IGNORED

1027 worth keeping?

kurtm

And yet my well made well maintained 1027 printer is still working, and for the record, I have 5 epsons that had piezo failures, 4 hp inkjets that had ribbon cable failures, 3 hp with optic failure and 3 dot matrix printers have pin failure (when the pin either fractures and/or the attached wire snapped). LOL btw daisy wheels do wear out. I had to buy them in ten packs! Ribbons I re-inked till they also wore out. Drums, fusers as well as their pads & lasers all wore out, Yet all I ever needed for my 1027 was a toothbrush, oil, ink, and some foam rollers. The rubber stamping pad does not get oiled, they are on a plastic drum wheel which may need oil in a few specific spots. The drum moves as a unit.

I stand by a product that has stood by me. Some may not like the speed or noise it makes, But I suspect they never had to run a blue line in before deadline.

The 1027 is junk.. The print heads do fall apart.. Its a set of rubber belts that have the characters attached.. What do you expect after 25 years? Yes it was a cheap letter-quality printer back in the day.. Yes it accomplished its purpose back then.. And yes there have been made hundreds of models of vastly superior letter quality printers that work from a standard parallel interface(thus working fine with the ATARI) and employ daisy-wheel or other style print mechanisms that wont dry-rot and fall apart with age.. They also use ink ribbons (which you can still buy from any commerical office suplier)instead of some crap foam pad.. They are also much faster than the 1027...

The 1027's plastic case was well made.. The PCB and electrical components were well made as well... The print mechanism was a very cheap asian-junk design by comparisson to ANYTHING that you could call a "well built" machine.

An that's the damn truth....

I have a 92 GEO metro that has 340,000 miles on it, which I drive on a daily basis with no problems whatsoever... And I've had all kinds of engine failures, transmission failures, etc. with numerous other vehicles which were much better built.... Yes, you CAN "polish a terd".....

Your 1027 is not "well built" by any standard... And if you think it is, you are a fool.

Case well made/pcb /and electrical well made(your own words). My car had a tire blow out so now it's all junk(belt wore out). Also, who is a fool? but the fool who calls him a fool? Insanity is repeating the same behavior over and over again expecting a different result...

I have more than one 1027. I have more than one Atari system. It all works. Yet all the 'better built' stuff I have owned to make employ and friends happy has 'ALL' died.. what is truly the better built machine?

I still stand by a product that has outlasted all those 'superior' products. Just like I stand by a person who always has my back. Time tested. Simple as that.

It doesnt "outlast" other letter quality printers on the basis of actual pages printed.. Yours may have lasted you years.. And Im not debating that.. You also missed my point with the car analogy... I was sayoing that a much better built product can have failures, and a very poorly built product can last forever with a little luck, and under excellent maintenance conditions.. The junkyards are full of Geo metros.. Ive had good luck with mine, and taken good care of it.. It still works for me... But I wouldnt make the completely assanine statement that it is a "well built car" by any standard of comparisson.. It's cheap junk..

I also noticed that none of the other printers you have compared it to are impact LQ printers... Ink-jets, Lazers, and Dot matrix printers work completely different than an impact-LQ printer, and thus have completeley different failure points.. Its like comparing an airplane to a helicopter...

The print mechanism on a 1027 is made of junk folded sheetmetal.. The platen and head slide-bar are tiny compared to actual business-quality LQ printers, the print head is a rubber stamp like the one the librarian used to stamp dates on library cards.. heh.. Its junk compared to a real LQ printer, no matter how you compare it.. Im glad youve had excellent luck with it...

Edited by MEtalGuy66

How about I just give you sio connectors?

if that was all you needed. I have a handful.

Are you in the U S A?

Hmm, this all said, any of you want my 1027 after I remove the SIO connectors from it?

Its got other good parts in it too.. Theres a really nice solid state bridge rectifier, and several voltage regulators and op-amps bolted to nice aluminum heatsinks... The guys who did the PCB-end of it really outdid themselves for a printer that uses such cheap junk, mechanically...

The epson lq series dot matrix and panasonic lq impact printers were the ones with the fractured pins and wires.

the lq stood for.... Letter Quality. The 1027 looked better, took up far less space and was faster than the printer on my History teachers cpm based machine, it was also a lot less expensive. His used daisy wheels like they were going out of style, which they eventually did!

