IGNORED

"Red Storm Rising" (C-64) Contest Docs Help

RARusk

Some time ago I mentioned that I had participated in a Commodore 64 contest involving the game "Red Storm Rising" that took place twenty years ago. I had taken pictures of some of the stuff I earned from the contest, including the special Battle Disks used, and posted the photos here at AA.

Since then I put together a document that explained the contest and, with the help of my user group, got the Battle Disks uploaded onto the PC (and transferred to my Mac) into .d64 format.

This document was made into a 45 page monster with tons of document scans (adverts, letters, the complete Battle Manual, photos, and one article). This created a 7.8 MB .pdf file. The plan I had was to attach it to a topic here at AtariAge announcing it's arrival. When I looked into doing this a month ago I saw that the maximum size for attachments was 2 MB. However, as I write this I see that the maximum size is now 10 MB (I think). Is this correct? This would simplify things if it is.

As for the Battle Disk images, I am in the process of trying to verify that they work in an emulator environment. I had mentioned this stuff at Digital Press and I gave a copy of the images to a gentleman who works for Gamebase64. However, he hasn't found a decent copy of RSR to try them out on. So I decided to do some verification on my own and downloaded Power64 for my Mac. Even with the ten minute time limit (free trial - you need to register and pay to remove the time limit) this should be enough to do what I wanted to do.

Getting a working copy of RSR is another problem. I found a copy of RSR but it was cracked by a pirate group. While Disc 1 worked good, Disc 2 was bad. But it would see the Battle Disk image at least, it's just that Disc 2 was fragged. I managed to get another copy from another site, but it was the same pirate copy. But Disc 2 worked a little better this time. However, Disc 2 is still unplayable. So now I am hoping to find a decent working copy of RSR to use in this emulator to verify the Battle Discs in an emulation environment before I can officially release them (although, if the gentleman from Gamebase64 manages to verify them before I do, that will work too).

Although I still have the original RSR game discs I can't copy them to my Mac Mini (I don't think anybody has managed to make a USB adapter for a 1541 drive) for use with Power 64.

However, if somebody already has a working copy of RSR with their emulator, I can mail a copy of the Battle Discs for verification help.

Hopefully, soon, I can have all of this stuff out onto the net for fellow retrogamers and fans of RSR to enjoy. I just need to make sure that these Battle Disc images work properly first.