IGNORED

Can the PS3 play PS1 games?

Good question; I googled it and found this page:

http://gamer.blorge.com/2009/01/24/why-the...play-ps2-games/

...where he says that all iterations of the PS3 can play PS1 games. Can anyone confirm this?

Where I have to question the judgement of the proprietor of that page, is where he says "There is evidence that the latest iteration of the PS3 has all the hooks in place to play PS2 games." I have to highly doubt that statement. Why would they reverse themselves? Buying (again) PS2 games that you already own online and playing them in a proprietary sort of runtime-emulator does not constitute playing PS2 games when you OWN THE DISC and it won't work on the machine. Therein lies the reason they removed the backward compatibility - so you'll buy the games you own from the online Playstation store.

I don't have one and don't currently plan on getting one. If they reinstate the backward compatibility, I would be more interested. I have been a huge Playstation fan for the PS1 and PS2, but most of the games I want are on Xbox360, and you can play old Xbox games ($2) on it and the Xbox Live even works for them.

I will likely get one eventually since it's still really cool. I just hope they cut the price and stop removing features with each subsequent release.

Good question; I googled it and found this page:

http://gamer.blorge.com/2009/01/24/why-the...play-ps2-games/

...where he says that all iterations of the PS3 can play PS1 games. Can anyone confirm this?

Where I have to question the judgement of the proprietor of that page, is where he says "There is evidence that the latest iteration of the PS3 has all the hooks in place to play PS2 games." I have to highly doubt that statement. Why would they reverse themselves? Buying (again) PS2 games that you already own online and playing them in a proprietary sort of runtime-emulator does not constitute playing PS2 games when you OWN THE DISC and it won't work on the machine. Therein lies the reason they removed the backward compatibility - so you'll buy the games you own from the online Playstation store.

I don't have one and don't currently plan on getting one. If they reinstate the backward compatibility, I would be more interested. I have been a huge Playstation fan for the PS1 and PS2, but most of the games I want are on Xbox360, and you can play old Xbox games ($2) on it and the Xbox Live even works for them.

I will likely get one eventually since it's still really cool. I just hope they cut the price and stop removing features with each subsequent release.

1. YES all playstation 3 systems play psone games.

2. If you wanted a PS3 that played ps2 games, you had plenty of time to buy one before they became "rare" ;)

3. You shouldn't base getting a console on if you can play your old games on it. Heck, we're collectors here.. you should have a ps2 anyway, no? :) Also, if you don't, a slim costs about 60 bucks. Or just keep the one you have.

Bottom line, it's a great system.. I really am enjoying it, and STILL haven't gotten to all my games. In fact I'm going to go play right now :). Base getting a ps3 if you like the games, not it's bc. And as far as price.. trust me, I've bought both, you spend less in the long run on a PS3 even though it's more upfront. My 360 Arcade was like a dang money pit with all the accessories I needed to buy :ponder:

My 360 Arcade was like a dang money pit with all the accessories I needed to buy :ponder:

Hu? I have both the PS3 and the 360 and have many arcade titles purchased for each (Around 93 for the 360 and probably a dozen for the PS3). Explain to me what accessories are "needed" as I have yet to encounter them on either system except maybe the camera games of which I can only think of a few on each system (Actually only one on the 360 that actually needs the camera and the game is free). Which games are you talking about specifically that require accessories?

Edited by moycon

My 360 Arcade was like a dang money pit with all the accessories I needed to buy :ponder:

Hu? I have both the PS3 and the 360 and have many arcade titles purchased for each (Around 93 for the 360 and probably a dozen for the PS3). Explain to me what accessories are "needed" as I have yet to encounter them on either system except maybe the camera games of which I can only think of a few on each system (Actually only one on the 360 that actually needs the camera and the game is free). Which games are you talking about specifically that require accessories?

Since he bought the arcade model he had to buy the hard drive seperately since it only came with a tiny memory card. I don't think he is talking about accessories for games.

Thanks for the quick answer about the PS1 compatibility guys!

Who said that I needed them for games?

