IGNORED

SDrive NUXX

c0nsumer

Can someone please explain to me how this differs from the SIO2SD ? I'd like to order one of these, but I already own the SIO2SD.

The SDrive is a simpler (hardware-wise) device. No LCD.

The SIO2SD does have some advantages: The LCD. Configuration utility is onboard (it's on the SD card for the SDrive). It saves and loads it's config to the SD card.

The SDrive NUXX has a nice clean board layout and comes with custom end panels for use with an enclosure. So no bare board hanging out. It's something this community usually does without. (As early as the black box, we've been doing without cases on expansion hardware).

Also, the SDrive software and firmware has source code available for free use. And configuration happens via SIO commands to the device. (I don't know that this isn't possible with SIO2SD, I just don't see specs about it). So some of the restrictions of the current device can be overcome by the community once we write utilities to support it.

Really, if you have an SIO2SD already, unless you want to try out the SDrive NUXX, there is no need to get one, you've got something that covers the main reason for the hardware. I think the board and case designs are really nice on the SDrive NUXX (but then, I've been watching c0nsumer develop this project, so I won't say I'm not biased).

That help?

:D Awesome sense of humor!

Are the board panel and chip kits going to be limited to one run?

I haven't even gotten my first A8 in the mail yet, so I'm not sure I'm ready for this!

Maybe in a couple months I'll be ready, but I don't want to miss out!

Heh. Thanks. Someone noticed it. ;)

Yes, as of right now I'm only planning one run. Of course, should this be a wildly successful product it'd be unwise of me to not do a second, but at this time sale rates are meeting my expectations and I only anticipate doing the first one.

In other words, it'd probably be best for you to order set(s) now if you actually want to get them. While I will be releasing the PCB CAD data after the project is complete, there's definitely economics of scale in play here. Better known as, getting a one-off (or so) later will probably cost a lot more.

Really, if you have an SIO2SD already, unless you want to try out the SDrive NUXX, there is no need to get one, you've got something that covers the main reason for the hardware. I think the board and case designs are really nice on the SDrive NUXX (but then, I've been watching c0nsumer develop this project, so I won't say I'm not biased).

That help?

Yes. Thanks for the info. You're right about the case though, I sure wish I could put my SIO2SD inside a nice enclosure. Kinda vulnerable with all the components exposed.

Yes. Thanks for the info. You're right about the case though, I sure wish I could put my SIO2SD inside a nice enclosure. Kinda vulnerable with all the components exposed.

That right there is the primary reason why I did the SDrive NUXX. The SDrive itself is outstanding, but I really, really like having a nice case and a very finished, reproducable product. So, I took the SDrive and adapted it into the SDrive NUXX.

To give you a bit of insight, the PCB is the size it is because of the case I chose. This was the smallest case in which I could fit all readily available components in a nice line along the front edge. The vast majority of the SDrive NUXXs cost comes from the PCB, case, and end panels which each support this goal.

I could have done a smaller PCB which wasn't sized for a case and nice fit and finish, but then would have looked more like a dev board. Just like what you've observed about the SIO2SD.

Hey, I don't know if you've got your PCB house lined up yet, but I recently found out about the Propaganda service that Seeed Studios is doing for open source hardware projects -- $30 gets you five boards as long as your designs are released in an open-source compatible license like Creative Commons SA. I'm going to use it for an Arduino shield I'm working on. I've ordered a few products from them and I like their service. Details on this deal are at http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/propagand...orks-p-111.html.

Hey, I don't know if you've got your PCB house lined up yet, but I recently found out about the Propaganda service that Seeed Studios is doing for open source hardware projects -- $30 gets you five boards as long as your designs are released in an open-source compatible license like Creative Commons SA. I'm going to use it for an Arduino shield I'm working on. I've ordered a few products from them and I like their service. Details on this deal are at http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/propagand...orks-p-111.html.

Thanks, I didn't actually know they were doing it. That said, I do have a board house already selected; the same place that did the prototype run. (The proto run was also my test of them...)

I actually just ordered some stuff from seeed_studio earlier this week; jumper wires for the Atmel Dragon programmer acquired to help with this project. I'll have photos of it on nuxx.net/blog sometime later this evening.

