IGNORED

Atari 7800 HSC reloaded Round 10 "Beef Drop"

darthkur

Just now, I got 82000 on my first man, but had a 3 hour drive so I stopped and took off to Austin. The trick is to get all the enemies to follow you. Once they are only behind you, scoring is easy.

I don't think I ever got that high without losing a life, that's really good.

I call getting the enemies to follow you "herding", once in a while I get 4 or more of them in a group(easier on the higher levels, just because there are so many of them), but usually I end up getting two or three. I once ended level 1 with almost 25,000 points. That one I managed to herd all four enemies into a single group and dropped them quite a few times. I'd really like to buy this game as it is a lot of fun.

I call getting the enemies to follow you "herding", once in a while I get 4 or more of them in a group(easier on the higher levels, just because there are so many of them), but usually I end up getting two or three. I once ended level 1 with almost 25,000 points. That one I managed to herd all four enemies into a single group and dropped them quite a few times. I'd really like to buy this game as it is a lot of fun.

I try to get as close to 40000 on the first level as I possibly can. I can herd them into 2 or 3 after the 4th dropped piece. If all 4 herd together, then the first level is extremely easy. I can do this for screen 1 and somewhat on screen 2 because I get a lot of practice. After those 2 levels, I burn through peppers and lives pretty quick. The high score I posted ended on 3rd screen. I play differently if I am going to try to get to the highest level possible. The 82000 1 man run I had I made a few mistakes and used about 3 or 4 too many peppers.

This is how someone should practice. Play 'Child' or 'Easy' level on the 1st screen and just watch the enemies as you attempt to herd them. They are only consistent when they go up/down or diagonally. Going left/right after you, they have a logic that makes them break from the herd inconsistently. This level should allow you to learn that behavior, avoid it or try to control them. Learn the technique to herd them as quickly as possible and using the least amount of slices. This will help with scoring.

When you go back to the normal level, you can see the enemy react the same but only faster.

I need a modified version so I can just practice on the screen I want instead of having to play through a few screens. That would also help since I sometimes start a level with 0 peppers and that is definitely no fun. I would not be able to practice that level properly since without peppers you have to watch out for being trapped and therefore change your playing style.

As for buying, BeefDrop was the first homebrew I bought. I got it because I remembered how fun the Intellivision version was. Playing on emulators was not doing for me. I had just going AA and missed out on the 1st CC2 batch also. Once I got my hands on a CC2, BD demo was the 1st thing I put on it. I bought BD because Ken promised a rom for those with a CC2 so we did not have to swap out carts. Also, I wanted the one with the POKEY chip. I did not want to find out what BeefDrop VE sounds like. Although, Ken did leave the POKEY logic for those with Xboard(built-in POKEY). I also wanted to reward Ken for making such an awesome game. I like it more than my beloved Intellivision version.

BTW, its great you can get your kid excited on this game. I remember how much fun it was to play with family when I was young.

Edited by Almost Rice

I try to get as close to 40000 on the first level as I possibly can. I can herd them into 2 or 3 after the 4th dropped piece. If all 4 herd together, then the first level is extremely easy. I can do this for screen 1 and somewhat on screen 2 because I get a lot of practice.

That is awesome, I have been trying to do exactly that, but do not get anywhere near that many points per level. However, I have been able to get 20k+ on level 5, that one is built for big scoring.

This is how someone should practice. Play 'Child' or 'Easy' level on the 1st screen and just watch the enemies as you attempt to herd them. They are only consistent when they go up/down or diagonally. Going left/right after you, they have a logic that makes them break from the herd inconsistently. This level should allow you to learn that behavior, avoid it or try to control them. Learn the technique to herd them as quickly as possible and using the least amount of slices. This will help with scoring. When you go back to the normal level, you can see the enemy react the same but only faster.

I've noticed the up/down left/right differences too. I still have a habit of getting a good group of 3 enemies together, and then crossing the board in a way to split them up : (

I need a modified version so I can just practice on the screen I want instead of having to play through a few screens. That would also help since I sometimes start a level with 0 peppers and that is definitely no fun. I would not be able to practice that level properly since without peppers you have to watch out for being trapped and therefore change your playing style.
I'd love that for all games. I was especially wishing for it in Donkey Kong Jr.

42,600, for the participation point. I might play it a little more but I don't know.

No dis to kenfused--his programming is exemplary, but this is just not my type of game. I didn't like Burger Time on the 2600 much, either.

The thing that helps me make burgers is to try and drop parts when Pete's enemies are going to fall with them. That drops the part several floors and makes burger building easy.

Did a little better...54,250. I dunno if I prefer the normal or VE cart. I find in some games I play better with less music. For now, I'll stick to the normal cart.

OK, a few more points. 61,400.

Edited by shadow460

65,800. They really should have made it so the pepper is refilled when you lose a life. I'm talking about from the git go...the arcade should have been that way.

EDIT: Finally got past that sixth level. The key was to keep squishing enemies to keep them out of the way. I did have to sacrifice a couple of lives. It's better to lose a life sometimes than to try and pepper your way out of a jam (see above).

Score: 80,050

I am using a standard Pokey cart. I haven't tried switching to my VE cart to see if less music helps out.

Edited by shadow460