IGNORED

Atari800WinPlus 4.2

UNIXcoffee928

It's in progess. Got it to build under VS 2008 express....which is also a free compiler. DM is in progress...it's a bit more difficult due to a thicket of windows settings that have to be made by hand. Were it up to me, I would probably say we should leave it in VS 2008 express. Thats going to be more forward compatible than DM is likely to be, fine product though it is.

What I was getting at is:

Would anyone like to try to compile Atari800WinPlus 4.0 with the Atari800 2.0.3 sources in:

Atari800\Atari800_platform-independent-src\atari800-2.0.3\src

by selectively replacing the relevant files in:

Atari800Win PLus 4.0.src\Atari800Win PLus 4.0.src\Atari800Src\src

This way we can have the current kernel of Atari800 v.2.03 (or a working subset of it) available in the Atari800WinPlus v. 4.2 release.

UnixC....JUst go with the code base/version that works for you as i am sure that we don't want to wait another 6 months before we see another update

Look, the soundtrack to this source re-formatting project is Slayer's "Reign in Blood" album. Posts concerning the impatience of the townspeople will only be met by me playing the album louder, and will not result in me working any faster... 80 ounces of coffee and Slayer are about as fast as things go.

That being said, put the torches & pitchforks down, be patient, & wait.

OK, got through all of the header files today.

Does someone want to do a test compile for large icon support? (The ones that appear at the lower right side of the emulator window). The standard 16x16 is pretty tiny at today's resolutions.

I've prepared 32x32 and 64x64 replacement icons, you will find them in their respective 16 & 32 folders in the attached file. Just move them into the Res directory & compile (backups of the defaults are in the 16 directory).

I'd like to see if the emulator will display these without any other modification.

Just test it out, and if it works just say so (&/or post a screenshot) for 32x32 & 64 x64, if you have a moment to do so.

If it does work, I'm going to include a NeXTSTEP-like skinned version option in v. 4.2, as well as standard icons in size choices of 16, 32, or 64. Should be a quick thing, and will look nice.

Thanks!

Res.zip

UnixC....JUst go with the code base/version that works for you as i am sure that we don't want to wait another 6 months before we see another update

Look, the soundtrack to this source re-formatting project is Slayer's "Reign in Blood" album. Posts concerning the impatience of the townspeople will only be met by me playing the album louder, and will not result in me working any faster... 80 ounces of coffee and Slayer are about as fast as things go.

Best thrash album ever... 29 minutes of nearly perfect msx... ;) listening to it quite often while coding... esp. when hunting bugs... "I have had only just began to take your f...g life..." ;)

Have you tried The Gallows :D

Just did. Better for skating than hacking, though.

WTF? They get a million dollar contract, meanwhile AOD & the Dayglow Abortions are penniless?!?! Whole lot of Discharge, Killing Joke & Black Flag feeling in there too. I guess that the record companies finally think that it is a safe bet. ha. Fickle bitches that they are... ha.

Better that kids are listening to Gallows than any modern pop/unhip-hopist-bs, though, that's for sure. There's actually a fairly large resurgence in old-school skatepunk going on in OC & coastal LA... seems to be a new generation that's just as sick of their older brothers & sisters music as we were 20-30 years ago. Ha, everything goes in circles!

As far as other newer stuff, Turbonegro is happenin', I'd like to see them live. Euroboy s one badassed guitarist!

Turbonegro: "Do you dig Destruction?"

Euroboy (Knut) solo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QKhovC7MY4...feature=related

L8R

- Code re-formatting for all of the Atari800WinPlus 4.0 header files is now done; next I will be applying a unified commenting form to them, as I have done to all of the files in the "Sources" directory.

- Dan is making progress toward the goal of migrating the code to the Digital Mars C/C++ compiler.

- There will be a special treat in v. 4.2:

Jacobus is preparing a new & enhanced version of "Atari Launcher", which will be included in the 4.2 distribution.

- Anyone get a screenshot of the 32x32 & 64x64 icons in a functional Atari800WinPlus 4.0 window?

