets made (with manuals), and 1 Pac-Man solo controller. These will never be made again by me, but I do offer a standard black CV joystick controller upgrade like this:

joystickmodsilveraa8.jpg

These are $45.00 each plus shipping.

Picture 2, the Famicom NTT Modem controller conversion, probably won't be made again either. The donor controllers are very hard to come by as they were never available in the US. A buddy of mine in HK was able to find me one for the project and I currently still own the only one I've made. Not to mention the controller was a major pain in the ass to make, and most people wouldn't pay the kind of money I would want to cover the time involved.

Picture 3, the Jag Pro Pad conversion, is currently an only child, and still in my posession. I do have 2 more donor controllers to make more, but with the rarity and current going rate of these donors, the end product would be in the selling ballpark of $175.00.

Picture 4, the Jag Pad conversion is a popular model with retro-gamers. I've sold about 10 of these or so and the asking price is $105.00. I currently have 1 donor to make one up from, but I also have a good source for plenty more.

Picture 5, the Custom ColecoVision Control Pad, was completely custom (with the exception of the D-pad) and sold to a member here. Like the Famicom NTT Modem controller, a lot of time involved, a high selling price, and probably not to be made again.

Picture 6, was supposed to be this pic, but I grabbed the wrong file for my original post:

colecocontrolpadnewly3.jpg

This my first customized CV controller, and while it offers superior playability versus that of a stock CV controller, without a keypad, I'm not too excited about making any more. This one was sold on ebay for about $100 a whiles back.

So all said, I currently offer the black CV joystick controller upgrade model (other themes like the Pac-Man & Ms. Pac-Man to follow eventually), and the Jag Pad and Jag Pro Pad versions. I've got a few projects to finish up before I'm ready to make/sell any more, but send me a PM if you're interested in a future purchase.

Yeah i wasn't interested in the jag conversions and you don't even make any of the others anymore plus the number one at the top is too high for only the simple stick replacement. I guess theres nothing i can use here.

Yeah i wasn't interested in the jag conversions and you don't even make any of the others anymore plus the number one at the top is too high for only the simple stick replacement. I guess theres nothing i can use here.

"Simple" stick replacement!?!

Call it what you like only because I'm not buying? What do you call it then. Its the original colecovision controller with a different stick. Just taller, that's all. I can't pay that much for very little modification. You won't even make any of the other ones as if you were some corporation or something. And over $100 for the others is just outrageous.

Call it what you like only because I'm not buying? What do you call it then. Its the original colecovision controller with a different stick. Just taller, that's all. I can't pay that much for very little modification. You won't even make any of the other ones as if you were some corporation or something. And over $100 for the others is just outrageous.

Just curious, have you ever done a mod of this type? I've done a few for my own personal use and they are very time consuming to build. Particularly if you want it to look clean and not like it came out of a mad scientist's lab.

Mitch

Just curious, have you ever done a mod of this type? I've done a few for my own personal use and they are very time consuming to build. Particularly if you want it to look clean and not like it came out of a mad scientist's lab.

Mitch

No not on these but i am familiar with the time consumption. It's just more than i'd like to pay. Maybe $30 but over $100 i can't imagine. His work is good and I'm not downing him but I figured his time must be worth more than the parts he's using. I also noticed the different cord being used. Looks longer than the phone type cord. Maybe the money is in that. Can't be a lot to the change in the stick itself as the case and keypad are the same as the original. All in all, still great work but out of my price range as far as controllers go. I tend to buy mostly original equipment rather than mods and rebuilds. Most of my money goes into games and system. I end up just using original controllers and when necessary, rebuild them to run like new if needed. Even if i had the money, He doesn't plan on building any more of the ones i was interested in.

There is $11 worth of parts in the "simple" stick replacement controllers, which includes the 6' straight wire cord, and all the parts to make up the joystick (this doesn't even account for tools I purchased over the years, and the chemicals and the solder I use). Then figure the value of the CV controller at $15 minimum, which gives you a parts cost of $26. So for $19 dollars, I'm refurbishing the entire controller which includes the disassembly and cleaning of the housing and all contacts and switches, which are then subsequentally coated with an electrical contact conditioner to prevent future corrosion. It is then re-wired with the 6' cord, and then all of the work for the joystick is performed. Which includes drilling out and tapping the original joystick shaft, and boring out the clearance dome on its underside to accept the screw. Then I have to bore out the extension shaft for its mating to the controller shaft, and once partially assembled, bore out the screw head, then reassemble the whole controller and test. So for the approximate 2 hours of labor, i'd say that $9.50 per hour is pretty cheap.

I could smell the cheapness at the top of this thread, and somehow I knew it would end this way.

Controller mods aren't mass market items that you can get for $20 or $30. They take time, low volume parts, and know-how. They are crafts as much as they are to improve your gaming experience.

Gonzo's service looks like a great deal to me.

As far as good controllers, I suggest the Amiga Powerstick Colecovision version with the keypad. Or a Y-cable that comingles input from two controllers, although you end up with one button functionality without a specialty stick.

SACs are actually terrible for gaming. If your gaming is button intensive, expect a hand crap quicker than you can say Pro-line joystick. And they are a pain in the ass to fix if they have issues. But not as bad as fixing Intellvision 2 controllers, those are the worst by a margin.

• Like 1