For my setup (IE: not anywhere near my cable box) I needed a wifi adaptor. I also bought a headset which was more than the bluetooth one I got for my ps3 (as it accepts any bluetooth one). Not to mention, the wifi adaptor and headset both needed replacement after a short amount of time... the speaker on the headset (ms brand) is very soft and you can barely hear it. I'd suggest a 3rd party headset. The wifi adaptors for the 360 (ms brand) are junk. I used to think it was my connection, but I can literally have the 360 and ps3 on side by side, and have severe lag and disconnection issues on call of duty w@w on my 360, and none on my ps3. On top of that I needed to buy the 360 a hdd. I got a used one which still set me back quite a bit, however at least this part worked flawlessly. With the NXE you'll need a hdd of some kind.. especially if you become a gold Live member. That leads me to online, 50 bucks to go online. And last but not least, the charge kit. My 360 controller was sucking batteries bone dry in less than a week of play time. I needed to get a charge kit.

That lower price tag made me get the 360 first, thinking it was the cheaper of the two. I soon realized though that I spent far more money than I originally bargained for to be able to play the system at the same level that the ps3 comes standard out of the box... and I didn't even get a blu ray player with it haha.

Both required an hdmi cord, which was mutual. The hdmi cord, a nice sony white one, was about 40 bucks.

Breakdown for 360 for my uses:

200 for system

100 for wifi

20 headset

100 hdd (120 gig, an old Elite drive. PS3 hdd upgrades are far cheaper for obvious reasons)

40 hdmi

30 charge kit

50 LIVE membership

TOTAL for me at least: apx $540 to get the true xbox experience. This isn't including battery cost and all the times I had to go back and forth to Gamestop because of cheap, broken MS brand parts. This also does not cover the difference in price it took me to buy the nicer headset that was NOT made by MS.

PS3 for my uses:

350 for system

40 hdmi

15 blue tooth headset

Total for me: appx $405. That comes with essentially a free blu ray player

Again, I know the speech you're going to give "you don't need wifi to play, you don't need a charge kit, you dont need..." however, again.. for my uses, I did, and to make it match spec wise with my ps3 (roughly of course.. different hdd size and different optical drives) this is what my spending boiled down to.

I'm selling my 360 to my co-worker. He's giving me his last payment this week, which is when I finally give it over to him. I'm actually making a profit buying the ps3. Nothing against your system of choice.. but you asked about my accessories.. so here ya go.

Edited by DaytonaUSA

Again, I know the speech you're going to give

Actually I think I mis-interpreted what you ment when you posted Xbox Arcade.... I thought you were talking about Xbox Arcade as in the Xbox Arcade marketplace, like you needed accessories to buy and play the Live games. I get it now, you ment the Arcade unit.

The only speech I'd give you is shop around more. You seriously overpaid for that 360. Seriously.

Still the PS3 is a solid system for sure, I didn't know they all played PS1 games.

Edited by moycon

Again, I know the speech you're going to give

Actually I think I mis-interpreted what you ment when you posted Xbox Arcade.... I thought you were talking about Xbox Arcade as in the Xbox Arcade marketplace, like you needed accessories to buy and play the Live games. I get it now, you ment the Arcade unit.

The only speech I'd give you is shop around more. You seriously overpaid for that 360. Seriously.

Still the PS3 is a solid system for sure, I didn't know they all played PS1 games.

Oh sorry about that. Dont you love it when they use the same word for two different things?

And yea lol, Gamestop I think = Overpay city. I didn't know any better unfortunately... ah well.

[2. If you wanted a PS3 that played ps2 games, you had plenty of time to buy one before they became "rare" ;)

Well, yeah - there was time. But I wasn't (nor shall I ever be) ready to pay $600 for a game console. Evidently I'm not the only one who feels this way.

3. You shouldn't base getting a console on if you can play your old games on it. Heck, we're collectors here.. you should have a ps2 anyway, no? :) Also, if you don't, a slim costs about 60 bucks. Or just keep the one you have.

You should base getting a new console on as many factors as you can. Why shouldn't playing old games be a factor; we're collectors here. Obviously, playing the PS2 games without having another system/controllers/etc cluttering the living room is why. I keep all the systems, but can't have them all hooked up all the time.