L8R

Best thrash album ever... 29 minutes of nearly perfect msx... ;) listening to it quite often while coding... esp. when hunting bugs... "I have had only just began to take your f...g life..." ;)

Reign In Blood is the magnum opus of metal.

- Dan is making progress toward the goal of migrating the code to the Digital Mars C/C++ compiler.

Is this really a good idea? What's the point, VS Express is as free as DM, and we are talking about a program specific for MS Windows.

Most people willing to modify the sources are probably familiar with VS and not with DM. Making a 64-bit version would be much easier with VS (I don't see a 64-bit version of DM). Chances that the next mantainer would want to go back to VS.

And this is coming from a Walter Bright (DM author) fan. I purchased both Zortech and Symantec C++ back when they were current.

All Micro$oft products are viruses.

They have an especially stupid way of doing things over there. All products, whether good or bad, apparently must be made worse by a team of experts before they can be released by Micro$loth.

I have a problem... I need project files for Visual C++ 6.0 in order to build Atari800Win. These are the .dsw & .dsp type project files. The source code that I re-formatted only comes with post 6.0 project files, of the type .sln & .vcproj.

This is a long drawn out story of various Micro$tupid incompatibilities & product dependencies, & lack of forward/backward compatibility, combined with products being discontinued and other typical Micro$hit. I'm not going to relive the agony by going into detail...

& No, I will not install XP. & No, I will not deal with their braindead slow installs that don't work right anyway, while simultaneously downgrading my IDE functionality as it upgrades my version number via "Express", either.... just to load a phreakin set of project files.

"Express" Ha! what a misnomer. Over an hour start to finish to install & attempt to build. Including having to go through a rape-like registration process. & guess what? After it finally gave me a registration code the Code was not considered usable to de-activate the 30 day trial. Audience laughs. Then the program itself is dog-slow. Granted I am running on an older dual Xeon... but for gawdsakes, it's A DUAL XEON...WTF?!!?

Free?! Free what? Pain?

You'll like it, go on try our new FREE PAIN SPECIAL for 30 days...

I will want this time back when I'm laying on my deathbed, most assuredly.

Soooo, as I am not an active proponent of Micro$tupidity, I have zero intention of putting any more money or time into their products. At All.

Don't bother trying to convince me, or try to sell me new hardware, or any of the other nonsense that goes hand in hand with indoctrination into the Micro$lumber. My Windows environment is frozen until it grinds to a halt through complete non-support, then I wave bye-bye permanently. My house is littered with non-MS computers. F*them.

As far as DM... in it's defense, DM installs in less than one minute, does not rigidly enforce a work environment paradigm, and produces faster code.

I have successfully built & executed Atari800WinPlus 3.1 with Visual C++ 6.0.

The problem I have is that the 4.0 source only has project files for post Visual C++ 6.0 compilers (after v. 6.0 they changed the format, to make people buy the new product, apparently).

So, since I have done all of this 4.0 work already, I will have to build my project files by-hand from the 3.1 project files.

You have no idea how much that will suck.

& yes, I tried both "prjconverter.exe" & "Magic VC7ToVC6.exe"... both are the same program, actually. Unfortunately, they are buggy. I fixed their output, and got something, but if was far from being ready to build & execute.

I have no intention of developing anything else for this POS platform, so, no, I see exactly no reason to upgrade. Its all well & good if you are a professional MS programmer, with new gear, and an Officially Sanctioned this year's special Outdo the Joneses Compiler... fine & dandy, in fact, but I have no intention of messing with it. I have always considered Micro$lease to be an (un)necessary evil, anyway.

So, yes, I will produce a working 4.2 version. Yes, you should be able to build forward with it with newer VC++. & yes, I will probably end up so aggravated that I will cause a Distribution split to DM by the time all is said & done.

Then the people that want to hack the code can decide for themselves if they want to jump though hoops of fiery dumbness with Multiple$clerosis Visual products, or just have a fast compiler that works right out of the box with DM.

After that it's pretty much gcc for me, so I'll probably work on an updated Atari800 Linux emulator frontend with a nice gui, with the knowledge that I've gleamed from this little experiment in the world of MS.

END OF MY 2 CENTS

L8R