IGNORED

Stella 2.7.2 released (DON'T DOWNLOAD version 2.7.1)

stephena

The problem is, this is a slippery slope. Which functions should be disabled? And I'm sure whatever choices I make, someone will say 'but I need that functionality, don't disable it'. :)

You're probably right. I was just thinking out loud and after reading your reply it doesn't seem such a good idea after all.

Hi! Thanks for the update. Haven't found any problem so far and I like the improvements in the GUI! :thumbsup:

I downloaded the new minigame Doris and I was thinking it would be nice if 1k roms could be run without doubling them to 2k.

Maybe Stella could use a single "no bankswitch" format for roms <= 4k:

If the rom is <= 4k and size is a power of 2, then it is mirrored to fill the 4k cart address space.

(if size is 2^n, then it is mirrored 12-n times, because there are 12 address lines to the cart port and the rom only uses 'n' of them). This is what happens with "plain" carts only consisting in a rom chip without added logic, like original 2k games.

A 1k rom would have 10 lines connected and would be mirrored 4 times. Smaller sizes would be theorically possible, if anything useful could be programmed for the 2600 in 512 bytes or less... :D

Hi! Thanks for the update. Haven't found any problem so far and I like the improvements in the GUI! :thumbsup:

I downloaded the new minigame Doris and I was thinking it would be nice if 1k roms could be run without doubling them to 2k.

Maybe Stella could use a single "no bankswitch" format for roms <= 4k:

If the rom is <= 4k and size is a power of 2, then it is mirrored to fill the 4k cart address space.

(if size is 2^n, then it is mirrored 12-n times, because there are 12 address lines to the cart port and the rom only uses 'n' of them). This is what happens with "plain" carts only consisting in a rom chip without added logic, like original 2k games.

A 1k rom would have 10 lines connected and would be mirrored 4 times. Smaller sizes would be theorically possible, if anything useful could be programmed for the 2600 in 512 bytes or less... :D

Sounds like an interesting idea. I'll look into it at some point, but right now I'm working on the TIA HMOVE improvements.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, Stella already does something like that. It can detect if a 4K ROM is actually two 2K banks, and if so, it actually creates an instance of a 2K cart, not a 4K. I suppose it's easy enough to do the opposite; specifically, if it detects a 1K ROM, double it into a 2K one.

Anyway, I have to stop thinking about that for now, as I really have to concentrate on the TIA stuff :P

Edited by stephena

I'm not sure if this is a bug or intended, but when I enter the debugger the entire stack is red. If I go out and back in it is still all red. It's only stops highlighting the entire stack when I do a step, scan, or frame before I leave and then come back.

So even though you viewed the stack and come back in it is still showing everything as being altered.

Hey, I just downloaded and installed Stella 2.7.2 and a complete game pack, and desperately want to play the Pitfall games, but I am having trouble with Pitfall 2. I get the game started fine, but my keyboard controls won't respond and there is no sound or music. The logo is scrolling so nothing is frozen. My renderer is set to software and I have tried with various audio types (even the one labeled 'Pitfall 2'). My controllers work for Pitfall 1, so you can see how I'm a little confused. Help anyone?

Thanks!

Hey, I just downloaded and installed Stella 2.7.2 and a complete game pack, and desperately want to play the Pitfall games, but I am having trouble with Pitfall 2. I get the game started fine, but my keyboard controls won't respond and there is no sound or music. The logo is scrolling so nothing is frozen. My renderer is set to software and I have tried with various audio types (even the one labeled 'Pitfall 2'). My controllers work for Pitfall 1, so you can see how I'm a little confused. Help anyone?

Thanks!

You have to press the Reset key before starting the game, just like on a real system. This is 'F2' in Stella. In general, Stella is designed so you shouldn't have to mess with it; just load up a game and start playing. If you've been playing around with the configuration options, I suggest you delete your 'My Documents\Stella' folder and start again with a fresh install. Other that setting the location for ROMs and snapshots and configuring event mapping for joysticks (and possibly changing to OpenGL mode), most people should never need to tinker with the options.

Edited by stephena