I never bought the slim. $60? Come on. Still $130 last time I looked; I've been waiting for $99, but my old one never died. Looks like the new ones have the power supply built in, but no price cut (yet).

Bottom line, it's a great system.. I really am enjoying it, and STILL haven't gotten to all my games. In fact I'm going to go play right now :). Base getting a ps3 if you like the games, not it's bc. And as far as price.. trust me, I've bought both, you spend less in the long run on a PS3 even though it's more upfront. My 360 Arcade was like a dang money pit with all the accessories I needed to buy :ponder:

Don't get me wrong; I still want one because it's cool, the PS controllers are my favorite, and I end up getting all the systems every time anyway. I'm surprised I don't need a PS3 to play GTA 4, Ace Combat 6, Soul Calibur 4, Virtua Fighter 5. I'm thinking I'd have one by now if I did. A "real" completed Gran Turismo 5 would have been an incentive, but Forza 2 is $20. At least they have vibrating controllers again!

[2. If you wanted a PS3 that played ps2 games, you had plenty of time to buy one before they became "rare" ;)

Well, yeah - there was time. But I wasn't (nor shall I ever be) ready to pay $600 for a game console. Evidently I'm not the only one who feels this way.

You should base getting a new console on as many factors as you can. Why shouldn't playing old games be a factor; we're collectors here. Obviously, playing the PS2 games without having another system/controllers/etc cluttering the living room is why. I keep all the systems, but can't have them all hooked up all the time.

I never bought the slim. $60? Come on. Still $130 last time I looked; I've been waiting for $99, but my old one never died. Looks like the new ones have the power supply built in, but no price cut (yet).

Don't get me wrong; I still want one because it's cool, the PS controllers are my favorite, and I end up getting all the systems every time anyway. I'm surprised I don't need a PS3 to play GTA 4, Ace Combat 6, Soul Calibur 4, Virtua Fighter 5. I'm thinking I'd have one by now if I did. A "real" completed Gran Turismo 5 would have been an incentive, but Forza 2 is $20. At least they have vibrating controllers again!

1. There was time to buy it before it became rare while it was cheaper than $600. Obviously people waited.. hell I did. I'd never spend that much on a system.. ever. Sad to think that 350 for mine was "cheap", but .. hey, it's my favorite system so far, so I guess it was worth it all.

2. Yes BC is a factor that should be considered. I never said I didn't consider it. However, when it really comes down to it.. while BC is always something you said you'll use, 95% or more of the time you're using it purely for the new games. I thought I'd play GC games on my Wii when I got it, and I think I've played a GC game twice since I had my Wii since launch.. that's it. It's a nice feature, but it's the new games I care about, not the ones I already own.

3. Uh yea.. 60. Go to a used game store sometime. It's what they're running most of the time.

It's a very good system. And actually I'm addicted to Gran Turismo right now. True it's not the full game, but my god it is gorgeous and it controls like a dream. It's the first GT game I've played where I actually felt like I was going the speed it said I was going. I was really impressed (especially after being kinda ho hum about 4).

Anywho, you can list all the negatives you can till the cows come home. It's a fun system at the end of the day, and you're missing out if it's not apart of your collection.

PS: The new L2 R2 triggers that mimic the dreamcast type of feel is a very welcome addition. Just change your control setup in GT5 so that accelerating and braking use these. I never liked the old "press sensitive buttons" on the ps2. I could never do that well on the few games that used it. GT5 is much better when you use the new triggers instead of the press sensitive face buttons.

Edited by DaytonaUSA

1. There was time to buy it before it became rare while it was cheaper than $600. Obviously people waited..

This was one time I was glad I didn't drag my feet. Actually I had bought both a Wii and a PS3 the holiday season they launched. I lucked out on the PS3 and had to buy a $500+ bundle to get the Wii. Folks that year were paying inflated prices for both. I decided to sell the PS3 use the profits to pay for some of the Wii bundle and the rest of the $$$ to re-buy a PS3. So in July 2007 when I heard the PS3 was going to stop being 100% compatible, and at the time Amazon was offering like 6 free Blu-Ray movies and a free media remote at $499.99 it was a no-brainer, snagged a 60 Gig before they sold out.