IGNORED

I'm through with the Xbox

Tickled_Pink

Actually, more noise comes out of the DVD drive than will ever come out of the HDD. And if the disc is a little off balance, forget it. But that's not oing to be affected by the chipset in the system, just the disc drive and what disc you have in it.

Actually, more noise comes out of the DVD drive than will ever come out of the HDD.

Yeah, that's what he said:

The noise comes from the disc drive spinning, which is probably something no store display 360 has ever even used since its just running stuff off the hard drive.

I thought I read that you can put a game on the hard drive (if you have a hard drive). If that's true, then I hope that means you can play without the loud noise.

I have a Jasper and no harddrive, and it's still as loud as a rocket launch. The day I found out mine was supposed to be one of the quieter ones I told my wife and she said "Bullshit. If that's a quiet one you wouldn't be able to hear the game over the other ones."

Mine are all pretty quiet now. It may be because I had a couple of the original units and those were as loud as a rocket launch. No lie i drilled a hole behind my entertainment center and into a bathroom in my bonus room and kept my old 360 unit on a raised pedestal in the half bath so we didn't have to hear it when playing an HD DVD. These days, same room different Jasper 360 unit, I have it sitting right in the entertainment center and can't hardly hear it. Still have a small hole in the wall to remind me how noisy they used to be. Not sure why yours is making so much noise now though.

Edited by moycon

Actually, more noise comes out of the DVD drive than will ever come out of the HDD.

Yeah, that's what he said:

The noise comes from the disc drive spinning, which is probably something no store display 360 has ever even used since its just running stuff off the hard drive.

I thought I read that you can put a game on the hard drive (if you have a hard drive). If that's true, then I hope that means you can play without the loud noise.

It's true, I keep 4 or 5 games I'm going back to often on my hard drive. Solves the noise problems and saves some wear and tear on the disc drive. It only spins the game for a second upon startup to verify you have the disc in the drive, then it plays it directly off the hard drive. Also has the benefit of speeding up load times slightly.

I scratched one of my game DVDs and the game would therefore lockup sometimes. I put the game on the hard drive and now it works flawlessly. The downside is the game takes up 6-7 gb on my hard drive. I had the 13gb (20) hard drive so I went ahead and bought the 120 gb drive.

It's true, I keep 4 or 5 games I'm going back to often on my hard drive. Solves the noise problems and saves some wear and tear on the disc drive. It only spins the game for a second upon startup to verify you have the disc in the drive, then it plays it directly off the hard drive. Also has the benefit of speeding up load times slightly.

Thanks. I better get one with a big hard drive then if I can, just in case I end up with a loud one.

I have a Jasper and no harddrive, and it's still as loud as a rocket launch. The day I found out mine was supposed to be one of the quieter ones I told my wife and she said "Bullshit. If that's a quiet one you wouldn't be able to hear the game over the other ones."

Mine are all pretty quiet now. It may be because I had a couple of the original units and those were as loud as a rocket launch. No lie i drilled a hole behind my entertainment center and into a bathroom in my bonus room and kept my old 360 unit on a raised pedestal in the half bath so we didn't have to hear it when playing an HD DVD. These days, same room different Jasper 360 unit, I have it sitting right in the entertainment center and can't hardly hear it. Still have a small hole in the wall to remind me how noisy they used to be. Not sure why yours is making so much noise now though.

Perhaps it is different expectations? Me and my wife are used to the Gamecube and Wii, so perhaps even a quiet 360 seems loud? In any case, mine sure doesn't seem quiet to me. Don't get me wrong though, it's not unbearable or anything (it would have to be very, very, very loud to get me to turn my 360 off, being that this is my favorite system since 1989.

Edited by Atarifever

Perhaps it is different expectations? Me and my wife are used to the Gamecube and Wii, so perhaps even a quiet 360 seems loud?

Yes that might be it.

There is no doubt the 360 (even now) is loud when compared to other game systems.

It's only quiet when compared to the earlier 360's. :cool:

Ever see somebody make a throw away comment that on second thought seems sort of stupid but they feel the need to defend to the death? Nah me neither....

No, you're right, Christian, I see you do this all the time.

I have no idea what that has to do with this thread, though.