IGNORED

Reintroducing... NetBSD on Atari (TT, Falcon, etc.)

dro$$

I bought a TT030 on eBay last May. (http://atariage.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/www.digitpress.com/eastereggs/t126254.html)

My intent was to get NetBSD (http://www.netbsd.org) up and running on it, which I was able to do. But I found out that the latest version that actually functioned was 1.6.1, released back in 2003. Nevertheless, I documented an install walkthrough here:

http://netbsd-ataritt.wikia.com/wiki/NetBS...the_Atari_TT030

After quite a bit of work from some very dedicated folks on the port-atari mailing list, the latest daily builds of NetBSD 4 and 5 now boot and install! Essentially this means there is once again a modern BSD operating system you can run on your Atari. I encourage you to try it out!

Here's the gist of how to do an install...

1) Backup all your stuff. It's possible to install around AHDI partitions on your drive, but really you don't want to do this.

2) Copy files from ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-5/[latest dir with an atari directory in it]/atari to a local machine. You'll need sysinst.fs.gz and the appropriate kernel (I use netbsd-ATARITT.gz).

3) Gunzip sysinst.fs.gz and netbsd-ATARITT.gz.

4) Format a 1.44mb floppy and use rawrite to write sysinst.fs to it.

5) Boot the TT030 and use loadbsd.ttp with the -b flag to load the appropriate kernel. The kernel won't fit on a floppy so you'll need to drop it on a CD, a HD, or access it via Ghostlink.

6) Follow the steps on my Wiki (http://netbsd-ataritt.wikia.com/wiki/NetBSD_on_the_Atari_TT030) to load the sysinst floppy, then go through the menu system. I install via FTP using a Riebl ethernet card, but you can also install via CD-ROM, etc.

Although my wiki really needs to be updated for 5.0, it should still be a lot of help. I'll be working on updating it in the next few weeks. If you hit an issue doing an install, definitely reach out to the port-atari mailing list (http://www.netbsd.org/mailinglists/#port-atari) for help.

Would this work for a Falcon as well? I would assume so.

It works fine on a Falcon - the main NetBSD/atari developer has a Falcon with CT63 060 board and he tests with and without it :) It should work well with TT accelerators as well.

Right now NetBSD 5 is in beta and just about to ship a release candidate. If you have a spare disk and evening then please do give it a try and report back :)

NetBSD also comes with (pkgsrc) which makes it easy to compile software as well as providing precompiled binaries to download and install (including the latest Apache webserver, SQL databases, php/perl/python etc)

I'm not trying to flame anyone. But seriously, what would you do with a TT/Falcon running BSD? I'm more curious than trying to insult anyone.

What would you do with a TT or Falcon? Fun stuff! I think that such a port could be useful for embedded system developers for systems based on the 68K architecture. You can also run BSD stuff with that, for things that are not available on MiNT yet. Still I imagine that only console stuff would be useful since adding X on an TT/Falcon would almost completely hog the system.

Still I'd really like to see some comparisons between MiNT and NetBSD on execution times etc...

You could do pretty much anything you wanted to in terms of BSD/Linux. My falc has 512MB ram and a 90mghz 68060, so its capable of performing pretty well. Now, as to why you would want to use BSD on a falc, I cant say. I actually prefer to work with native falcon apps and OS's, but it would be cool to be able to boot BSD. If you look at it too closely from a 'why would you want to do that when you could just use a MUCH more powerful PC' aspect, then you'll wind up missing the point. It's not about capability so much as emotion.

Still I imagine that only console stuff would be useful since adding X on an TT/Falcon would almost completely hog the system.

I remember running X11R6 on a sun3/60 (20Mhz 68030 with 24MB of memory) under SunOS 4.1.1. While slow, it was certainly usable. Software always gains features and uses more memory as time goes on, but I would expect the xfce4 to be quite usable on a '060 TT/Falcon.

Still I'd really like to see some comparisons between MiNT and NetBSD on execution times etc...

Now thats an interesting idea. I would expect MiNT to be much faster on the simpler benchmarks, but for the balance to switch back for the larger/more concurrent tests - like apachebench.

Anyone up for running some tests? :)

The best way to get a fair test is to use the same hardware for both systems.

Do we have anyone with MiNT and a spare disk + evening willing to install NetBSD and run the tests head to head?

There are a selection of 'portable' benchmarks at http://pkgsrc.se/benchmarks - it would be interesting to see quite how portable they are - do people run things like hbench, Bonnie++, and hint on MiNT?

Actually, while on the topic of pkgsrc... its a source/binary based packaging system which has been ported to a quite a few operating systems (from http://www.netbsd.org/docs/software/packages.html#platforms -

NetBSD, Solaris, Linux, Darwin (Mac OS X), FreeBSD, OpenBSD, IRIX, BSD/OS, AIX, Interix (Microsoft Windows Services for Unix),

DragonFlyBSD, OSF/1, HP-UX, QNX )

In quite a few cases it acts as a repository for patches to enable support for operating systems when upstream developers are not interested in integrating them

Anyone interested in adding MiNT support to pkgsrc?

I should probably start another thread for that question... pkgsrc support for MiNT topic :)

Edited by abs0

• 3 weeks later...
Let me understand: taking those benchmarks from that website, should I just Configure, Make, Install, and I am set for testing?

Pretty much - I'd be inclined to pick something like LMbench as a good low level microbenchmark, and then maybe

the MySQL benchmark for a higher level 'application' benchmark.

If you want to compare different OSs you really need to have them running on the same hardware for a valid comparison...