IMG_3371.jpg

So, a little something special showed up today: a bunch more SIO connectors.

Therefore, I'm now able to reopen orders for the assembled and tested SDrive NUXXs, with tested 2GB SD cards, for US$150. This price includes shipping within the US. International orders will incur an additional US$7 postage.

If you would like to order one of these assembled SDrive NUXXs or any of the related parts, please visit the SDrive NUXX Ordering Page. Note that I've added a new entry for completed SDrive NUXXs as I have enough SIO connectors to fill a few days worth of orders. This also means no more manual invoicing, for the time being.

Edited by c0nsumer

Where did you find those? They look like new.

They are new, but not NOS (New, Old Stock). They just happened to show up in my mailbox yesterday. ;)

For obvious reasons I won't yet mention where all of these parts came from, but I can tell you that if you need SIO connectors they available from both B&C ComputerVisions and Best Electronics.

Hey everyone... I just wanted to say that my server is currently down, and because of that I won't be getting email until it's back up. Additionally, the ordering page, images, SDrive NUXX page, and everything related to it are currently unavailable.

I'm really hoping this will be back up soon, but at this point I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong (power outage, servers issues, network problems...).

Hey everyone... I just wanted to say that my server is currently down, and because of that I won't be getting email until it's back up. Additionally, the ordering page, images, SDrive NUXX page, and everything related to it are currently unavailable.

I'm really hoping this will be back up soon, but at this point I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong (power outage, servers issues, network problems...).

Back to normal. :)

(I just didn't want anyone to think that I took orders then vanished...)

Just as a reminder to everyone, there's only ONE WEEK left to order SDrive NUXX PCB and Panel sets, kits, and completed devices. After 04-April-2009 I'll be closing the ordering window. After this point I'll begin ordering parts for assembling the orders, per the schedule listed previously.

To place an order for any of the aforementioned parts, please visit the SDrive NUXX Ordering Page.

Thanks very much!

Edited by c0nsumer

One more reminder... Only 2.5 days left to order SDrive NUXXs and parts. I plan on closing the window at the end of the day Michigan time (UMT-4) Friday, 03-April-2009.

Can't wait!! Only thing I need is a source for those elusive SIO connectors.

Stephen Anderson

Hey everyone... Just as one final reminder, the ordering window for SDrive NUXX parts and assembled units will be closing at midnight tonight, Eastern Daylight Time. That's just about 23 hours from when I make this post. So, not to put too much pressure on you, but if you're wanting some parts, now's the time to get your orders in at the SDrive NUXX Order Page.

Thanks again!

Edited by c0nsumer

IMG_3440.jpg

Here's a photo of the parts for kits and assembled SDrive NUXXs, except for the PCBs and metal end panels. Supposedly the PCBs will ship on the 16th (or so) and the metal panels sometime around the 27th.

Also, C.P.U. (Robert Petružela (Bob!k) & Radek Štěrba (Raster)) have made a couple changes to the SDrive, including a new version of the control program. Please be assured that these changes will be reflected in the assembled SDrive NUXXs which some of you have ordered.

Oh, and yes, that is a belt made of SD connectors.

Edited by c0nsumer

Also, C.P.U. (Robert Petružela (Bob!k) & Radek Štěrba (Raster)) have made a couple changes to the SDrive, including a new version of the control program. Please be assured that these changes will be reflected in the assembled SDrive NUXXs which some of you have ordered.

These changes don't affect the kits at all??

Nope. It's only the control software that changed (well, and they added the brownout fuses, which c0nsumer had already picked up).

The new control software just does more with the existing SIO protocol stuff. If you look at that document, there is a *lot* of power in the SDrive design.

As kurtm said, no. The only thing I'm going to have to do is re-image all the SD cards, as the SDRIVE.ATR file (and the stuff it contains) was updated. This will just take an hour or three of running batch jobs again. ;) Oh, and I have to do a few documentation updates...

The schematic, parts list, all of that has remained the same.

Edited by c0nsumer

Can't wait!!! I'll have more than enough ways to run my Atari hardware here soon. (SDrive NUXX, UltraSatan, SkunkBoard)

Same here. Add VBXE to that list and this will be my best Aari year in the 27 years I've been using it!

Stephen Anderson