IGNORED

No criminals want to steal my Lynx

graywest

One unexpected benefit of being a classic gamer is that older video game systems are worthless in most people's eyes. Yesterday, someone smashed out my car's front driver-side window. I had left three things in the front passenger seat - a GPS unit, a binder full of CDs, and my Lynx II in a case with about 20 games.

Guess what the thief stole? Only the GPS.

The funny thing is, I remember a couple of friends whose cars were broken into in the 90's... the thief would ALWAYS take the CDs. Guess those things are worthless now.

Plus, I probably spent more money on the Lynx and games than the GPS was worth - my Lynx was new-old-stock, and a lot of the games were too.

I can remember when my mother had her car broken into years ago. The crooks took the $0.35 in the ashtray, the radar detector (remember those kids?), and (of all things) the flashlight in the glovebox. She wasn't upset so much about the stuff that got stolen, but rather that the crook didn't touch her CD's! They obviously went through them as they were strewn out all over the driveway, but none were missing. I guess crooks don't like the Beach Boys or Gospel music :)

Tempest

One unexpected benefit of being a classic gamer is that older video game systems are worthless in most people's eyes. Yesterday, someone smashed out my car's front driver-side window. I had left three things in the front passenger seat - a GPS unit, a binder full of CDs, and my Lynx II in a case with about 20 games.

Guess what the thief stole? Only the GPS.

The funny thing is, I remember a couple of friends whose cars were broken into in the 90's... the thief would ALWAYS take the CDs. Guess those things are worthless now.

Plus, I probably spent more money on the Lynx and games than the GPS was worth - my Lynx was new-old-stock, and a lot of the games were too.

Weird huh?

Some thieves broke into our warehouse compound on MLK day and stole my snowmobile trailer and stole a 7 year old grill I had for the employees. The trailer was aluminum,the cops said they will probably chop it up and sell the aluminum.. I did have a skid of 21" crt black monitors under a cover, they were all working and in nice shape,just under a cover. (ran out of room on friday to bring them inside) the thieves didn't touch those.

• 2 weeks later...

My original Lynx was stolen from my Grandparents Cadillac in the 90's. They took me and my sis in their car, and my parents took their car. I had my Lynx about 20 games in the suit case style case in their trunk. The thief took the whole car, drove it about 15 minutes away, and while it had a trunk release IN THE CAR... they took out the seats, and busted a hole in the back wall into the trunk to steal my stuff. STUPID THIEF... I'm glad they were so dumb they had to work for it.

AX

Sucks that they broke into your car - but I'm glad the Lynx is safe!

Nobody's ever broken into my car, but then again, I don't think a 20 year old Japanese sedan is much of a target. And nobody steals cassette decks or cassettes.

My friend's wife, however, had her car broken into last year. It was a 1989 Buick Skylark. I was suprised they went to all the trouble of prying out the little corner window in the rear - they could have probably just reached in through one of the rust holes in the door to unlock it. Seriously, this car was half rust, most of the trim was missing, the bumper was held up with a coat hanger, and most of the rear quarter panels were gone from the rust. And they broke into it. They rummaged through the whole car, and stole... nothing. It was pretty obvious looking at the car, and the contents of the front seats that there wouldn't be anything of value. The $20 portable CD player with the tape-on-a-wire and CD's were untouched.

So, my friend simply covered up the hole where the triangular corner window was with many layers of clear packaging tape. He included a little computer printed sign in it that said "The last people to break into this car found nothing of value. You won't either".

-Ian

I leave my Mazda truck unlocked, and I live in a neighborhood that's not very safe to walk down the street in at night. I've never left anything of any value at all in there, but to my knowledge, nobody's so much as touched the Mazda, either. The funny thing is that if they did open the door, it would take less than three minutes to hotwire the ignition and drive away.

My other truck stays locked. Someone tried to get gas from it a couple of years ago, but to no avail.

I've seen some odd things happen in break ins. My grandma's house was broken into years ago and all they took was a portable stereo. Our house was broken into in the late '80's, and although there were tons of expensive items, they took one thing and that was it. The thieves could have made a fortune selling our stuff to a pawn shop. sometime before we got married, my wife had a Huffy bicycle stolen. It was a single speed cruiser with bent rims, and yet it was still stolen.

Hey, you should be proud young punk kids wanted to play your Atari :P

Sucks the car got broken into, if it was in our neck of the woods, the CD's would have still been stolen not everywhere are they worthless :P (though I wouldn't call a buck a pop a huge haul, even if you had a massive 80cd case that was full. Of course, that's fixing to change, while I still live in the redneck backwoods toilet of the world, even many people here are going to MP3's and such (I still prefer CD's, when at home, just MP3's are so convienant in relation everywhere else)

Anyhow, the crook was probably a newby and just doing a quick "obvious value" thing since the CD's and lynx were in cases, most people recognize video games, and most people would assume it's something new and therefor value (as most people never saw the thing in the first place)

well i'd never leave my lynx alone in the car. just in case criminals here are smarter than where you live.

One time i left my doors unlocked in my brother's driveway. and some thieves stole my CD's (mostly burned CD-Rs mixed), my owners manual, and my garage door opener. Morons. we reprogrammed the garage door. so really, they didn't get anything worth much. must have been stupid kids, the ignition wasn't even damaged, meaning they probably didn't even attempt to steal my car.