IGNORED

Atari 5200 HSC Round 39 *Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom*

darthkur

118124206582.jpg

s_BuckRogers_2.png

You are Buck Rogers, savior of mankind and all around swell guy. You find yourself, yet again, put to the test, fighting the forces of evil on the legendary Planet of Zoom. You thought Ming the Merciless was bad, well these guys are not intending to give you a break whatsoever. You'll have to run the gauntlet of electrified and armed electron posts, skirmish with hordes of alien saucers and space hoppers. Then you must blast into outer space to face more dreaded saucers and finally the massive Mother Ship. Will you remain the hero of the universe and paragon of morality and virtue or will you let mankind down? It's all up to you.

Emulators are fine as is whatever controller you feel the most comfortable with. Screenshots are great but not mandatory.

Settings:Level 1 (Blue). (default)

Contest ends on: 2-16-09 at 1:00am EST.

Final High Scores:

1st: bohoki - 237,973

2nd: Cafeman - 179,391

3rd: darthkur - 125,851

4th: LaserHawk - 124,145

5th: doctorclu - 106,077

6th: roadrunner - 78,170

7th: BydoEmpire - 26,983

Final Standings for Season 1:

1st - darthkur (147) (4)

2nd - Doctorclu (134) (4)

3rd - Cafeman (68) (2)

4th - Bydoempire (57)

5th - Mike5200 (56)

6th - bohoki (54) (2)

7th - Laserhawk (47) (2)

7th - Shannon (47)

8th - Atari5200 (38) (1)

9th - phuzaxeman (22) (2)

10th - chuckwalla (21)

11th - midnight8 (13)

12th - Hex6500 (10)

12th - Lord Thag (10)

12th - midnight magicman (10)

12th - shadow460 (10)

13th - Phantom (9)

14th - JetSet ( 8 )

15th - RXD (7)

16th - roadrunner (6)

17th - Goochman (4)

Numbers in RED are accumulated points. Numbers in BLUE are number of rounds won.

Link to the official manual: Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom Manual

Edited by darthkur

wow finally a game that allows my home made joystick to shine

DCP_6915.jpg

and that was just my first game

them freakin white squid things keep kamikazing into me

wow just tried this arcade version and wow it whipped my ass hard

its so different the 5200 is really lame just 3 levels of planetary pillar run and then a space run

the arcade goes trench,space,then pillar level

and the space level with the mother ship is cool cause you have to blast off each of the 4 engines and they come flying at you

buck0001.png

buck0003.png

buck0000.png

buck0002.png

so once again a home version that is just a shell of its arcade glory

geez what did they do just steal beamriders background and star treks level screens

Edited by bohoki

179,391. I played on Atari800win.

I have never really liked this version of Buck Rogers. It is choppy, colorless and pretty much without strategy. Just shoot and don't hit stuff. Also, there is no reason to fly low - it uses up more fuel and makes you much more vulnerable to ships flying past you. Except for level 1 where for some reason you get points for flying low, always fly at the top height. Don't feel you have to fly inside all the posts either - the level quota is hit by posts OR by shooting ships, so its not worth risking a collision by flying crazy and trying to get inside posts. I laughed at the description of the mother ship in the game manual - it is hardly difficult to kill it.

I do think the game looks better on the real system than on an emulator though.

post-37-1234152098_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cafeman

When's the new season of the 5200 HSC start?

This coming Monday we start glorious and wonderful ( I hope :D ) second season. So on the 16th everyone's accumulated scores are reset at zero.

Is the new season of 5200 HSC going to have the same 2-week duration and biweekly vote-for-next game setup?

When's the new season of the 5200 HSC start?

This coming Monday we start glorious and wonderful ( I hope :D ) second season. So on the 16th everyone's accumulated scores are reset at zero.

Is the new season of 5200 HSC going to have the same 2-week duration and biweekly vote-for-next game setup?

Of coarse. I heartily believe in the old adage "if it's not broke then don't fix it". ;)

wow it turns into a real shipstorm after level 3 it took me like 37 games to get this score i think it may be easier on the 5200 than the emulator but i like my game pad and autofire

buck.png

it was really weird once i died on i think level 4.2 and while i was still dying it ended the level with still a few saucers left