IGNORED

$2 ebay laptop running IOS2PC v1.18

Mark Wolfe

So a few weeks ago I won an auction for $2. It is a 365x Thinkpad. It came with a pretty cool laptop bag with padded pocket, an pcmcia ethernet card and after a bit of fussing I got it online with no issue other than it is painfully sluggish due to only 40mb of ram.

anyway, I tried to get APE 3.02 running but I kept getting a oleaut32.dll error and even when I downloaded the dll it still got the same error so I tried the DOS only version which is fine actually and runs on top of windows 95 no problem and I got the ios2pc cable connected and working and I loaded a few games and they ran ok on my stock 800XL.

The problem is, it seems about every other game will not load or run correctly. I downloaded them from http://atarigame.cjb.net/

Even a game like river raid would not run, yet larger games would, but then a two disk game, would not run, although I only tried one so far. I am certain my cable is good and I of course jiggled it and made sure the green led lit up nice and bright and is connected securely.

Now I am a total newbie to all this and now that I have a convenient way to load games, I mean I figure my little thinkpad is not much larger than the original 5.25 floppy drives anyway, I want to really use my Atari 800XL a lot more to play games and maybe run some music applications.

Is there something I am missing with all this? I figured game compatibility would be much much higher. Did I get them from the wrong source? I am downloading from a few other FTP sources now, once collection called the 'Holmes CD" which seems to be 3 huge folders of anything Atari related imaginable.

I'd appreciate any advice from the experts out there who have been doing this longer than I have.

So a few weeks ago I won an auction for $2. It is a 365x Thinkpad. It came with a pretty cool laptop bag with padded pocket, an pcmcia ethernet card and after a bit of fussing I got it online with no issue other than it is painfully sluggish due to only 40mb of ram.

anyway, I tried to get APE 3.02 running but I kept getting a oleaut32.dll error and even when I downloaded the dll it still got the same error so I tried the DOS only version which is fine actually and runs on top of windows 95 no problem and I got the ios2pc cable connected and working and I loaded a few games and they ran ok on my stock 800XL.

The problem is, it seems about every other game will not load or run correctly. I downloaded them from http://atarigame.cjb.net/

Even a game like river raid would not run, yet larger games would, but then a two disk game, would not run, although I only tried one so far. I am certain my cable is good and I of course jiggled it and made sure the green led lit up nice and bright and is connected securely.

Now I am a total newbie to all this and now that I have a convenient way to load games, I mean I figure my little thinkpad is not much larger than the original 5.25 floppy drives anyway, I want to really use my Atari 800XL a lot more to play games and maybe run some music applications.

Is there something I am missing with all this? I figured game compatibility would be much much higher. Did I get them from the wrong source? I am downloading from a few other FTP sources now, once collection called the 'Holmes CD" which seems to be 3 huge folders of anything Atari related imaginable.

I'd appreciate any advice from the experts out there who have been doing this longer than I have.

If they are boot disk type games, try holding option down when booting if you have not done so.

thank you, I just realized this earlier this evening, that did help a great deal. How do I tell if a disk is a "boot type" disk?

any thoughts on how to get APE 3.0.2 running on win95? this troublesome dll issue is kicking my ass. there does seem to be an older version of the oleaut32.dll in the windows system folder however I can not seem to replace it because it is "in use" . how can I get around this?

ape should work with 95, did you try starting in safe mode and then installing?

no, what would be the benefit of doing that? I thought safe mode actually reduced the ability to make adjustments.

would I need to uninstall first before i did that? any idea where the ape 3xx installer puts files other than in the programs folder?

safe mode does not load all the drivers therefore the file might not be locked in use and can be overwritten.

you're a genius, thank you, that did allow me to replace the old dll and pop in the new one and then ape 3 loaded and configured fine and is a LOT more compatible. the games that did not load with the DOS version, are loading now

awesome!

I guess I'm going to have to go give atarimax some money for this now.

I love this $2 laptop!!

thanks so much

Glad to help!

:) I love when things work out! Now if I could only get stuff for 2 dollars I too would feel like a KING! :cool:

I still have hope!

i totally lucked out but I had been watching old laptop auctions for a long time, like over the last year. I needed one that was working and had a parallel and serial port for my gameboy backup units and for ios2pc because using those on my desktop pc in my office just was not working out and my mac laptop of course can not handle that shit... so anyway, it was all due to diligence and patience and the ebay auction search subscription function, where it emails you daily searches

this auction was just one of those badly timed auctions where no one was paying attention or wanted it. the shipping was about $14 but I won the auction for $2 and was ready to go as high as $20. I always wait until the last 60 seconds to bid and I just happened to win

the floppy is dead but it has a perfectly fine pcmcia slot and I have a ton of compact flash and other memory cards with pcmcia readers so loading data on to it is no problem

the only thing I want to do is upgrade the ram to a 64mb chip so it isn't so sluggish. finding the right edo sodimm ain't so easy either. I will wind up spending more on that than the computer + the shipping most likely