IGNORED

Is Dracula any good?

pynew

As this type of game is hard to come by on the Lynx I'd say get it! Here are some pros & cons:

Pro: the graphics are incredible; the "lack" of color gives it a gothic sort of appeal (why should it be brightly colored?)

The game is genuinely creepy/scary!

You're getting it cheap, right?

Con: you can't save your game- no save points, passcodes, etc.

The game is too linear & some parts are repetitive.

It may be too hard to beat w/out a walkthrough.

The "brown" color is supposed to look sepia like an old movie. The 3d view is pretty neat on the link and the puzzles are good. The game does play a bit slow and it is pretty hard to beat without a walkthrough, although I managed to get at least halfway through on my own.

I'd get it because it's not a bad game and it's very, very original, which has been hard to come by for at least a decade.

Eric

Although Dracula is a great game, I must warn you that it's not terribly long... in fact, when you get out of your room, you'll notice that there's a whole hallway that you can't go down because that part of the game was never really finished I guess.

It's still a good game though.

--Zero

Although Dracula is a great game, I must warn you that it's not terribly long... in fact, when you get out of your room, you'll notice that there's a whole hallway that you can't go down because that part of the game was never really finished I guess.

It's still a good game though.

--Zero

Actually the released game in only 1/2 of the actual game. Atari made HMS strip out 1/2 the game so it would fit on a 2Mbit ROM. The full game exists ( in the hands of collectors, not me :-( ) and has more rooms, more sounds and puzzles, and a real catacombs according to HMS.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Atari pushed HMS to get the game ready because they wanted the game to come out in time for the Dracula-movie even if the game was not finished. Then HMS was going release the full version later. There was also talk about a game called Wolfman (Dracula 2) I think, but if this was just the missing parts from Dracula or a complete new game I don´t know...

But Dracula is a GREAT game as it is! I would put it on my top-ten list over the best games for the Lynx :wink:

About pictures: This is some pictures I got from an old Lynx-magazine. The picture at the bottom I have not seen in the game. Can it be from the missing parts?

dracula_100__jpeg_web.jpg

thanks to everybody for your comments on this game. :)

i did buy it for $20.00 australian.we are lucky here at the moment we can still buy a good selection of games as a shop here bought a heap of software off a major supplier.so i am off to play this classic. :D

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Dracula is a landmark among the Lynx library and was a really good game. It wasn't a great game, and for that, we can thank Atari for yet another in an endless line of stupid decisions.

Really, they cut out half the game. Half the game?! What were they thinking? They didn't want to spend a couple more dollars for the extra ROM? This is the same Atari that sunk money down one stupid hole after another: the XE "game system," the Portfolio, the Falcon, the TT, the Jaguar. And yet they couldn't bother to treat their Lynx developers well. Sigh.

Dracula is a fine game, wonderfully drawn in sepia tones, with some wonderfully eerie music (another notch in Handmade's belt). The puzzles seem hard at first, but once you get started, it becomes much easier. There are some great moments, like having to climb out a window and climb across the castle walls, and a few cut-scenes. My favorite moment comes in the castle's basement, where you find a lantern which lights the area around you. It's an amazing visual effect; commonplace on the PSX in 1996, but this was a Lynx in 1993.

There's a lot of running back and forth, no doubt because half the game was cut out. I also wish there were a lot more cut-scenes. There's one scene involving Dracula's brides, but it only occurs once and is over way too soon. That pretty much describes the whole game.