IGNORED

Why so much hate for Playstation Tempest X3?

Warriorisabouttodie

I want to start this off by saying I had a Jag back in the day. I loved T2k and still do. I think it is a brilliant game and yes I prefer the Jaguar version to any of the various versions of it (even the updated Typhoon game). Over the years I've always read how the Playstation version X3 was complete crap. Lately I've been collecting PS1 games and to my suprise there are some great games I over looked when the system was new. I decided I would tak ethe plunge and give Tempest a try. I expected to be disappointed. I popped it in ... the title screen doesnt look as cool as the jags, and the sound of your blaster is a little off putting at first compared to the Jag, but hey wait a minute, the graphics in game are pretty good and the sound is just as good if not better than the Jag version... So I play some more and yes as had been pointed out by Jeff Minter the AI droid is lobotomized in this version but the game is still very good and overall when you take into account the improved grafx/sound (debatable to some degree I know) I think it is just as fun as the Jag version, okay even if you take a lot of points away for some of it's weird ommisions like a AI droid (and annoyingly you can't shoot spikes as you come down web) the game is not as horrible I was led to believe it is still a really fun game. So what is the deal? Do people who have both versions really hate the PS1 version as much as I was led to beleive or what? Am I the only one who likes the PS1 one too?

Just wondering.

One other thing. As a retro gamer who loves Minters games I gotta say it was a serious missed opportunity that they didn't enlist Minter to upgrade tempest 2000 for the PS1, it could of been much much better, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the playstation version to any retro gamer who loves shooters.

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

I never understood it, either. It's true that Tempest X-3 is not a port of Tempest 2000 (the gameplay differs a bit, etc.), but after all, it's not called Tempest 2000 . Nevertheless, it's still a great game. And the graphical effects, though different from Tempest 2000, look very good to me (and the frame rate doesn't drop when there are are lots of objects on screen, which happens sometimes on the Jaguar version).

I guess it's an account of taste. Some people swear by the original Tempest graphics and gameplay, other enjoy the Nuon version (I personally find it too blurry and confusing), etc.

• Like 1

Great game is Tempest x-3.

Been playing it a lot on my PSP :D

Hopefully if the Pandora ever gets made I will be able to play T2K on the move, but until then X-3 keeps me entertained

As for enlisting the Yak, maybe he was still contracted to Atari at that point

Edited by mimo

Yep Tempest 2000 is in Tempest X3 and it's darn close to the Jag version iirc. I've always like Tempest X3. I think maybe why you see so many people bashing it is because Minter himself, iirc, went off in an interview about how he was miffed that he wasn't chosen to work on the game or the Saturn version of Tempest 2000, and then he pointed out the little problems such as the ai droid and such. SO I think a lot of hardcore Tempesters and Minter Fans blew the whole thing about of proportion. ;)

Yep Tempest 2000 is in Tempest X3 and it's darn close to the Jag version iirc. I've always like Tempest X3. I think maybe why you see so many people bashing it is because Minter himself, iirc, went off in an interview about how he was miffed that he wasn't chosen to work on the game or the Saturn version of Tempest 2000, and then he pointed out the little problems such as the ai droid and such. SO I think a lot of hardcore Tempesters and Minter Fans blew the whole thing about of proportion. ;)

Hey that's really cool that Tempest 2000 is in Tx3, I was all excited when I looked it up and according to wikipedia you type YIFF! as a name in the high scores to activate Tempest 2000 mode, but how the hell do you do it when they only allow 3 letters for your high score name?

This is driving me bonkers!!! BTW I also read that there are 2 powerups one is for a AI droid that just follows you around and the other is for a real AI droid, so I guess X3 is even better than I thought!!! but being able to play t2k is really awesome just please fill me in on how to do it!???

thanks

I never played the Jaguar version but i had a blast with the Saturn version of Tempest 2000. While die hard fans say the Jaguar version is still better for me this and the excellent Saturn version of Rayman where just 2 more reasons not to buy a Jaguar.

I also found out how to enter the "YIFF!" cheat in X3 :) :

http://www.cheatscodesguides.com/playstati...ats/tempest-x3/

Ya you have to get a high score (Very TOP high score ;)) playing Tempest X3, and then you are allowed to enter 5 digits, that's where you enter "YIFF!".

looks like I need to sharpen my Tempest skills. The only thing holding me back is the spikes. For some reason compared to the original my lives get wiped out over time because the spikes in this version, they are more persistent (harder to destroy) and harder to see as you go from web to another.

Thanks, it gives me something to shoot for (pun intended).

Maybe people hated it in relation to the DVD version? I seem to remember there being a DVD version, and one of Iron Soldier 3 (wich also ended up on the PSX, IIRC)

I've never played (or even seen) either game in either format, so I can't say one way or the other. But I believe any hateing, is due to it not being on an atari console, and no other reason beyond that.

The Jaguar T2K has the "rotary" controller! Do the other versions support that? JAGUAR RULES!

EXACTLY. Bottom line, the rotary makes Jag T2K twice as fun to play with far better control than any other version or the Jag without a rotary. I doubled my high score the first time I used one. It doesn't make the game "easier," it just allows faster and more precise control to empower the player. In turn the game is much more fun, believe it or not. (I know how can T2K possibly be funner? well the rotary is the answer!)

Edited by Gunstar

I never played the Jaguar version but i had a blast with the Saturn version of Tempest 2000. While die hard fans say the Jaguar version is still better for me this and the excellent Saturn version of Rayman where just 2 more reasons not to buy a Jaguar.

I also found out how to enter the "YIFF!" cheat in X3 :) :

http://www.cheatscodesguides.com/playstati...ats/tempest-x3/

Tempest 3k on the Nuon is really great!

I like the music more than anything in Tempest 3000. :) The first time I got a NUON and popped in T3K, I went to the menu and sat there and listened to the whole soundtrack at high volume. :D Then I played the game and thought, "Tempest 2000 is much better" :D. The soundtrack in T3K totally kicks ass though, has all the songs from 2K plus new tracks.

Do people who have both versions really hate the PS1 version as much as I was led to beleive or what?

Speaking for myself as well as all my friends who have played the different versions with me in person => YES!

Am I the only one who likes the PS1 one too?

Unfortunately not! :P

I have all the original Tempest 2000 versions across the different platforms released: PC, Mac, Jaguar, Saturn, etc. (as well as similar: Space Giraffe, etc.)

Out of all of them i MUCH PREFER the original Tempest 2000 on the Jag - especially when playing with a rotary controller. You just can't beat T2K with a rotary - that's how it was meant to be played. I next preferred the Saturn version, but seriously i just could not squeeze any fun out of the PSX version (personally speaking).

I also have T3k for my NUONs and while i like it i just don't find it as fun as T2k, though i still prefer it to Tempest X3.

Also, for anyone who likes the various Tempest games (T2k, T3k, X3,) i HIGHLY recommend you get/play Space Giraffe on the 360's XBLA. I think that this new version of Tempest is quite fun and very challenging, especially when trying to beat your (and your friends') best score(s). The bull rim is a quite innovative in trying to boost your score multipliers and dominating the High Score Boards.

However, in the end, there can only be one winner:

Tempest 2000 on the Atari Jaguar with Rotary Controller!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Maybe people hated it in relation to the DVD version? I seem to remember there being a DVD version, and one of Iron Soldier 3 (wich also ended up on the PSX, IIRC)

I've never played (or even seen) either game in either format, so I can't say one way or the other. But I believe any hateing, is due to it not being on an atari console, and no other reason beyond that.

I have both the PSX and NUON versions of Iron Soldier 3 and i much prefer the NUON version. Actually, out of everyone that has played BOTH, i have never heard of anyone that prefers the PSX version. Apart from the visuals, i much preferred the controls on the NUON.

Here is a review detailing the differences between the two versions of IS3:

Iron Soldier 3: NUON vs PS1

First: Jag T2k IS better than psux tx/2k. Second: I agree, it's not THAT much better (as people purport.)

Third: It still entirely misses the point, the best tempest on the psx is Nanotek Warrior and N20. :) They really are awesome. And in a similar but different category is also the supreme Internal Section (IIRC all of these run on the dreamcast beta bleemcast in hi-res and look AWESOME (funny that the dc psx emu makes ps1 games look better than my ps2 or ps3 do...)

Great game is Tempest x-3.

Been playing it a lot on my PSP :D

Hopefully if the Pandora ever gets made I will be able to play T2K on the move, but until then X-3 keeps me entertained

As for enlisting the Yak, maybe he was still contracted to Atari at that point

No, he was probably with VM Labs at that point.