Good thing I quoted directly, while I can't edit things an hour later like some people. At least it's a part of the record original post 1:54 and edit at 2:41pm! Clever! Brilliant! It is indeed awesome to see history re-written in real time without a TARDIS.

_The Doctor__

p.s.

We all make mistakes I try to admit to mine perhaps I should have stated both 8 and 24 pin LQ ... Epson, Panasonic, and Toshiba dot matrix printers. I did not think the matter required such degrees of detail. Honestly IMHO splitting hairs is a tedious unsatisfying hobby.

Good thing I quoted directly, while I can't edit things an hour later like some people. At least it's a part of the record original post 1:54 and edit at 2:41pm! Clever! Brilliant! It is indeed awesome to see history re-written in real time without a TARDIS.

The only thing I edited was the part where I called you a fool, which I'll more than happily retract... But I seriously think you've watched a few too many episodes of Dr. Who.

The 1027 is absolute garbageby comparisson to ANYTHING Epson, Toshiba, IBM, or any major printer manufacturer EVER had the balls to off-load on the public.. theres no comparisson.. This argument is rediculous..

Listening to all this tripe, it is hard to believe some of these people like or support the Atari at all. You never know if they are friend or foe. One minute agree next minute verbal enemy. And always the destroy it. It is trash deal. At the time compared to what existed and for the price it was a rock solid printer. And for whatever reason what I own has lasted, same as the other people that I know. Maybe our user group cared for and fed the equipment differently. Maybe it is the geographic location. Only once have I run into a dead 1027... and it was the fuse in the power supply transformer block that was blown. No we did not throw it away we replaced the fuse. I would rather upgrade a 1200XL to XE and PBI standards than trash a 130XE and a 1200XL to make 130xe mod box out of the now empty 1200xl case, I would rather create than destroy. What moron suggests destroying 1200XL's and recasing 130XE's in them? I can't understand why it always has to be such contradiction. I mean were you the one making the PBI ECI mod. I thought you were. and yet what is the next thing I read. Why go thru all the trouble just toss the 1200xl mobo out and put a 130XE in the case, In another thread... I think you can be your own worst enemy. Is there anything Atari ICD Supra etc.did that met your standards. You strike me as someone who has knowledge of many things, but your temperment causes you trouble. Maybe you think you are smarter than the guys were at Atari, maybe you think you are smarter than guys were at ICD or at the FCC. Hindsight is always perfect vision. With the benefit of seeing all that has happened.

You can COPY them and improve on what THEY created...

Yet I feel like I am dealing with an upset teenager when talking with you. You have little or no respect for the old timers or experiences other than your own. Just look how you treated another old time 'hacker' in recent months. Memory expansion was the topic. You could have thanked him instead you did your normal and then later played nice. I myself did not like the memory overlap. Yet way back when we all worked together and better memory upgrades came from the original design. All based on his work! I for one am indebted to Claus. And am glad to have know someone like him! He made the Atari world a better place. And is a decent person on top of that!

is it dry rot or foam clumping up the head? or did the rubber stamp pad fall apart. I have a trusty tooth brush and have rescued a few 1027's by cleaning the nasty foam roller bits and gluey ink paper sludge from the stamper. Did those 6 1027's get donated to you in that condition. I can't imagine buying 6 in a row and watching them all die like that. The rubber is only held on by a couple of screws and a plastic retainer. I wonder if replacement rubber can be found or duplicated.

I wonder if I can send a good tread in to one of those rubber stamp making places like the ones we have made for us at work for the ink pad stampers.

Listening to all this tripe, it is hard to believe some of these people like or support the Atari at all. You never know if they are friend or foe. One minute agree next minute verbal enemy. And always the destroy it. It is trash deal. At the time compared to what existed and for the price it was a rock solid printer. And for whatever reason what I own has lasted, same as the other people that I know. Maybe our user group cared for and fed the equipment differently. Maybe it is the geographic location. Only once have I run into a dead 1027... and it was the fuse in the power supply transformer block that was blown. No we did not throw it away we replaced the fuse. I would rather upgrade a 1200XL to XE and PBI standards than trash a 130XE and a 1200XL to make 130xe mod box out of the now empty 1200xl case, I would rather create than destroy. What moron suggests destroying 1200XL's and recasing 130XE's in them? I can't understand why it always has to be such contradiction. I mean were you the one making the PBI ECI mod. I thought you were. and yet what is the next thing I read. Why go thru all the trouble just toss the 1200xl mobo out and put a 130XE in the case, In another thread... I think you can be your own worst enemy. Is there anything Atari ICD Supra etc.did that met your standards. You strike me as someone who has knowledge of many things, but your temperment causes you trouble. Maybe you think you are smarter than the guys were at Atari, maybe you think you are smarter than guys were at ICD or at the FCC. Hindsight is always perfect vision. With the benefit of seeing all that has happened.

