IGNORED

HELP! atari 800xl help needed to set it up...

peachey88

I just cant get it to work, can someone please send me a step by step guide ?? im a stupid blonde and i all i wanna do is play bounty bob!

i dont know what order i have to turn part on or if i need a floppy disc for bounty bob or just the cartridge.. i think i only have the cartridge but its possible theres an unlabelled disc that would work it...

and i know theres some sort of order you have to do things, like pressing start and options or sumthing? HELP PLEASE

xoxo :)

Edited by peachey88

I just cant get it to work, can someone please send me a step by step guide ?? im a stupid blonde and i all i wanna do is play bounty bob!

i dont know what order i have to turn part on or if i need a floppy disc for bounty bob or just the cartridge.. i think i only have the cartridge but its possible theres an unlabelled disc that would work it...

and i know theres some sort of order you have to do things, like pressing start and options or sumthing? HELP PLEASE

can you confirm that the computer is working? how do you have it hooked up, describe your setup... when booted you should see a blue screen with "READY" at the top left. you can also power on while holding the "OPTION" button to run all the internal tests, use 'SELECT" to scroll down and then go ahead and make sure it passes all the tests.

then report back here and I am positive someone here can help you.

You should just be able to plug in the cartridge, plug a joystick in, and turn the machine on, in that order. You need to have it hooked up to a T.V. or monitor, of course, too. Can you be more specific about what's happening, ( or not happening ).

You also might want to change your font back to normal color and size.

can you confirm that the computer is working? how do you have it hooked up, describe your setup... when booted you should see a blue screen with "READY" at the top left. you can also power on while holding the "OPTION" button to run all the internal tests, use 'SELECT" to scroll down and then go ahead and make sure it passes all the tests.

then report back here and I am positive someone here can help you.

heey! well, i have the tv, the disc drive and the cartridge bit. and then i think i put the cartdrige in, then turn on everything then press start and option.. and then a blue screen comes up when i put it on AV channel.. but theres no writing on it. Thaaannnks soooo much xoxo

Edited by peachey88

heey! well, i have the tv, the disc drive and the cartridge bit. and then i think i put the cartdrige in, then turn on everything then press start and option.. and then a blue screen comes up when i put it on AV channel.. but theres no writing on it. Thaaannnks soooo much xoxo

:cool:

Try tuning the Monitor to channels 3 or 4, depending on which setting is set on the Atari.

If the game is on the cartridge you shouldn't need to press anything. Holding start and option tells the computer you want to boot from cassette with BASIC turned off. Plug the cart in (you probably don't need the disk drive on) and turn on the computer.

I think the key here is trying to figure out if the computer is working even before trying to boot the cartridge so leave the disk drive and cart out of it for the time being and just concentrate on booting the 800xl and seeing the "READY" basic prompt in the upper left hand corner.

RF is a pain in the butt and a dirty way to view it . a shame you don't have the a/v cable. they can be had on ebay for as little as $5 but you really need to figure out if the 800xl is working before you spend any money and time on this.

do what rdea6 said and fiddle between the ch 3 + 4 and make sure the rf adaptor and cable are not screwy. turn on the unit and do NOT hold down option or anything. make sure you are connected to the cable connector on the back of the TV, the COAXIAL plug and NOT any a/v inputs. some people make the mistake of plugging the RCA jack RF into the a/v which will give you no picture. you need an RF switch box or one of those cool rca to coax adaptors, also available on ebay or from radio shack.

if it is really a blank blue screen then there is a problem and you need your 800xl fixed or replaced. luckily they are quite cheap.

Edited by Mark_Wolfe

Well the OP got a blue screen with no writing on. Sounds exactly like a machine waiting for "return" to start a cassette boot. However I agree, if you can boot without disk drives, cartridges or anything else and tell us what you see that would be a good starting point. Don't hold any keys at boot time either.

Well the OP got a blue screen with no writing on. Sounds exactly like a machine waiting for "return" to start a cassette boot. However I agree, if you can boot without disk drives, cartridges or anything else and tell us what you see that would be a good starting point. Don't hold any keys at boot time either.

exactly, and then she should hold option while booting and run the self tests just to be sure everything is cool

THEN you can go ahead and plug that cartridge in and play the game. I don't think Bounty Bob needs a disk drive right? or is that for game saves?

IT WORKS! YAAAAAAAAAAAAY! :cool: i feel adequately stupid :P :D

wow! you lot are incredible! you know so much.. ;)

i followed what you sed, with the set up and checked all the cables were in the right places i had made a mistake! and i got it on channel 3 after some flicking and i told the monitor to search and auto install programmes.. and it was finding something just the ppicture wasnt quite there.

i had to turn on the 800xl on i didnt press any buttons. which gave me the blue screen but with 'ready'.

so it was working. so i tried again from the beginning.

then turned on the disc drive.. and xl with the cartridge already in and the picture came up on chanel 3!! AMAZING! i am happily playing bounty bob and not getting past level two! HAHAH !

thanx everyone! you've fixed it! i appreciate your time and efforts ..THANK YOOOOU XOXO

:lust: :) :) :) :love: