IGNORED

How to remove yellowing from an old Atari case

mimo

Phew! Just finished Retr0brighting an Atari 400 I bought off eBay, this machine was DIRTY....Bought it as untested/non-working, turns out to work great and even has 48k!:cool:

Really pleased with the way this one has turned out....

post-24505-0-41095300-1303998792_thumb.jpg

post-24505-0-76796500-1303998820_thumb.jpg

Edited by beamer320i
  • Like 2

Looks fantastic! What method did you use?

stevem

I use creme peroxide, 12%-40 volume, has worked for me every time without fail so far! All I do is thoroughly clean the cases first with a mild detergent/medium bristle brush to get the dirt out of the crevices, then I apply the peroxide thinly but evenly with an inch wide paintbrush. I then leave it in the sunlight,keeping an eye on it so as not to dry out (15-30 minutes, depending on sunlight/temperature) I then wipe off the peroxide (or you can wash it off with water) and then re-apply.

To get the above effect took me four treatments, I then sprayed a cloth with Armorall semi-matt protectant and lightly wiped it to help protect it again.

There are different methods, etc. but this one works for me. All myy main hardware was Retr0brighted 12 months ago, and has not started to yellow again (yet!)

Edited by beamer320i

It looks as if blooming is directly related to uneven application of the cream. The thicker the cream, the less UV penetration for the reaction. Cream blobs seem to have a lensing effect. I'm going to try this technique, but use of a foam roller is recommended. The "Cream Hydrogen Peroxide" is definitely a genius breakthrough, but nobody thought to consider a paint 'application' technique? I'm sure this has been documented in detail, and I just missed the information. Hopefully, this is the last variable in the equation for a successful retr0brite :)

Also, I'm aware that obtaining suitable UV light equipment may be expensive to some. The most abundant source of free UV is, of course, the sun. Unfortuantely, obtaining proper UV saturation from all angles might become a problem. I recommend purchasing aluminized mylar to create a large semi-parabolic UV reflector. A large box or basket will suffice for a frame, and the mylar does not have to be perfect. The key is to diffuse the light - the more wrinkles, the better. Placing the item to be retr0brited inside the mylar 'basket' will insure maximum effectiveness of the peroxide cream.

Small%20Roller.JPG

I just move the thing round every 30 minutes or so then it all gets some UV.

The blooming is not due to the thickness of the aplication, but rather the drying out of the gel. Best solution is to wrap in cling film to stop it drying out.

Went RetroBrite crazy this week, after a search through the cupboards revealed a couple of 800XLs which looked worse for wear:

post-21964-0-37219500-1305465724_thumb.jpg

This one was a dirty yellow when I started (no before pic, sadly), and the upper half of the case was lying keyboardless and badgeless in a box in the spare bedroom. The bottom half of the case was elsewhere, with a working Rev 1 motherboard in it.

post-21964-0-07362100-1305465722_thumb.jpg

Treatment took about a day in total. I manufactured a keyboard from two faulty ones of the same type, one of which came from a non-working 600XL.

This one was a dirty yellow when I started (no before pic, sadly), and the upper half of the case was lying keyboardless and badgeless in a box in the spare bedroom. The bottom half of the case was elsewhere, with a working Rev 1 motherboard in it.

Treatment took about a day in total. I manufactured a keyboard from two faulty ones of the same type, one of which came from a non-working 600XL.

Ah Franken-XL! It's alive, ALIVE!!!

:D

Edited by spookt

Went RetroBrite crazy this week, after a search through the cupboards revealed a couple of 800XLs which looked worse for wear:

post-21964-0-37219500-1305465724_thumb.jpg

post-21964-0-07362100-1305465722_thumb.jpg

Looks good, what retrobite did you use?

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a restoration of a stock 65XE that I recently did for you all the see :)

This 65XE was the blackest and dirtiest machine that I ever purchased from anyone through eBay but it has to be said that it is also now one of the nicest machines that I have seen too. ;)

Inside the case were crumbs and bits of mini cheddars that managed to creep inside, there was hard toffee literally stuck onto the case that was a pain to get off and many of the keys were dicoloured. Pen marks and general dirt had been covering the beautiful grey colour of the case for what appeared to be a very long time. Also, a large amount of dog hair managed to creep inside and sit ontop of the motherboard along with dust etc. The packaging that the seller sent the Atari to me in was disgraceful. They packaged my Atari up in 2 used takaway pizza boxes with bits of cheese and pepperoni and a large amount of grease stuck to the bottom. The package had been in transit for almost a week so the pizza boxes must have been at least 8 days old. Shocking stuff.

Anyway, hope you all like the pictures ;)

Rachel

post-28818-0-93905800-1308171513_thumb.jpg

post-28818-0-71519200-1308171531_thumb.jpg

post-28818-0-78760600-1308171548_thumb.jpg

post-28818-0-68465700-1308171565_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rachel-Emma

Here is a restoration of a stock 65XE that I recently did for you all the see :)

This 65XE was the blackest and dirtiest machine that I ever purchased from anyone through eBay but it has to be said that it is also now one of the nicest machines that I have seen too. ;)

Inside the case were crumbs and bits of mini cheddars that managed to creep inside, there was hard toffee literally stuck onto the case that was a pain to get off and many of the keys were dicoloured. Pen marks and general dirt had been covering the beautiful grey colour of the case for what appeared to be a very long time. Also, a large amount of dog hair managed to creep inside and sit ontop of the motherboard along with dust etc. The packaging that the seller sent the Atari to me in was disgraceful. They packaged my Atari up in 2 used takaway pizza boxes with bits of cheese and pepperoni and a large amount of grease stuck to the bottom. The package had been in transit for almost a week so the pizza boxes must have been at least 8 days old. Shocking stuff.

Anyway, hope you all like the pictures ;)

Rachel

Nice job!

• 2 months later...