You can COPY them and improve on what THEY created...

Yet I feel like I am dealing with an upset teenager when talking with you. You have little or no respect for the old timers or experiences other than your own. Just look how you treated another old time 'hacker' in recent months. Memory expansion was the topic. You could have thanked him instead you did your normal and then later played nice. I myself did not like the memory overlap. Yet way back when we all worked together and better memory upgrades came from the original design. All based on his work! I for one am indebted to Claus. And am glad to have know someone like him! He made the Atari world a better place. And is a decent person on top of that!

you got me totally confused with someone else.. I never got at odds with claus..

The 1027 is still junk, no matter how many ways you want to discuss it.

Your "theories" about what RF shields will and wont influence are hilarious..

And I never claimed that anything I've criticized comes from anything other than hindsight.. But I talk about things in the sense of the truth, not swayed by some emotional atatchment to some piece of equipment..

And I make relevent responses to other peoples posts after actually reading them and considering what they said, unlike yourself...

And compared to you, I guess I am a teenager... But Ive got alot firmer grip on reality than you do where the topics weve been debating are concerned.

The 1027 is junk.. Dr. Who sucks.. And you are a fool..

is it dry rot or foam clumping up the head? or did the rubber stamp pad fall apart. I have a trusty tooth brush and have rescued a few 1027's by cleaning the nasty foam roller bits and gluey ink paper sludge from the stamper. Did those 6 1027's get donated to you in that condition. I can't imagine buying 6 in a row and watching them all die like that. The rubber is only held on by a couple of screws and a plastic retainer. I wonder if replacement rubber can be found or duplicated.

I wonder if I can send a good tread in to one of those rubber stamp making places like the ones we have made for us at work for the ink pad stampers.

The reason the print heads disintegrate is because if you soak any type of rubber in ink and let it sit for 20+ years, it's going to deteriorate..

tantrums again? name calling again? more than one person does not agree with you about shielding? opinions again instead of facts? sorry to say rf shielding did indeed block get this.... radio frequencies from interfering with the electronics and video of the computers.

In the sense of truth? is that sort of like the truth? I am sorry you can not appreciate something well cared for still being in service. The truth is anything after 20 years of continual service may break down. The fact that it hasn't says volumes.

You don't like Doctor Who and think it s*cks? You think many people are fools... and those are opinions.

I also notice you did not state one positive thing.... yet again

ClausB handled you effectively, he was the one who said you asked for an opinion, he gave it and did not mean to offend anyone and wished you good luck with it and moved on.... why do you think that was? Again testament to a really good guy!

You come off as an angry person, is it part of the metal guy act... or are you really just that hard to get along with?

Most people I have hung with who listen to metal are mellow good folk who enjoy a beer and good tunes. Every once in a while we had to toss a mean drunk *ss wannabe out....

Iron Maiden.... Somewhere in time..... now there is an album!

tantrums again? name calling again? more than one person does not agree with you about shielding? opinions again instead of facts? sorry to say rf shielding did indeed block get this.... radio frequencies from interfering with the electronics and video of the computers.

My very first cotention was that the shield could influence the quality of the video.. But if you think it's causing (or preventing)I/O errors, you are mistaken. There are hundreds of people using 130xes without shields that are perfectly stable.. If yours has errors without the shield, youve got another problem.. It's not RF/EMI causing the errors. Maybe a groundign issue with something? 130xes are notorious for piss-poor solder joints all over the place.. who knows..

In the sense of truth? is that sort of like the truth? I am sorry you can not appreciate something well cared for still being in service. The truth is anything after 20 years of continual service may break down. The fact that it hasn't says volumes.

Which is what I said.. Remember the car analogy? excellent maintenance can make the worst design last forever, and even the best designs have occasional failures..

You don't like Doctor Who and think it s*cks? You think many people are fools... and those are opinions.

Yeah I have alwayse found the Doctor Who series pretty gay... But if i had to pick the LEAST Gay of all the Doctor Who's, I'd say the brown haired guy with the massive perm and long scarf.. He was at least interesting..

