IGNORED

Motor Psycho is great!

Atarifever

I have yet to see a positive review for this game, and now I have no idea why. I got it with Water Ski and Commando, and right after Xenophobe, Ball Blazer, and Choplifter. Then my 7800 broke before I could play them. I've been waiting for the new system to come, and now that I have it, I figured I'd be knee deep in either aliens or enemy soldiers by now, but, although I like those other games, I can't quit playing Motor Psycho.

I had been led to believe it was like Hang-On with a broken jump and ramp system. It's not that at all. It's Pole Position 2, with a great jump system, obstacles, and hills! It's incredible. My assumption is that people want a game where you can jump all the time, hitting every ramp is a great idea, and the game feeds you candy while you play.

You don't jump every hill or every ramp. You jump the ones you can jump safely (there are one or two hills in every stage) to improve your score and to pass people easily. You also can use jump in a pinch to leap over pylons or even road signs if you're going off-road by mistake. Some ramps are more like obstacles than a help, and I don't see why it should be otherwise. Everyone complains you can't jump everywhere or jump every ramp, but there are tons of games with set-ups like that. You can't hit the nitro all the time in other games, but wait for a good straightaway. You can't also go on high gear in Excitebike, or you overheat. This is no different. If used correctly, the jump mechanic is just fine. If used all track long, it's like hitting Nitro randomly: you crash and die.

This game is one of the best I've played on the 7800.

• Like 2

I like it, but the one thing that really slows the game down is when i crash. I lose at least 10 seconds waiting for the handle bar to stop flying around. And my bike has 2 tires, but when i crash it looks like there's 4 tires flying around. If i crash into a sign on the side of the road i lose less time for some reason. I never made it past lap 1 on track 4. I completed all 5 laps on track 1.

Motor Psycho is also one of the few 7800 games to make use of the difficulty switches. Plug in a controller into the right jack to set your response time. It makes it easier to make turns setting the times to 25 and 12.

I thing Motor Psycho doesn't have is a pre race qualify like Pole Postion 2 has. Instead the starting spot on the grid is random.

I like it, but the one thing that really slows the game down is when i crash. I lose at least 10 seconds waiting for the handle bar to stop flying around. And my bike has 2 tires, but when i crash it looks like there's 4 tires flying around.

Press the right button to skip the explosion stuff (like waiting for handle bars). It's basically a skippable cut scene. Lots of reviewers seem to have this problem. Even Vinnie complained about this in his review. I don't know why. I skipped it the first time I turned the game on. There are only two buttons to try after all.

You get four tires if you hit a bike and not a sign (as there are two bikes in the crash, there are two tires per bike).

Edited by Atarifever

I like it, but the one thing that really slows the game down is when i crash. I lose at least 10 seconds waiting for the handle bar to stop flying around. And my bike has 2 tires, but when i crash it looks like there's 4 tires flying around.

Press the right button to skip the explosion stuff (like waiting for handle bars). It's basically a skippable cut scene. Lots of reviewers seem to have this problem. Even Vinnie complained about this in his review. I don't know why. I skipped it the first time I turned the game on. There are only two buttons to try after all.

You get four tires if you hit a bike and not a sign (as there are two bikes in the crash, there are two tires per bike).

For some reason i've always watched the explosion. Never thought to press the right button.

If 2 tires are from the other bike, where's the other handle bar at?

Edited by roadrunner

Must be an acquired taste. I played it to review it, and found it slow and not that much fun to play. Back in the day it might have been ok, but I still think Mach Rider blows it away (and that one almost makes my worst of NES list). To each his own though, I know I like tons of games that everyone else dumps on.

Tempest

If 2 tires are from the other bike, where's the other handle bar at?

The better question is, where are the bodies? :)

Kinda like in mortal kombat when you do a fatality or brutality and there is enough body parts to outfit about 5 people...even from the robots...lol..

• 1 month later...

Today i played Motor Psycho for the first time in at least 5 weeks. In one of my previous posts i said there was 1 handle bar flying around

after a crash with another bike. Well today i crashed a whole bunch of times into another bike and most of the time there are 2 handle bars

flying around after a crash. But sometimes there was only 1 handle bar when i crashed into another bike. I wonder why that is?

Motor Psycho was one of the reasons for me to buy the 7800 back in 1990. The only thing I can´t stand is the fact that you do explode... it´s the same with pole position 2... I don´t like that. In my opinion both games were much better if you´d just slowdown (at least when you hit another vehicle). Beside that I like it very much and do often play it!

• 2 months later...
Motor Psycho was one of the reasons for me to buy the 7800 back in 1990. The only thing I can´t stand is the fact that you do explode... it´s the same with pole position 2... I don´t like that. In my opinion both games were much better if you´d just slowdown (at least when you hit another vehicle). Beside that I like it very much and do often play it!

Actually, the fact that you DO explode is a favorite playing point to me.

Absofreakingloutely Love the game ;)

• 5 years later...

I love that you love it but me personally found it unplayable and damn it i have tried, the acceleration against handling is all wrong and just causes you to crawl if you are to stay on track, it feels like it a few months away from being finished to me.

I will try again tonight out of curiosity.

Must be an acquired taste. I played it to review it, and found it slow and not that much fun to play. Back in the day it might have been ok, but I still think Mach Rider blows it away (and that one almost makes my worst of NES list). To each his own though, I know I like tons of games that everyone else dumps on.

Tempest

It is an acquired taste. I first played it for the high score club years ago. At first I didn't like the game too much, but by the time the round had ended I enjoyed it quite a bit. Of course you have to learn to control your bike properly and try to find places to jump safely.

Play Road Rash once for the genesis and you won't want to touch Moto Psycho with a 10 foot stick ever again. It's decent for the 7800 but let's be honest it's a mediocre racing game in all respects. My favorite part of Moto psycho is the box art (very rad) and my appreciation for it ends there.

• 3 weeks later...

Felt like nearly the same game as Pole Position II...

I tend to agree to a point. I think a good analogy for it is Motor Psycho is to Pole Position II as Jr. Pac-Man is to Pac-Man.

It does add some elements (For better or worse depending on perspective), and is a more difficult game to play, much less forgiving. I do enjoy it, in a similar way I enjoy playing Jr. Pac-Man too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig2k2GEdF70

• Like 1

I bought 3 brand new sealed copies of Motor Psycho about 2 years ago for $15.00 from a friend. I totally forgot about the game since. I really bought them to add to my collection of 7800 games.This thread has sparked my interest. I'm going to open one up and try tonight!