IGNORED

Games That Require 128K Or Greater?

Tempest

I've asked and asked and so far no reply :( (Although I'm not a member of ABBUC - I have bought their products in the past though)
Yea I gave up asking for it too without a reply?

I bought one a couple of years ago direct from Wolfram (MegaHZ) and it is waiting for my 1200XL to arrive for somewhere to live.

For some reason I could not get it to work in my 600XL, hope the mod is not faulty.

I also inquired to buy one or two more, but never any reply :(

To be fair I should point out that I did get a reply from Bernd who told me that although it was he who designed the upgrade I should speak to MegaHz about purchasing one. Even though Bernd forwarded my email on and I also emailed MegaHz direct I didn't get a reply, so I'm assuming that at this moment Wolfram is not producing this upgrade.

Shame really as I'd have bought a couple at least.

Edited by spookt

Wow, I somehow figured it would be more than that. Well, I suppose that there will be more in the future so getting a memory upgrade still isn't a bad idea. I'll have to look into the links everyone gave me.

Sorry about mentioning Hobgoblin, somehow I thought I read that it took more than 128K. My mistake.

Tempest

It is very usefull, if your extension is switchable between CompyShop (full ANTIC acces, like 130XE) and Rambo (no ANTIC access for extra RAM) to have the most compatibility.

I thought the main difference was the way the original 64K was mapped. Some upgrades give you banks that include the original 64K (like 256K, 512K upgrades) and some give you banks in addition to the original 64K (320K, 576K).

What is there that uses Antic banking? All I know of is a couple Atari demos.

Yep,

until 2007 there were only two programs that required separate Antic access: 1) Video Blitz, a demo by Helvetica Bold (there is almost the same demo by TeBe which does not require sep. Antic!) and 2) The [sparta DOS] Wedge, a kind of file-manager by Ed Bachmann (there are other filemanagers for Sparta, which do not require sep. Antic). So, there was not much in the past which made it a "must" to have sep. Antic access...

In 2008 a new emulator for the A8 (running on the A8!), namely the Apple II emulator appeared and this one also requires 128k RAM and separate Antic access in order to work. I am not sure if there already exists a newer version (without the need for sep. Antic access), but some guys in poland are "converting" Apple II programs for this emu. Maybe sooner or later we have dozens of programs from the Apple II running o nthe A8 under emulation. But afaik, the first release of this apple emu had only one or two programs that came with it...

Besides, Compyshop ramdisks allow sep. Antic access - but it is not built-in afaik, one has to add it manually. The RAM enhancement by mega-hz (developed by Bernd Herale! sold by mega-hz/Wolfram Fischer) allows the use of switches to switch between these configurations: a) only 64k base RAM, XRAM off, b) 320k Compyshop (blocks 26AE), c) 320k Rambo/Newell (blocks 8ACE) and d) 576k (blocks 02468ACE). I did not use a switch, as I did all the years before, since I have not found any program working on 64k but not working on a bigger machine. Next, all programs that require 26AE XRAM types or 8ACE XRAM types or up to 576k RAM will also work without any switches, they just use/choose the banks they require (and in most demos where you find a mem.-config.-table you just have to press RETURN and do not need to setup anything)...

On the other hand, with this memory enhancement built-in without any switches, I can no longer test which programs use which kind of XRAM type (since I have both 26AE and 8ACE with this enhancement available), the only programs which will not run are the 1MB demos (afaik less than five available, including the tip animations) and the 1MB - 16 MB MyIDE movies (which are best viewed with a harddisk or flash device anyway)...

-Andreas Koch.