I also notice you did not state one positive thing.... yet again

Did you expect anything positive, in response to what you said?

ClausB handled you effectively, he was the one who said you asked for an opinion, he gave it and did not mean to offend anyone and wished you good luck with it and moved on.... why do you think that was? Again testament to a really good guy!

You really should read that whole thread before you comment.. We were discussing a memory upgrade that I was designing at the time that had nothing to do with Claus's work.. He was making suggestions that, while perfectly plausible from a functional standpoint, were going the opposit direction of the specific purpose for which the upgrade was being designed.. I dont know why he felt it necessary to say "he didnt mean to offend".. Perhapse a misunderstanding on his part. Noone involved in the discussion, least of all me, was offended.. I had asked for input regarding the design I was working on..

You come off as an angry person, is it part of the metal guy act... or are you really just that hard to get along with?

maybe Im not angry.. Maybe Im amuzed, and you just take it as an attack.. But that would be kinda kewl if it was part of the "Metalguy Act". hahah..

Maybe I'll work on that..

Most people I have hung with who listen to metal are mellow good folk who enjoy a beer and good tunes. Every once in a while we had to toss a mean drunk *ss wannabe out....

Pfft. Whatever.. Beer is for lard asses.. In fact alchohol is for losers.. Why on earth would you want to embalm yourself with that crap..

Iron Maiden.... Somewhere in time..... now there is an album!

Indeed.. Kewl cover art too..

Dude.. In all seriousness.. maybe I do sometimes present myself in an offensive way to those who I should be "explaining to" and "helping" rather than ridiculing.. But you also have to realize that in all fairness, I do admit when I'm wrong... And I wont "argue something into the ground" unless I know I'm right.. Its much easier to just say 'Thats my oppinion' and leave it at that.. I've lost my share of debates on here, and "bowed out" and admitted it, once I realized I was in error. And I value the people who "corrected" my ignorance... I've "schooled" a few people in my time, but "been schooled" by quite a few more.. Thats the nature of life.. You can take it as offensive, or not.. Maybe Im more offensive than some.. But there are plenty of guys that make me look like a saint too...

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Jeez Metalguy, I picture you driving a 70s muscle car, but a Geo Metro?!?

Metro:

post-2472-1233716263.jpg

Better:

post-2472-1233716279_thumb.jpg

Yeah that mach-I sure is sexy.. If i could afford what those go for now, and the gas it drinks on top of it, I'd damn sure have one.. I used to hate ford because their designs were "cumbersome" to work on.. But in the last few years, I really like what theyve done.. The SVT COBRA was a good start.. Then the New Body Style Mustang (which is impossible not to like), the Ford GT (holy crap I'd amputate all of my genetalia whithout a second thought if it meant I could own one), and now that BOSS 427...It literally shakes the ground.. completely stock! If the "big 3" do go bankrupt... I will say one thing.. At least Ford will have "gone out with a bang"..

To be fair, the Challenger R/T is an awesome ride too. Anyone who hasnt checked out the Dodge website and watched the videos, should do so immediately.

Actually that's an AMC Javelin.. my father had one for awhile, and I think it's one mean looking car. Probably a rip-off of the Ford Mustang Mach I though (they look amazing similiar.) I'm not a huge car fanatic, but I like the older style of car. All the new, aerodynamic designs are boring as hell.

Actually that's an AMC Javelin.. my father had one for awhile, and I think it's one mean looking car. Probably a rip-off of the Ford Mustang Mach I though (they look amazing similiar.) I'm not a huge car fanatic, but I like the older style of car. All the new, aerodynamic designs are boring as hell.

Damn.. I alwayse do that.. Yeah you hardly ever see/hear about the old AMCs any more..

Jeez Metalguy, I picture you driving a 70s muscle car, but a Geo Metro?!?

Metro:

post-2472-1233716263.jpg

Better:

post-2472-1233716279_thumb.jpg

Aw man, I used to have a '70 javelin, big monster V8, dark blue. I always looked at it as what it a corvette stingray and a ford mustang hand an illicit love child....

Yeah I have alwayse found the Doctor Who series pretty gay... But if i had to pick the LEAST Gay of all the Doctor Who's, I'd say the brown haired guy with the massive perm and long scarf.. He was at least interesting..

Tom Baker, Definitely the best Doctor. Too bad the BBC budget was so pathetic back then.